Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-05, 7:59am
yukue fumei

Default Moving: how do you pack glass rods for storage?

HI-
I'm not sure where to post this question…but I am considering a move and want to know how you pack glass for long term storage(maybe as long as 6 months).

Can I pack them in boxes or do I need wooden crates?
How high can I stack the boxes before the weight is too much?
I have a ton of glass so this will take me a while. Any suggestions are very appreciated! thank you so much!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nagi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-05, 8:24am

I went to Wally world and bought a bunch of Totes type bins. Most of the 104 fit in one way, the BE fit in the other way and thankfully I didn't have a bunch of boro when I moved here.
Oh yeah. I bought probably 2 ginormous rolls of bubble wrap at office max too. The bins got tight packed and duct taped. I don't think they got stacked more than 4 high.

Old 2014-05-05, 8:47am

I bought PVC tubes and end caps from Lowe's. I had my stuff in storage for over 3 years. I learned from experience mice and spiders love glass tubing and cardboard boxes. I still use this storage method in the shop.
Old 2014-05-05, 10:24am

I used PODS to move 1500 miles. This was much cheaper than a mover because movers go by weight. First I had things in heavy cardboard tubes and then in boxed. By the third box being stacked the bottom box was crushed. Ended up using crates from U-line inside of the PODS. PODS was also better for long term storage. Our stuff stayed cleaner there than in the storage units that we moved some of it into.

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2014-05-05, 10:50am
Glass-aholic

I bundled and wrapped my glass with plastic wrap (hand roll on a stick-staples has it). then I put it in totes. and put lighter things on top. I wrapped and layered it with either towels, sheets, table clothes or bubble wrap. stuff I was already moving...

I put my tools in the smaller shoe box size totes wrapped in bubble wrap and taped shut in the top of the totes as my 'lighter things". I may have actually had a few totes where the shoe boxes were on the bottom and glass on the top too.

I put stringers and twisties in cardboard tubes lightly wrapped with bubble and taped the ends and placed it in the top of the totes as well.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-05, 10:51am
Glass-aholic

LABLE EVERYTHING IF IT IS NOT ALREADY LABLED!!!! its easy when you put your 96 coe glass on the 'left shelf' in your studio, but not so much when its packed! lol

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-05-05, 11:16am
Artistically Absorbed

I made a big move a few years ago. I took about 10lbs. at a time and made tight bundles with them, and put about 6 to 8 bundles in a box with cushioning around them. The glass rods seem to do really well when they are grouped together tightly. I think I had one or two broken rods when it all was unpacked. Considering it had to go over bumpy dirt roads, then was stacked on palettes, loaded into a container van, went over bumpy dirt roads again to be loaded onto a ship, spent 7 days at sea, drove to a warehouse, where then it had to be unloaded from the palettes and then loaded into a Uhaul , and finally driven to where I moved and unloaded in to the shop. I think that worked pretty well with only 2 broken rods. Listen to Jaci though about labeling everything!

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-05-05, 12:30pm
And silence is golden

Tight bundles as Becca says. Roll in foam wrap. Label!!!
Old 2014-05-05, 12:54pm
Shelarious

I stored and then moved my glass in drawers like these, and taped them shut. It worked just fine, but mine was only an in-town move.

Old 2014-05-06, 9:08pm
yukue fumei

thank you so much everyone!! I really appreciate your advice--very very much. I will follow what jaci said and label everything. I am not the greatest about that but I have all different COE's and the last thing I need is to get things mixed up. I am going to try the totes with lots of bubble wrap. My cardboard boxes crushed under the weight of my art books so that had me thinking my glass wouldn't do well… I don't want sadness... I'll be careful not to stack too high. Thank you so so much. This is going to take me forever but a little care now will save heartache later. I've never done this before and it is a bit nervewracking!

nagi

Old 2014-05-09, 11:40am

It took me 2 years to pack up my CT house. Now that is forever!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !