Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-13, 1:27pm
...displaced ocean lover

Default What is your favorite skull press/mold???

I usually make skulls/zombies by hand but I just got a mega order (or it is for me anyway) for 60 skulls. I thought a press would be handy. Anyone got a favorite?

I'm thinking a flat-ish back would be the best and fastest.
I like this one
http://www.bavarianbeads.com/product...roducts_id=368
but she has 5 and I can't figure out, other than size, what the physical difference is between the 3D half and 3D flat. Does anyone have either one of those?

And there is this one,
http://www.zooziis.com/skullmold.aspx
which I assume would definately be flat but it seems tricky to use w/o smashing off the bead release. Anyone??

Are there others out there of which I am woefully unaware??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2014-02-13, 1:50pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I have a bavarian one but it's not the flat one. The front looks just like the one you posted, but my back is deep. It's easy to use & you'd probably be happy with it.

Vivian

-

Old 2014-02-13, 3:29pm
...displaced ocean lover

Thanks Vivian, for the photo and vote. I like the way his little eyes are shaped kind of like Aliens. LOL

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2014-02-13, 5:31pm

I have the flat backed press. Once the learning curve as to how to load the glass is over..it's a nice skull Roo. In pendant form, the flat back lays well

Good luck
Old 2014-02-13, 6:33pm
...displaced ocean lover

Talking

Yay, got a reply back already:
The 3D Flat is on both sides flat like a lentil, the 3D Half have a full 3D
skull face and only the back part of the head is flat.

Of course, now I want the flat one, too! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Oops View Post
I have the flat backed press. Once the learning curve as to how to load the glass is over..it's a nice skull Roo. In pendant form, the flat back lays well

Good luck
That is exactly what I wanted to hear! Tks...Will it make nice sugar-skulls?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2014-02-15, 1:12am
I speak Murrini!

I have a custom press from Bavarian - 1 Flat and 1 3-D! I so love my press! Here's a quick pic of a small El Diablo set I made:

You can see here how the back of the Skull is curved...this takes some practice as Ali said.

Sorry, I don't have a pic of the Flat Skull at the moment; I do have an example out in my garden though! It was my first try, and the bead release broke underneath the bead. Needless to say, this one became a plant stake! I can try and take a pic if you'd like...

Hope you find what works out for you! And congrats on your big order!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2014-02-15, 11:42am
...displaced ocean lover

Oh! Thanks so much! I think that the half or flat one might be the better one to use, since I have so many to make. And the flat seems like a groovy bracelet idea, too.

De you have my email, right? Can you send me a pic of your flower stake?

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2014-02-19, 10:07pm
It's all about the color.

I have the BB Flat Skull too, and I'm not really thrilled by it. It's face is too "Robotic/Alien" looking for my taste. Not that tough to use though. Forgive my quickie iPhone pix. The first shot shows you how flat it is. You can also see that in the back, there is no detail at all. The 2nd shot shows the front.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2014-02-20, 7:02am
...displaced ocean lover

Thumbs up

Kay, your iPhone pics are far better than anything my Android phone can do. To be fair, they DID tell me that when I bought it. But I wanted swipe-text.

Thanks for those pics! I see what you mean....but that lack of detail might work to an advantage for me b/c now I can make skulls, aliens. AND ZOMBIES!!!
I make them now but I think having a press to get that initial shape quickly will be a big plus. Especially if it's not hard to use.

Thanks so much for posting!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2014-02-21, 5:53pm
Melody of Glass

I have the half flat and I love it. I think with the top back of the head a bit flatter, it's more versatile for jewelry.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2014-02-23, 2:08pm
They see me rollin'...

I have the Zoozii's skull mold. I love it! I push the front of the bead into the mold and sculpt the back of the skull myself. It's really easy to do the sculpting part. I like the shape of the skull.

Or you can leave it flat if you want.

I would post a pic but all my bead pics are on my old laptop...

-Patti
Old 2014-02-25, 12:11pm
...displaced ocean lover

Oh boy...I ordered both the flat and half flat. I couldn't help it, I just couldn't make up my mind! Flat would make such great bracelets and half-flat for sugar skulls and pendants. (what's a girl to do??)

The Zoozii press had the best face I think but I could see me losing a lot of bead release with that one when I went to smash it.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2014-03-05, 1:12am

I like them, I might get one to make them for my daughter. She loves things like that. Thanks for the info.
Old 2014-03-15, 4:07pm

put in my order
Old 2014-03-16, 8:55am
...displaced ocean lover

Default They are here and so is the Zombie Apocalypse!

OMG....these presses just make the shaping a breeze!!!

I find I have more trouble with the thinner/flat one in getting the glass just right but still soooo much faster than shaping my hand!!
Attached Images

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2014-03-16, 11:02pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Roo, seeing what you've posted (I found them in the zombie thread first), I reckon it's probably going to be easier to just do what you're doing.
I make a lot of little ones, too, and after a little while, once you get into a rhythm, it's pretty quick work. And yeah, if I get some wrong, they turn into devils or aliens

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2014-03-17, 10:47pm

I see a zombies lol
Old 2014-03-20, 11:21am
...displaced ocean lover

Hahahaaa....Nighthawk!

Di, post 'em in the Zombie thread...this place is getting downright boring with all those pretty "regular" beads!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Tags
halloween, molds, presses, skull