No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-08-04, 1:52pm
sandybead

Default Stringing Material

I have been asked to make a cheaper product for a local gift shop. What do you use to string your beads? Any ideas for inexpensive closures? Will elastic cord work? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much

SandyBead
www.sandyandersonbeads.com
Old 2014-08-04, 2:40pm

I use fish line quire a bit for wind chimes and steampunk items.
a bit more expensive upfront but you end up with a lot of material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-08-04, 4:26pm

What are you making?

I've been using pewter and silver plated base metal and copper to reduce costs of late.

Sterling has been too expensive for most customers in the past couple of years.

I hate lowering my standards as I think the glass deserves precious metals, but if people won't buy it because it has $30 worth of silver in it, it's not doing me any good.

Depending on what the item is, you can often get away with the cheaper chinese Tiger tail. I double it up for heavier items. though for a bracelet or something that will get alot of knocks and wear I still use the quality heavy gauge.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2014-08-04, 5:39pm
sandybead

Thanks, it is hard to lower but my standards, however, I would really like to make this new gift shop happy. All suggestions are welcome!!!

SandyBead
Old 2014-08-04, 7:20pm
Slogan Challenged...

You could try memory wire, or is that still too pricey? Ribbon or cord would be nice, and easy to do closures.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2014-08-05, 5:52am

Default Cheap stringing material

For bracelets use Stretch Magic. Get the 1mm size and some superglue.

This stuff works great and is very cheap. There are $80.00 bracelets on Etsy that are strung with Stretch Magic.
Old 2014-08-05, 2:16pm
StudioMarcy

I didn't know you were at St. Simon's. We were just there. Darn. Hope you found what you needed for your bracelets. It's always good to have different price points of your line of work. Sounds like you are finding them.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2014-08-06, 4:54pm
sandybead

Thanks everyone, the meeting went well. Marcy, next time thou are on the island let me know.
Sandybead
Old 2014-08-06, 6:56pm
StudioMarcy

Will do!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2014-08-07, 6:18am
Glass-aholic

What about a simpler line with generally less materials? Simple pendants or charms etc rather than the more involved pieces? I always have a bit of everything because I think everyone should be able to afford art.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Tags
stringing materials