No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-09-29, 8:23pm
Ghost Town Glass

Jim's tool is the best ever!

I have done lots of hand setting, but this is so much easier, so fast. I am thrilled with the beads I cored and capped today!!!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-09-29, 8:25pm
Broken

We spent all day making bead caps and coring beads! This is one of the BEST tools I've ever used. I broke two beads only because neither of them were balanced beads to start with. The press itself is so simple to use and well made it's just fantastic!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-09-29, 8:32pm
Wild at Heart!

WOW! I've got to add to what Nicole and Janine said. This tool ROCKS!! I can't believe I waited so long to use it after I bought it!!!

It's SO easy to use! The only reason that I had to tap the bead was because of MY beads being uneven on the big mandrels. I broke two, but both of them had slightly uneven ends.

Jim has made this tool so well it's incredibly easy to use! No more dapping tools for me. This is so much quicker!

Wahoooooooooo! I had such a blast today making bead caps and coring breads

Kristi

??
Old 2007-10-02, 10:07am

What size tubing do you need for beads made on the following mandrels?
3/16
1/4
1/2

Do you go strictly on the OD (outer diamter) of the tubing, so that 1/4" tubing works fine on 1/4 mandrel beads? or is that too loose?

I want to order some tubing, but I want to make sure that the size is correct.
Old 2007-10-02, 10:37am
Certified Glassaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknapp View Post
Sold me Kimberly
It's on my Christmas list, but I may buy it myself since the price goes up Sunday
lol
Jill
What is the price going up to? Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger and buy one now based on all your glowing reviews.

-Yee

Old 2007-10-02, 1:52pm

Kim,
Did you use the Die size that comes with the tool or the larger size that can be purchased extra?
They look great!!

Old 2007-10-02, 9:13pm

Hi The price of the bead press is not going up for a while and none of the bead tool prices are going up ether. Some of the glass blowing tools prices are going up in order to keep up with increases in material costs. So there is no rush to spend the rent money on the press. The press comes with a small die for tubing up to 3/16 and two larger dies and a plastic setting die are available also for $50 each. Thank you for all of the nice comments! Jim Moore
Old 2007-10-02, 9:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
What size tubing do you need for beads made on the following mandrels?
3/16
1/4
1/2

Do you go strictly on the OD (outer diamter) of the tubing, so that 1/4" tubing works fine on 1/4 mandrel beads? or is that too loose?

I want to order some tubing, but I want to make sure that the size is correct.
I will post tube sizes from Rio Grande that will work with 3/32, 5/32, 1/4 and 1/2" mandrel tomorrow..... too tired tonight to get out the catalog!

Andrea

Old 2007-10-02, 9:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlene Balkcum View Post
Kim,
Did you use the Die size that comes with the tool or the larger size that can be purchased extra?
They look great!!
I am pretty sure that Kimberly used the 1/4" insert along with the plastic setting die......

Andrea

Old 2007-10-02, 10:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Yes, that is what I used. Andrea! Why aren't you asleep?!?!?!
LOL Need Beads for Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have to stay awake!!!!!!!!!

Old 2007-10-02, 10:10pm
Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotter View Post
LOL Need Beads for Japan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have to stay awake!!!!!!!!!
You are making beads at this hour! Good lord!

Old 2007-10-03, 7:35am
Ad astra per aspera

I've never seen Jim's so I can't comment, but I've tried the Retro Tools liner several times and find it to be very easy to use. It seems like you'd have to be very inattentive to break a bead, but you do have to work slowly. I can definitely see Jim's point about sharp edges and poor holes being a problem. I've only tried the Retro one on beads that I thought were 'best' in terms of holes.

Old 2007-10-03, 8:36am
Normal is Boring!!

Andrea and Jim to the rescue- yahoo

Plastic Insert???? What is that? What'd I miss man??? This may be a bit help?? Was one suppose to come with the press?? I'm off to look again-

I am working it pretty close to your instructions- But I noticed the handle moves fast once it's at its final part of the flair.

I need to really ease into it and just really get the feel- I was doing the one end and flipping back and forth like you suggested. I think your gonna crack many in the learning process- so I am still gonna try.
Maybe it's the metal guage thickness??? Is there a "better" guage to use for the sterling??

Andrea- you are top on my list of teachers- So when I get the chance I'm seeking you out- I'm your best bead staker you have! Trudi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfotter View Post
Hi Trudi,
Sounds to me like you are pulling way too hard. Is your machine bolted down on a table? This helps a lot. I first flare one end of the tube without the bead and then put the tube through the bead, turn it around so the unflared tube is up and flare again, turn around and repeat and repeat again on the other side. Don't try to do it all with one pull of the handle. Does this make sense to you????? Then when you are done with this you use the plastic insert and it will totally flatten the silver tubing to the bead! I will be teaching some more of my masters classes next year! I could teach you! But I am sure with practice you will do just fine!

take care
Andrea

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Last edited by Afterdark; 2007-10-03 at 8:56am.
Old 2007-10-03, 12:55pm

Ok here are the Rio Grande part #'s for the tubing........

mandrel size part #

3/32 100-955
5/32 100-905
1/4 100-907/14
1/2 100-907/12

hope this helps some of you.

Andrea

Old 2007-10-03, 2:46pm
Broken

Here are some quick pics of what I did in class.

Lined and capped, the bullseye one on the top left is actually a ring! Jim is making a special piece so I can use the press for rings!

This one is so nice it's going on ebay!

Old 2007-10-03, 5:08pm
Wild at Heart!

Trudi ~ I'm not sure what you are doing to break them Like Andrea said.. put in just the tubing, and slightly flair the top. Insert the bead and flip to the other end of the tubing. Flair slightly. Flip, Flair slightly again, flip, fliar slightly again, until you are done. I found it really hard to break a bead.

For those of you wondering.. Here is a picture of the bead press and a bead actually being pressed.

Here are the pictures of beads I capped and cored in the class i took with Andrea

Kristi

??
Old 2007-10-03, 5:53pm

Nicker and Kristi JUST LOVELY I really like the finished look that this gives.

Thanks Andrea for the item numbers!

I don't have a Rio Grande catalog, and was thinking about tagging on to the current bulk silver buy from Monsterslayer, I think. Are those sizes the same as the mandrel size? That is, is 100-955 (for 3/32 rods) 3/32 outer diameter tubing? is it that simple? ( I feel like such a dummy for having trouble with this concept. )

Last edited by LyndaJ; 2007-10-03 at 6:16pm.
Old 2007-10-04, 6:58am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I just got my tool from Jim Moore & am going to use it later this evening. I am so happy to have this great information & thanks to everyone.

Are you all making your bead caps from PMC or sterling? I'm wondering what guage sterling sheet you would get to punch out circles for bead caps. Does anyone know?

Vivian

-

Old 2007-10-04, 8:17am

Here's a summary of Rio part numbers, mandrel size, and outer diameter of tubing needed.

3/32" 100-955 OD: .114"; ID: .082"
5/32" 100-905 OD: .188"; ID: .156"
3/16" 100-905 OD: .188"; ID: .156" This should work for both 5/32 and 3/16.
1/4" 100-907/14 OD: .250"; ID: .218"
1/2" 100-907/12 OD: .500"; ID: .468"
Old 2007-10-04, 10:51am

Oh for Pete's sake..I came on this thread at random and I think I just saw some BIG buckos fly out my window! I had one bitty class on this technique and thought I would like to get the stuff..hammer etc...and now you folks show me this handy dandy tool and I fall off the cliff lusting for it...

I just need to stay away from this site!
Can't wait to get one..lets see...5 days subbing @ $$$= Send mine soon!

Anne

Old 2007-10-04, 5:51pm
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
I just got my tool from Jim Moore & am going to use it later this evening. I am so happy to have this great information & thanks to everyone.

Are you all making your bead caps from PMC or sterling? I'm wondering what guage sterling sheet you would get to punch out circles for bead caps. Does anyone know?
Vivian,

We made our bead caps out of PMC. If you want just plain silver sheet one, I think Rio Grande sells them pre-cut in different size circles.

??
Old 2007-10-04, 5:52pm
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne225 View Post
Oh for Pete's sake..I came on this thread at random and I think I just saw some BIG buckos fly out my window! I had one bitty class on this technique and thought I would like to get the stuff..hammer etc...and now you folks show me this handy dandy tool and I fall off the cliff lusting for it...

I just need to stay away from this site!
Can't wait to get one..lets see...5 days subbing @ $$$= Send mine soon!

Anne
always happy to help other people spend their money

??
Old 2007-10-04, 6:15pm

I thought this information might help people. This is from LindaJ but I am adding the pricing for people to compare it to other sites.
I purchased from RIO last week. Silver was at $13.78..... I think that was the high..... lucky me!!! LOL

Anyway, I purchased 6 OZ. and the oz. price was $23.18 an oz. This changes daily but you can guess based on my silver price above.

5/32" 100-905 OD: .188"; ID: .156" 12" tube cost $13.29 about 1.10 an inch if you do not loose any to waste and screw ups....... ( I purchased 3)

3/16" 100-905 OD: .188"; ID: .156" This should work for both 5/32 and 3/16. This is the same stock number as above?

1/4" 100-907/14 OD: .250"; ID: .218" 12" tube cost $17.66 each for 1.50 an inch if no waste..... (I purchased 2)

100-90738 OD:.375 or 3/8" ID: .343? 12" tube cost $27.38 each (purchased 1)

1/2" 100-907/12 OD: .500"; ID: .468" 12" tube cost $37.78 each (purchased 1)

This information was off my bill. I am not sure if these are good prices but I thought it would help people price against other sites. Please post better deals if you see them. Again, I only purchased 6 ounces of silver. I received a total of 7 tubes for about $140. I liner is due here on Monday. Please wish me luck. I have no idea what I am doing......

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2007-10-04, 7:34pm

They're (Rio) better thanr monsterslayer. Monsterslayer was close to $60 for half inch.

Yep the stock number was the same for both (the .188 should work for 3/16 and it's what Andrea uses for 5/32)
Old 2007-10-04, 8:13pm

I got Jim Moore.... I might have some questions....
My first is:
How did you cut the tube? Did you use a pipe cutter from Home Depot or a saw?

Old 2007-10-04, 10:17pm
Wild at Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasi View Post
I got Jim Moore.... I might have some questions....
My first is:
How did you cut the tube? Did you use a pipe cutter from Home Depot or a saw?
Used a cut off saw from Harbor freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42307

If you have one local, print out this page and bring it with you and they will honor the internet price, because at the store they were the regular price.

This worked like a dream and you don't have the "edges" to file off from the pipe cutter. I have a jewelers saw too, but I'm sort of challenged in that arena!

Andrea, I hope you don't mine me sharing the link!

Kristi

??
Old 2007-10-05, 5:45am

Thank you for the link.

I wish I could take Andrea's class. I would LOOOOOve to. I am in Florida and travel like that is out for me right now. I do hope to some day visit the area and also take Andrea's class! Oh, how I wish I could!

Thanks again.....

Old 2007-10-05, 5:51am

oooooh We have a local Harbor Freight.
Old 2007-10-05, 10:45am

I have a Harbor Freight and I just got home from there. I printed out your link. Thank you. The price was different in the store but I had the sheet with me and they finally honored the price.

I also purchsed this. It is on sale in the store for 29.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93539

I also purchased a PNEUMATIC ROLLER SEAT with fire flames on the leather. It was special priced....$79 to $15.38. I could not resist anything with flames.

if anyone is interested in the mini saw, remember to print out the internet sale so you get the lower price!!!!!

Thank you Andrea and KristiB for the link!

Old 2007-12-27, 3:12pm
Bead Scientist

I got Jim Moore's bead press for Christmas and just lined my first test bead. It's incredibly easy to use, now that I've figured it out.

I just wanted to say thanks for all the tips and tricks in this post. The press didn't come with instructions on how to use the plastic dies to flatten the ends, so if this post weren't available I would be scratching my head about now.

And thanks for the cutoff saw link -- it's perfect!

Vickie