No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-11-09, 8:41pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Default Apricot Jam

Okay so I bought what I thought was 3lbs + of Petrified Wood- I must say that for the price it better be PW since what I am afraid of is that it is plain ole Apricot Jam which is still widely available.

So my question is does Apricot Jam or any of the other vetro orange odds similar to that have a black core? I am just not getting color out of this new glass like I am used to it is a much paler orange- it is labeled 791999 which is petrified wood but it is no where near the dark color that my other rods turn- Was there this much variance in this color???

I have 2 different batches- both came from the same source or should I say the person who sold it to me. One rod has a black core then white/cream, then the outer color, the next rod has the core colors reversed- I had both of those types myself from WAY back so when I saw the pictures I had no reason to believe that these were any different.

The only difference between the two that I had from my old stash was that the white core/black next rod came out just a shade darker- but still both rods produced a great sparkly burnt orange.

Any help identifying would be great- I really want my good petrified wood

HUGS Michelle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-11-09, 8:42pm

This is the chart that shows the rods and I must say mine look a lot like they could be either PW or AJ
http://www.artistryinglass.on.ca/chart/vetrofond.html

Old 2011-11-10, 3:19pm
Lampworkaholic!

The PW batches varied. I don't think Apricot has a black core, it may be Rhubarb if it isn't PW.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-11-11, 1:28am
Mom to 20 paws

Rhubarb also has a black core with white.

Etsy jewelry-

AAA Gemstone Beads Etsy-
Old 2011-11-11, 8:48am
T.J. made me do it

Cosmic Storm has a black core and is very similar to Pet. Wood. The rod in Cosmic Storm is a wee bit lighter and the core is a bit smaller that Pet. Wood. The bead is usually orange-er.

Old 2011-11-11, 9:51am
uncouthful cats

I have PW that is vastly different with regard to the cool & colorful factor. The first time I used some of the not-so-cool batch I thought, "Hm, I thought I really liked PW. I guess not so much". Then I used a rod of the nifty stuff & figured it out. Apparently there can be quite a bit of difference depending upon the batch. I think I've even seen postings in the garage sale about the original PW, or the colorful batch of PW, or something like that.

I hope some of the 3 lbs. is the good stuff.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2011-11-13, 5:52pm

WOW thank you all for chiming in!! Okay here is the deal I think I have a not so cute batch and the "good stuff" so far the good stuff out weighs the bad in quantity but I just realized that some of the "lighter" colored rods are labeled with the PW # then an X at the end? I know it is not Cosmic Storm I have about 2 lbs of that and it has never looked like this.

Maybe standing for "xtra light??" Anywho that PW should still be cool when paired with turquoise and reactive shards and I think will look great etched- but it is not what I need for the beads I have been making- Here is a picture of the beads made with the original stuff I had and this is the color I am looking to repeat: I am just hoping that I can get this color out of the darker rods but not sure since I have yet to test it.

I sure wish Vetro would make this and yellow ice again oh and parrot green and and and and

Old 2011-11-14, 11:43am
Triumphantly Knit!

Those are beautiful. Being the orange addict that I am, PW is one colour I've never had. I'm just gonna pretend I didn't see those or I may be up nights wondering how to get some!

I hope the colours work out for you.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-11-14, 2:16pm
Life is change. Love it

I have pounds of the crappy petrified wood. Sucks.

Old 2011-11-14, 3:35pm

OH NO Carolyn!!! So when you mean crappy you mean what???? I mean one mans trash is anothers treasure lol. But I hear yah if it is like the lighter batch then I am sooooo not into that color lol

Rowyn- If I find out that this is the good stuff I will happily gift you a few rods- pay it forward in my book! BTW I will PM you cuz I know there is another LE'r who has a little but I went with the person who could sell me a bunch lol.

HUGS to you all

Old 2011-11-14, 3:45pm
Life is change. Love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDoorBeads View Post
OH NO Carolyn!!! So when you mean crappy you mean what???? I mean one mans trash is anothers treasure lol. But I hear yah if it is like the lighter batch then I am sooooo not into that color lol

Rowyn- If I find out that this is the good stuff I will happily gift you a few rods- pay it forward in my book! BTW I will PM you cuz I know there is another LE'r who has a little but I went with the person who could sell me a bunch lol.

HUGS to you all
It's just blah. Like an inferior coral. I have to tell you a few years ago I made it my mission to try and track down the 'good stuff'. Which is why I ended up with so much!

I have a ton of coral too, I used to use it a lot, but haven't touched it in years.

Old 2011-11-14, 6:51pm

Hmmmm that is such a shame because I think I have the crummy stuff too did it look like a yucky light pumpkin mush color with streaks of what look like brownish things lol I know bad explanation but if you have that then I feel so bad for you!!!

I am going to go through the batch though with a fine toothed comb cuz I do not want to be wrong about what I have- The good stuff did have lighter and darker rods but I am wondering what the other factors are??

What corals do you have? I love corals I use them a lot for bases and also for dots it just seems to be a great color but way too many variations.

Anyway I need to learn when something sounds too good to be true!