Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-09, 1:23pm

Default S.O.S. Gettine the bead release out of HOLE!!!:-(((

Hey all ~ Newbie here..I've tried many solutions on getting that darn release out! Dremel, Baking Soda & vinegar, Soaking them over night!!
I use Fusion~which I luv~ but maybe it's not the right release for me??!!

Should i do this immediately~when beads are done after annealing and not a week or 2 later????!!!!

Thank you ~ Kim ))
Old 2014-11-09, 1:30pm
Loving learning

Kim, what are you using in your dremel? If you're using the right diamond coated reamer, keeping it wet while doing it at low speed, it is coming out. Try a transparent bead, and then you can see it come clean. After it dries though, the glass will look frosted, remember it is not flame polished to a smooth shine inside there.
Old 2014-11-09, 1:35pm

Hi Kim and welcome! I'm not sure what the problem is but this is the way I do it- take the beads off the mandrels that have been soaking in water, put them in a cup of water. Then I take my dremel with diamond reamer and clean the release out, first one side and then the other side under water. I give them a rinse and they're pretty much done.
If you're seeing something cloudy and opaque it may be just the ground glass and not bead release at all. I use Fusion too and it's gray. Pretty easy to spot if there is some left in the hole.

ETA- A week or 2 later doesn't make a difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-09, 1:43pm
Loving learning

I take my beads off the mandrel & put them in water with a drop of dish soap to soak, and they might be cleaned right away, or sit there until I have more, but I don't think it makes any difference in getting the release out.
Old 2014-11-09, 1:49pm

Thanks y'all!!! Did it!! The water def helped with the diamond bit~Alll clean!

Second part to this~do you think i should soak beads immediately after they come out of the kiln? Or it doesn't matter..
Old 2014-11-09, 2:05pm

It should not matter as long as your beads are cool to the touch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-11-10, 2:13am
Glass-aholic

I posted in the other bead release thread you posted in, so check that one out.

I just slide them along the wetmandrel when I'm removing them. If gets most out. I dremel them If necessary, but you almost dont need it with fusion.

And... Welcome!! Where are you from? Maybe we can find someone close enough to help

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-11-10 at 2:17am.
Old 2014-11-10, 1:57pm
IrisIsIris

I use a 3M green scrub pad and knock off the release that is on the mandrel but not under the bead, I then rinse them off and let the beads soak on the mandrels for about 10-30 minutes in tepid tap water. This way the water is able to access the release between the mandrel & bead. If a bead falls off the mandrel, then I thread it onto the mandrel of a similar bead & put it in with the rest to soak. Then, I put on a thick rubber glove on my left hand and pull out 1-4 mandrels that have beads that are about the same size & shape, & with the glove palm up, I hold the mandrels in my right hand & roll the beads back & forth across the softer parts of my palm. The beads generally break free and start to roll on the mandrel and most of the bead release comes out, rinse & roll some more, and once the rinse water is clear, dump the beads in a dish with salt saturated white vinegar. Give them about 3-5 minutes to soak, then I use a round file in a pin-vice to roll the beads on the palm of my gloved hand. Rinse & roll as needed. Often, the pin-vice file will have 4-7 beads on it at a time when I'm rolling it.
As a side note, I take a lot of time dipping my clean mandrels in release & inspecting each one to ensure that the bead release is uniformly on & smooth. If I have bumps or divots in the bead release on the mandrel, then I know that cleaning those out of the finished bead is going to be a chore. When this occurs, I've found that it's more efficient to clean & redip the mandrel than fiddle with pits & bumps inside the bead hole.
Old 2014-11-13, 1:35pm

Default bead release

Perhaps you shouldn't be so anal about getting the bead release out. Removing the bead release is typically very easy and mostly just a monotonous thing to do. Try concentrating more on making beads that are actually attractive. When you can do that, removing the bead release will be the least of your problems.
Old 2014-11-14, 7:21am

You can also try shoe laces for 1/8" and larger beads.
with flat laces you can simply run the aglet though the hole and floss with the lace a few times to remove bead release.
If its a tricky bit twist the lace a few times.
the laces wear out if your bead ends are poky, if its just the aglet that wears out try melting the ends together and pulling a point.
It only works for poly and nylon.
bulk laces are cheap though eBay and other shops.

Last edited by losthelm; 2014-11-14 at 7:24am.
Old 2014-11-14, 9:49am
Loving learning

In another thread she determined that it was she didn't know to use water I think.
Old 2014-11-14, 10:24am

I use a .227(?) caliber brass bore brush for cleaning my big hole beads. Works great!! Sometimes it's nice to know a gun guy.... I'd never have thought of it.
Old 2014-11-14, 12:58pm

Thank you all~I'm good now! I just ran the beads under water & purchased a dremel!!

Thanks again!!