Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2007-02-21, 10:40am

Question I want to try raku

I want to try my hand at making beads with the raku effect. However, I'm not sure what to purchase. Could anyone offer some suggestions and possibly a source for the glass? Thanks!
Old 2007-02-21, 10:55am
Entropy increasing....

Raku is made by Reichenbach. You can buy raku canes from Olympic Color Rod in Seattle. If you want to make stinger it's so much easier to do it with canes than making stringer from frit. You will get a better result, too. Here is a place on Ebay selling the cane also.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you want to try raku frit you can buy just an oz or two from lots of people .

The actual name is Iris Orange. Here are a bunch of places on Ebay that sell it. I suggest size #1 or #2.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-21, 11:26am

Raku is good in a size 0 too -- especially for encasing. You shouldn't have any trouble finding any. It's all over the place!!

Here's a link to a post that has a list of most of the frit sellers (many also sell the cane):

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-02-21, 11:34am

I buy my raku cane from
it's the best price I've found yet.

Raku Rod & frit

Thank You to ALL of my friends
who have journeyed
With me thru my elbow injury
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-02-21, 11:50am
Entropy increasing....

It costs half that at OCR. They sell it by the bundle and a bundle is about 1/2 lb. or 1/4 kilo. It's 10.94 for `1/2 lb.

Old 2007-02-21, 5:07pm

Hey Kevan, if you could share with me It would help me tremendously...
I am curious what it cost you for shipping on that 1/4 kilo... last time I ordered a bundle of color from them my shipping was $8.56 which was I thought pretty high.... and it took me 2 weeks to get it... so I haven't ordered since....
thanks
Lynnie
Quote:
It costs half that at OCR. They sell it by the bundle and a bundle is about 1/2 lb. or 1/4 kilo. It's 10.94 for `1/2 lb.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-02-21, 6:44pm

Default I want to try raku

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out tonight.
Old 2007-02-21, 7:52pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Regardless of where you order, make sure that you read
ALL the way through the "Secrets of Raku" thread
before you light your torch. Raku is a picky, nasty,
whiny, evil glass. Or it's your best friend.
Depends on how you hold your tongue when you torch....

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-02-21, 7:58pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Hey Kevan, if you could share with me It would help me tremendously...
I am curious what it cost you for shipping on that 1/4 kilo... last time I ordered a bundle of color from them my shipping was $8.56 which was I thought pretty high.... and it took me 2 weeks to get it... so I haven't ordered since....
thanks
Lynnie
That does seen steep for 1/2 lb. Maybe if you order more it would be cheaper? I don't have it shipped to me. Maybe I should do a bulk raku buy lol.
Old 2007-02-21, 9:06pm

LOL Yeah, I bet we could get a great deal thru Jon... I ordered 1/4 lb thru him at retail and shipping was 4 bucks.. want me to se if I can get us a reduced price?
Quote:
That does seen steep for 1/2 lb. Maybe if you order more it would be cheaper? I don't have it shipped to me. Maybe I should do a bulk raku buy lol.

who have journeyed
and recovery!

:
Old 2007-02-21, 9:24pm
Entropy increasing....

Well, I can drive up to Seattle and get it at 10.94 a 1/4 kilo. I'm going up there next week anyway. It's on sale for 20% off right now. So that's like 8.75. That makes a lb. 17.50. Geez. for $8 I can ship as much as fits into a flat rate priority box.

They can hold up to 70lbs. Though, I don't know what you can fit in there that would equal 70 lbs. Gold maybe. lol
Old 2007-02-22, 7:31am

Quote:
Regardless of where you order, make sure that you read
ALL the way through the "Secrets of Raku" thread
before you light your torch. Raku is a picky, nasty,
whiny, evil glass. Or it's your best friend.
Depends on how you hold your tongue when you torch....

Karen, you are a hoot! I've always believed anything that is complicated is best done with your mouth in the correct position. In fact I thought that was a scientific fact! Anyway, I have the warnings now and I will proceed with caution. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Ellen
Old 2007-02-22, 10:05am
Your Royal Fritness

Here is a good site. Go down to Frits (Raku Jitterbug as it was called a long time ago) and check it out. It's a blast from my past. Click on my bead and it will take you to my "how too" and a lot of other's "how too's". I never knew this was there until a client of mine showed me, lol
A lot of good stuff there.

Raku is a great reactive glass to play with. Have Fun!

Dawn

Last edited by Mustang Dawn; 2007-02-22 at 10:13am.