Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2005-11-29, 7:56pm

Default photo help??

I use a tripod, got a light tent, using the daylight lights, and my photos look awful. They either are too dark or have rings on the beads from the light reflections. I can lighten up the background in Photoshop, but it distorts the bead color. Any help or suggestions??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pandora, Biagi, Troll, and more, bead sets, and focals.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2005-11-29, 8:16pm
Entropy increasing....

I"m sorry, but I don't think they look bad at all.
Old 2005-11-29, 8:32pm
ManBearPig

I would try draping another cloth over the tent to diffuse the light more. You are still getting pretty harsh highlights. Then, try lengthening your exposure a little more to brighten it up. Don't be afraid to try different white balance settings on your camera. I generally stick to auto white balance for my particular camera, but all cameras are different.

It's hard to say exactly because I can't see the bead in person. But that photo doesn't look too bad.

How far is the camera away from the bead when you are taking the photo? Generally, the farther away the better.

•
•
•
Old 2005-11-29, 8:36pm
CA Queen Bitch

Can you adjust your white balance?

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-11-29, 8:46pm

I'm just a few inches from the bead. I can lengthen that and use the telephoto lens. I'll try another cloth over the tent, too.
I'll have to put my reading glasses on to see what the white balance setting is.
I miss having the sunshine to take the pictures outside.
Does anyone else use the "reveal" light bulbs? Do you use the white balance or auto setting?
THanks!!

Old 2005-11-29, 8:50pm
ManBearPig

I use Reveal bulbs. I have tried the auto white balance, and the "bulb" setting successfully. Try moving the camera back and zooming in. Just stay in optical zoom, not digital. Your camera will have more of an area to sample, and you'll probably end up with better results. I'm about 8" - 12" from what I'm shooting when I take photos of beads and pendants.

•
•
•
Old 2005-11-29, 9:06pm

Thank you!!
I'll try that tomorrow.

Old 2005-11-30, 4:13pm

I changed the white balance from auto to tungsten...even though I'm using the "daylight" bulbs. I also moved one light from the top of the tent to the back....lights on both sides and back. It still looks a little dull or dark, but I like it much better.
Thank you everyone for your help.

Old 2005-11-30, 4:39pm

in photoshop, i generally use levels to correct lighting, then hue/saturation if needed to adjust the color. gotta be careful to use the functions correctly or they can do more harm than good.

Old 2005-11-30, 6:09pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teri
I changed the white balance from auto to tungsten...even though I'm using the "daylight" bulbs. I also moved one light from the top of the tent to the back....lights on both sides and back. It still looks a little dull or dark, but I like it much better.
Thank you everyone for your help.

Did you try moving your camera back from the bead? It still looks to me like it's too close.

•
•
•
Old 2005-12-01, 7:19pm

Teri - - You can also use pieces of the stiff plastic diffuser panel that is installed in light fixtures, in front of flourescent lights. You know the ones: the clear plastic ones with all the little diamond shaped bumps on them. These panels work great to diminish harsh highlights.

Also - don't forget to try Val Cox's idea of putting your bead in a shallow bowl and covering it with water. That is, photograph the bead while it's under water. This works quite magically to almost totally eliminate hot harsh highlights from your lamps. It's remarkable.

Jan
Old 2005-12-01, 9:07pm

Teri

I don't find the light spots on your bead distracting at all. I have found that I cannot get rid of these, even with difusers, I always have them in my photos. I think your photo is just fine, but a bit dark. I know you said you could change in photoshop, but sounded like you didn't want to. Well, I did it, hope you don't mind.

Yours in on the L, the altered is on the R. I did a white blanance in the shadow to the R. of the bead. I sharpened and added a bit of contrast.

It helped make the purple pop.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook: