No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2005-09-03, 12:45pm
trying to follow along

Default No "real" studio space??

anyone here not have a place where they can permantely set up a torch etc??

I'm chompin' at the bit to get set up LOL I'm waiting to find out how soon I can get into this class since I agreed to take at least one class before buying anything (my dh knows me all to well) but I'm not going to have anyplace I can permantely set up. I'd be torching on the back patio (concrete slab, with a 20' ceiling two open "walls") but I have no idea how to store anything... course I'm not even sure what all I'll be storing LOL
Old 2005-09-03, 2:57pm
Button Queen

I'm currently working on the deck. Hubby is fixing up a spare room in the back of the house (or, at least he will be at some point). In the meantime, I set up and take down every time I want to torch.

The biggest frustration is the wind. On a calm day it isn't bad, but on a windy day I might as well forget it. Like today was NOT a good torch day. I spent 45 minutes setting up and then made a whole 8 beads before I gave up in frustration and spent another 45 minutes cleaning up.

I have 4 cats, so I have LOTS of empty kitty litter buckets at my disposal for storage. I cut up PVC and put them into the buckets, and then have my glass in that. It's pretty portable, although heavy. I also have another bucket that has my torch, regulators, hoses, crescent wrench etc. Everything I need to set up the torch.

I also have a couple of rubbermade/tupperware containers that I keep short pieces and shorter stringers in, for storage. And I have a small metal toolbox for all my tools - marver, mandrels, pliers, BBQ smashers, tweezers, etc. I got the toolbox at a yard sale for $1. It's an old one - perfect sized for what I need.
Old 2005-09-03, 3:22pm
I fart diamonds

I torch in my kitchen and mystuff is stored in these little plastic cabinets I bought at Walmart. I stacked 2 of them, glass in the top, misc. items in the bottom one:

I put those furniture gliders on mine, but you could use casters to make them more portable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-09-03, 8:56pm
trying to follow along

ooh both great ideas! I have lots of kitty liter buckets too! Do either of you own a kiln or do you take them elsewhere?
Old 2005-09-07, 11:07am
Button Queen

Currently I do NOT own a kiln. I take them to someone who does and batch anneal them. I've lost a couple of nice ones that way though - they split before I could get them annealed.

I'm hoping to have a kiln before the end of the year.
Old 2005-09-07, 9:22pm

Barb this might help you. When I was transporting MY beads for annealing, bought a crock pot. Filled it with vermiculite and set it on HIGH while I torched. Turned it down to low after and took it to the lady with the kiln immediately. It helped cut down on the casualties!
Hugs
lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan
Currently I do NOT own a kiln. I take them to someone who does and batch anneal them. I've lost a couple of nice ones that way though - they split before I could get them annealed.

I'm hoping to have a kiln before the end of the year.

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-09-08, 7:10am
Button Queen

That sounds like a great solution - except that I generally can't get my beads to the kiln quickly. It's generally days or even weeks later. I gather them up and then wait until I have a fuller kiln load.

Hubby is now hot on the trail of the kiln-building tutorials. He's an electrician so he understands all that controller and relay and wiring stuff. He's going to a place that has firebrick today to see what he can find. And I found some sources for the Fuji controller that seems to be so popular in annealers. I made some beads this weekend that he really liked, and they promptly cracked (black and ivory tigers with amber encasing - a bit larger than some of my others). So now he's determined to "save my beads". LOL! Guess I should have made the tiger beads sooner! We just haven't been able to scrape enough money together for a kiln.
Old 2005-09-08, 7:56am

Thats whay I started getting my beads to the kiln ASAP and selling them on EBAY. What I made and SOLD, paid for my $550 chili-pepper!
Lynnie
Quote:
That sounds like a great solution - except that I generally can't get my beads to the kiln quickly. It's generally days or even weeks later. I gather them up and then wait until I have a fuller kiln load.

Hubby is now hot on the trail of the kiln-building tutorials. He's an electrician so he understands all that controller and relay and wiring stuff. He's going to a place that has firebrick today to see what he can find. And I found some sources for the Fuji controller that seems to be so popular in annealers. I made some beads this weekend that he really liked, and they promptly cracked (black and ivory tigers with amber encasing - a bit larger than some of my others). So now he's determined to "save my beads". LOL! Guess I should have made the tiger beads sooner! We just haven't been able to scrape enough money together for a kiln.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-09-08, 7:58am
trying to follow along

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelady
Barb this might help you. When I was transporting MY beads for annealing, bought a crock pot. Filled it with vermiculite and set it on HIGH while I torched. Turned it down to low after and took it to the lady with the kiln immediately. It helped cut down on the casualties!
Hugs
lynnie
where can you buy just vermiculite. I've only ever seen it mixed in with potting soil....
Old 2005-09-08, 8:07am

I bought mine from Suncoast beads or one of those type places... hold on .... I'll look
I bought it here:
http://www.pinzart.com/catalog/supplies.html (scroll down)
http://www.pinzart.com/instruction.html instructional look under steps #5. However we leave the bead ON THE MANDREL, don't remove it.
I live in the boonies so I KEEP Vermiculite in case I wish to make beads and we loose electricity.
Lynnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked Baubble
where can you buy just vermiculite. I've only ever seen it mixed in with potting soil....

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2005-09-08, 5:37pm
JOAT, Master of None

I got mine from Lowes home improvement, or Home depot. Which ever is near you.
I bought a HUGE bag for less than $3. It was a pretty big bag.
It was in the garden section with the potting soil. I had to ask for it, because they only had one kind and it blended in.
Old 2005-09-08, 7:05pm
Fire Diva

Quote:
. And I found some sources for the Fuji controller that seems to be so popular in annealers.
You can always add a digital controller later....I have a kiln with the Fuji and recently bought another kiln with the Barlett...and the Bartlett I love!! It is quiet!! My fuji seemed to be a noisy critter. Just thought you would like an comparison...I am sure you will receive many more....as with any tool it is all personal taste.

Old 2005-09-10, 5:40pm

Hi all.....just my two cents....but this article has always stuck in my head from when I first started lampworking. It's made me stay clear of heated vermiculite......hopefully I can attach the connection here.

http://www.dragonbeads.com/vermiclt.html

Old 2005-09-23, 9:10pm
*glass spaz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry Chick
Hi all.....just my two cents....but this article has always stuck in my head from when I first started lampworking. It's made me stay clear of heated vermiculite......hopefully I can attach the connection here.

http://www.dragonbeads.com/vermiclt.html
I was told that perlite had a different chemical composition and wouldn't perform like vermiculite. I just read that page as best as I can. Has anyone else used perlite instead? Because I use vermiculite to cool my beads until I can get them to a kiln to be batch annealed. But, I'd rather not use it if there is an asbestos link.

(long time lurker, first time poster, sorry if I feel I know y'all! )