Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2009-06-12, 9:10am
Glassy Broad :-)

I hate this thread.
The ONLY color I can get out of my Raku is baby poop brown.
The only raku I have is in twisty form. I have read this thread from stem to stern and tried everything.
ACK!
**sigh** guess I'll make Men's beads, lol brown
Nita

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2009-06-12, 9:30am
Tweedle Dumb

just out of curiosity where did you purchase it? i ordered some from a "less than perfect" vendor and couldn't get it to do ANYTHING! but i ordered more from my regular vendor and it works like a charm, well kinda i still need practice. also working on a hot head makes it kinda hard to pop those colors, it needs to get HOT! HOT! really HOT! when i first started i was really confused about that color because they call it reduction frit.... ummm.... i don't reduce it?! LOL. try on a oxygen fuel torch (not duel fuel, lol, i swore i would never refer to it as such ever again) should be easier to get pretty colors!

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-06-15, 2:42pm
Formerly FishBulb

Well, now here's another glass to try! I'll have to pick some up this week. The beads in this thread are awesome.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2009-06-21, 11:09am

I got my twisties from the Twistie Queen.
I'm sure it's just me, and yep, HH doesn't like it much.
Like I said, baby poop brown. WITH black stripes.
*sigh*
Nita

Old 2009-06-21, 12:13pm

Hi Nita,
Do you have a butane torch around? One of my customers tried heating the bead with the butane torch then finishing on the hot head... she got some GORGEOUS colors that way. Also, take a look at Sarahs beads (Israel) she uses a hot head too! You can do it!
Hugs
Lynnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitadee View Post
I got my twisties from the Twistie Queen.
I'm sure it's just me, and yep, HH doesn't like it much.
Like I said, baby poop brown. WITH black stripes.
*sigh*
Nita

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2009-06-22, 3:11pm

Nita you can do raku on a hot head....I've worked both on a hot head and a minor. You can make that glass sing gurl, trust me. I'm a newbie still, can't tell you how excited I was to get color before I got a big gurls torch lol!
Try again...you'll be surprised!
Old 2009-06-22, 3:20pm
Frit frit and more frit!

I find that Raku really varies from batch to batch. Some batches pop like a dream, others are just baby-poo. If thats the case, just co with the lovely desert colours and learn to love it - however it turns out! LOL!
Old 2009-07-16, 12:17pm
Insane? You're Insane!

Karen,

Seriously! Is that a rose? A raku rose? First off, there is no way that I would ever be able to even consider making a rose, second, the nerve of thinking of making it with raku and THIRD! YOU GOT THE COLORS TO POP!!!!!!!!!! I applaud you, that is simply fab-u-lous! WOW!
Old 2009-07-21, 2:56pm

Default Thank you!

I can finally say after 2 years of trying, I can get color out of raku. I had read some of this post before but then went to this POST and it finally clicked. So a big thank you to Dawn and her generosity!

While practicing I used my crap glass. What I consider crap glass. I had purchased a color called Pink #3 Pastel Odd because the rod looked pretty and pink. I'm assuming this is similar to Fish pink. There is no pink to the beads made with this color. It's just a gray with maybe a pink tint if you scrunch up your eyes and pretend.

Funny thing about using raku with this color. You can see the colors developing almost instantly. They mature further after encasing and in the kiln of course but it's much easier to get a wider range of color from the raku if Petal pink is the base. I was able to get green, blue, purple and even a fuchsia color. Hello! These beads are encased. I haven't figured out how to get the colors without encasing yet. The key is to do exactly as Dawn suggested in the post on page 14, but it is much easier with petal pink to get the colors. Here's a picture of raku on the petal pink base. I made three beads at different times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.
Old 2009-07-21, 3:09pm

Wow those are pretty interesting. I know what you mean on the Vetrofond pink. The color is so not pink but if it does to Raku what your doing....that would be a good thing.

Raku is pretty much bought by the same company so it doesn't really matter what vendor you get it from. It 99% of the time is coming from the same source. I do believe that each batch is different.
I can make great dots on top of black that really pop but just using it normally...I get baby poop. Need to have Dawn come and teach me Hint! Hint!

Old 2009-07-22, 12:24am
Cancer SUCKS!

Dawn, I think I finally have some color in my Raku beads. You don't know how stoked I am about this. Thank you, Thank you for posting this information and sharing with us.

Can't wait to see what is in my kiln when it cools off.

Old 2009-07-22, 9:56pm
Cancer SUCKS!

Well I have no photos yet. I didn't get as much color as I would have liked. More then I ever have before though, so that was fun.

Was hoping to get the bright blues. The encased beads I did are very pastel, never knew you could get that color from Raku.

Will continue to practice!

Thanks,
Deb

Old 2009-08-04, 4:44pm
Miata and Sunshine! Yay!

I've got to thank you! I tried some raku frit and thought that I had just burned the crap out of the bead, and when I got it out of the kiln this morning......WOW!!! I got blues, greens, purples, and some pinks! I couldn't believe it...I tried it again and to make sure it wasn't a fluke. I'm so new I still have the plastic wrapper on, but I've been playing with the Cricket for about 4 days now, and each day is looking better for me, bead-wise. I really thought that raku was supposed to just be the animal-skin looking stuff! It sure isn't. WoooHooo! I have a couple more beads in the kiln right now, and I noticed that when the raku starts to "bloom" you can actually see the little "poofs" as it changes colors, kinda' like little explosions! Can you tell I'm excited? I did try it on a black base and also on a dark ivory base, so that I can see the differences in the color range. The other times I had tried raku frit, I thought I had burned the bead when it turned black...so I sent them to a watery grave, except for yesterday after I read this thread.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!

Contributing member of the EPIC FLOUNCE thread 2013
Proud member of YOU PEOPLE thread.
Old 2009-08-06, 8:16am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Reenie, Dawn is an AWESOME teacher!!!!!! and super cool person I hope you get a chance to meet her!!!!! She really is the Queen Of Raku!!!!
I need to look over this thread a little more I checked it in the beginning and need to look back especially at that rose!!! take care all!!!

Old 2009-08-06, 8:19am
Uh-oh means it's too late

Karen,
Okay I need to try my raku again with a froggy as well as a hermit crab cuz that rose is amazing!!! and even with the super heating you still had great detail on the petals!!!! you go girl!!!

Old 2009-08-06, 5:47pm
Fire n Sand Glass Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbryant1 View Post
Karen,

Seriously! Is that a rose? A raku rose? First off, there is no way that I would ever be able to even consider making a rose, second, the nerve of thinking of making it with raku and THIRD! YOU GOT THE COLORS TO POP!!!!!!!!!! I applaud you, that is simply fab-u-lous! WOW!
lol, Yes, it is a rose. I think the color a fluke never to be repeated again, at least by me.

~
~
~
~
Old 2009-08-07, 2:06am

wow haven't checked in here for a bit... boy have I been missing out there's some amazing works in here now

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2009-09-11, 9:33am
Velda Joy Rumfelt

Wow, this is the first time I got anything besides brown, thanks!
Attached Images

"Glass is thicker than water"

Old 2009-09-11, 11:57am
SierraCatz

Raku powder - raked over dark amber - moretti

Raku powder - raked over sage green - moretti

I can't seem to get very dramatic color out of powder - it is more subtle but I like it!

Barbara -
"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea!" Unknown
Old 2009-11-10, 11:21pm

Now these aren't the best colors ever, but I'm getting closer!!!
not encased, and I heated the snot out of it! Can't wait to get some more, as now all the twisties I had are gone, but see??? SOmething other than baby poop on a HH!
Nita

Old 2009-11-18, 11:52pm

Dawn.........thank you so much for the great help on the secrets of Raku.

Elke

Old 2009-11-18, 11:59pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Wunderschoen Elke ... tolle Farben

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-11-19, 11:17am
Evil Glass Enabler

Elke, I think I just had a glassgasm. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2009-11-19, 12:38pm

Vielen Dank, liebe Judith.
Thanks so much Angelique.

Elke
Old 2009-11-19, 12:44pm
What was I thinking?

Smile

Elke—your raku frit beads are gorgeous!!!

Old 2009-11-19, 7:04pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Elke, your beads are GORGEOUS!!! And thanks to everyone else who have shared their beady-utiful eye candy since I last checked in. You guys are knocking my socks off!

Going to look for my socks now...I know they're here somewhere....

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2009-11-19, 7:32pm

Elke, those beads are astounding! I just lovvvvvvve them! Wish I could do that, but I never seem to get too much color out of raku; don't know what I'm doing wrong.

#R-85
Old 2009-11-20, 1:58am

Thanks everybody !!
It took a year to check out this glass.
Every now and then i took this color and tried again.
Sometimes I thought....." it's not my color."
But I bought a gazillion Raku, when I started to torch, cause I saw Dawn's beads and felt in love with Raku.
All I can say........" don't give up on Raku !"
It's just ppp and ppp and ppp.

Once you got it, it's damn sure easy.

Elke
Old 2009-11-22, 1:11pm

I got my big girl torch set up last night, and (pardon please) THE VERY FIRST THING I DID WAS MAKE A BEAD WITH THIS GLASS.
Guess what happened?
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By George I think I've got it!!!!
Can ya tell I'm thrilled?
Except of course, now after a year, and trying so many times, I am out! drats!
Nita

Old 2009-11-22, 2:15pm

yay nita! on the torch and the bead!

must get mine out again...I have those great big chunks that you have to pull into fat stringer to use.
the 104 stuff doesn't really like me, but I don't have any other glass in 96, does it play well with 93? or bullseye?? the black in the 93s not very intense though, it does sometimes come out purple when its thin (even more so that effetre) I know I can use it thin on effetre, but I think it would be good if I could use more...maybe? plus the 93 clear is amazing.

sorry, I'm musing. I think too much when I'm ill! got a cold, can't torch cause I keep sneezing...really ruins a good bead!haha