Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2009-12-22, 10:45pm
Formerly Sassygirl

Default Dichro noodles?

Who here sellls dichro noodles. I recieved one as a gift and am hooked and want more. I have looked and looked and can not find any. If you sell them could you please post here. Thank you so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-22, 10:50pm
Bracelet Ho

wat coe are you looking for?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-22, 10:56pm
Formerly Sassygirl

I would love to get something compatible with 104 coe. I swear I have become addicted to the bling lol.

Old 2009-12-22, 11:31pm

I've got some but had no luck in using them...they just curl up at the edges and burn.

Any tips?
Old 2009-12-22, 11:45pm
Formerly Sassygirl

The one I had was about 1/3 of an inch wide and I believe it was kiln fired because the edges were nice and rounded and it had a pretty rainbow on clear. It wasn't fussy at all and I used it first time and it didn't burn. I would just love to get more of it.

Old 2009-12-22, 11:56pm

Ahh..mine are quite different, just like a clear stringer with dichro down one side.

Sorry can't even offer a swap!
Old 2009-12-23, 12:27am
Angel's Mom

Avenuebeads has some in 104 and some in 96.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-12-23, 6:37am

Smile

The key, IMHO, to not needing to prefuse your dichro, is to use THIN sheet glass coated dichro. Standard thickness glass takes longer to move/melt and gives your dichro more time/opportunity to scum to the surface.

Many people prefer the pre-fused dichro. I use dichro in quantities that do not allow me this luxury to purchase it that way, AND I'm basically LAZY
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and won't prefuse it myself, LOL. So I just buy the sheet, cut to my specifications, depending on the application size I need, and apply directly to the bead, dichro side down (clear glass obviously) while working in the flame.

As you work the glass on, you need to watch the surface. If you see "scum" trying to surface, you just pluck it off immediately, and that seals your clear again.

I'm sure if you went to the "tips and techniques" area, there should be threads there on dichro applications......lots of great information there!

Last edited by Ofilia; 2009-12-23 at 6:40am.
Old 2009-12-23, 8:06am

Smile

Hi Ofilia-

I have seen the way you use the dichro in your pieces and I love the look- very delicate and ethereal! I have only seen the dichro strips on the clear/or black- and I have an assortment of these. Is there a supplier where can you get sheets of just the dichro? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

I have also never seen anything described as "noodles" anywhere- although I do remember someone here on LE was making dichro stonrgers, but I don;t remember who. Is a noodle like a stringer or are they different somehow?

Thanks, Laura

Old 2009-12-23, 9:20am
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Hi Stacie, if you are talking true dichro noodles, they are from Uroboros and they are in 90 and 96 coe. They are super thin, like a fettucini noodle. We carry those on black and clear both.

Here is a picture of them on the black glass

Last edited by Howaco; 2009-12-23 at 9:32am.
Old 2009-12-23, 9:25am
OBA-Official Bead Addict

I was poking around etsy and found these:

I've never tried them so I don't know if they are good or not.

Janet

Old 2009-12-23, 10:33am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Go with Howaco. She's got exactly what you want. I know cuz she sent me some.
Old 2009-12-23, 11:41am

Smile

Quote:
Hi Ofilia-

I have seen the way you use the dichro in your pieces and I love the look- very delicate and ethereal! I have only seen the dichro strips on the clear/or black- and I have an assortment of these. Is there a supplier where can you get sheets of just the dichro? Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

I have also never seen anything described as "noodles" anywhere- although I do remember someone here on LE was making dichro stonrgers, but I don;t remember who. Is a noodle like a stringer or are they different somehow?

Thanks, Laura
Thank, Laura! Glad you like how I use dichro. Something about 'sparkly' stuff
!

Dichro stringers is very easy to make yourself. It's just like any color blending in the flame, always being careful not to fold and trap air bubbles. Rather then using solid glass colors (be they opaque or transparent like when color blending), you are using chunks of dichro sheet puntied to either rods.

You can use a transparent clear to "tint" further your stringer.... lots of ways to play and explore this cool stuff!

Jamie is a wonderful dealer! If you like precut noodle-size strips, she's your gal
! Just a question here, isn't Uroborus going out of the 90coe market?

Old 2009-12-23, 12:22pm
Master Procrastinator

They work great! I have some. no need to worry about scumming. Easy peasy. Though I think I'll try Ofilia's method next time too.

Quote:
I was poking around etsy and found these:

I've never tried them so I don't know if they are good or not.

Janet

Old 2009-12-23, 12:59pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

Quote:
Just a question here, isn't Uroborus going out of the 90coe market?
Not that I am aware of. They did just dump a bunch of their sheet glass and frit colors in both 90 and 96. Sold off quite a bit of it and are not going to make them any more. They did that so that they can work on making new colors. Next time I call there, I will ask, but she would have said something to me when I talked with her just a couple weeks ago.

Old 2009-12-23, 1:06pm
HOt WArm COld = Howaco

LOL, ok, I couldn't take the not knowing 100% sure. So I just called them. It was as I said, they just dumped some stuff that was not selling well any more and are working on new stuff.

Just an fyi, they are going to have dual tone frit in 90. It will be shipping out any time.

Old 2009-12-24, 7:32am

Wink

Hi Jamey Lynn, thanks for clarifying. I could have sworn back when we were in Portland for one of ISGB's gatherings that they implied they were going more toward the 96 line. I'm so holding out on 96, as I have enough 90 to last a few lifetimes
! Plus, I'm very happy with 90
. Why break it if it ain't broke is my motto.

Yum, two tone frits! BTW, love that seeded pink glass (104) you have on your site, BTW. You scored good
!

Old 2009-12-24, 9:33am

Smile

Thank you all so much for you input and expertise!

OK, so here's a super dorky question- I use 104- can I use any of this dichro with my glass? I use plenty of 96 frit, but only in small quantities- I am assuming that I'll have to stick with the 104 dichro strips I currently have.

Hope you all have a great christmas! I still have lots to do before tomorrow morning! Laura

Old 2009-12-24, 9:43am

Smile

Quote:
Thank you all so much for you input and expertise!

OK, so here's a super dorky question- I use 104- can I use any of this dichro with my glass? I use plenty of 96 frit, but only in small quantities- I am assuming that I'll have to stick with the 104 dichro strips I currently have.

Hope you all have a great christmas! I still have lots to do before tomorrow morning! Laura
Hi Laura, definately DO NOT use dichro 90 or 96 with a 104 bead...... Sometimes one can get a way with a sprinkle of certain 96 frits on a 90 or 104 bead, but definatley not somthing to this degree of glass. Don't waste either your work, nor your good dichro! Enjoy both worlds, but separately

Old 2009-12-24, 10:59pm
Lampworkaholic!

Lauscha makes 104 dichro in the rounded strips. I got some from Marcie / Fire Lady.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-12-25, 3:36am

I bought some from Frantz a couple of months ago, I can't remember what they called them - might have been dichro strips I think!

There were spotty ones, little squares, rainbow and a swirly sort of retro pattern which was also gorgeous.

They came in strips that were slightly rounded on the edges (maybe kiln fired) and most importantly...... were COE 104 - if you cant find them try searching on this product number 553635, they were effetre I think.

Nat

Last edited by Natsprat; 2009-12-25 at 3:38am. Reason: added some more info