No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-11, 11:34pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
I finally have pics of the beads I've been making with all the various colors I ordered. So far, I think my favorite is the Dark Gray 961:

Here's more of the rather erroneously named Gray Blue 76:

Blue Grass Green 772:

Light Blue 75:

Kalera,
Are the little bits of sheen on these the product of the metals being revealed by the tumbling? Can you see that sheen on these in person or is the flash making that more pronounced? Thanks, I love these.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-12, 12:52am
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Jhana! The sheen is just the surface texture under bright lighting; no flash was used.

I finally have pics of the beads I've been making with all the various colors I ordered. So far, I think my favorite is the Dark Gray 961:

Here's more of the rather erroneously named Gray Blue 76:

Blue Grass Green 772:
(I can't find this one, but I'll keep looking)

Light Blue 75:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 8:33am. Reason: add pics
Old 2011-02-12, 8:14am

Ooooo, very pretty. Is that purple rose you used on pic #2 above that Jhana posted? So yummy.

Thanks

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-12, 9:24am
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Kat! That's actually #76 Gray Blue. It's like cobalt, in that it tends to look far more purple when photographed than it actually is. In person, it's a saturated true indigo.

Old 2011-02-12, 11:32am

Well, either way it's gawdeous.

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-12, 11:38am
I'm a lilac!

I think it's still available from Olympic, too... along with both light and dark gray, which are also, seriously, SO pretty!

Old 2011-02-12, 1:58pm

Kalera,

I just stumbled onto your thread. You are as generous and kind as you are talented...and that's a lot!!

Thanks for setting something to strive for.
Cyndi
Old 2011-02-12, 5:32pm

O...M...G! I'm not usually a huge fan of purples but what is that lavendar in photo #2? I'm in love with it (but again I can be easy to please )

Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
Kalera,
Are the little bits of sheen on these the product of the metals being revealed by the tumbling? Can you see that sheen on these in person or is the flash making that more pronounced? Thanks, I love these.

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-02-12, 6:04pm
Steph

Thanks Kalera! Looking at the last few pictures of your beads in this thread, I would say your photography is as fantastic as your bead making! How are you making your beads appear to be floating? (Or is that a silly question?)

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2011-02-13, 4:14am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Kalera, This is the actual bead that got me interested in lampworking
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=11327
I keep a picture in my studio. I remember seeing it and scratching my head thinking "thats go to be pure magic". Can you please comment on what glasses you used and also what press you used or how you got the shape. I've been a admirer of your work and you've been a inspiration ! Thank you so much
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-02-13, 6:13am

You're right Kalera. The blue-gray and lt and dark grays are really pretty. Have you tried the clay gray opal? That looks nice too. Can I please ask you what frit size you use most for spacers for the solid colors? I've looked at the chart at OCR but I'm still a wee bit confused. Thanks

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-13, 7:24am

I can not use specific recipes because I work with glass 104 but certainly there is much to be learned from this thread.

Thank you Kalera, to share your knowledge with us

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Last edited by maroli; 2011-02-13 at 7:28am.
Old 2011-02-13, 11:14am
Triumphantly Knit!

Those are stupendous. Not a word I use lightly. I started to read your thread earlier in the week and I was so taken aback by the beauty that I got overwhelmed. But, now I think I'm gonna start to read, note, and attempt....what you do is why I want to work with glass. Even the wonkiest plain bead holds me in awe so I am completely blown away by what you are doing.
Namaste
Rowyn
Old 2011-02-13, 4:54pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
O...M...G! I'm not usually a huge fan of purples but what is that lavendar in photo #2? I'm in love with it (but again I can be easy to please )

Duane
It's Zimmerman #76 Gray Blue (not gray at all though!) and the purple hint is much more subdued in person... it's a deep true indigo. I think they still have it at Olympic Color Rods!

Old 2011-02-13, 4:55pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
Thanks Kalera! Looking at the last few pictures of your beads in this thread, I would say your photography is as fantastic as your bead making! How are you making your beads appear to be floating? (Or is that a silly question?)
Thanks Steph! It's a trick I learned from Andrea Guarino; my beads are on a sheet of glass that is raised about 1/4" off the gradient paper underneath.

Old 2011-02-13, 4:58pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlowerBead View Post
Kalera, This is the actual bead that got me interested in lampworking
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=11327
I keep a picture in my studio. I remember seeing it and scratching my head thinking "thats go to be pure magic". Can you please comment on what glasses you used and also what press you used or how you got the shape. I've been a admirer of your work and you've been a inspiration ! Thank you so much
Cara
Thanks, Cara! I amhonored to have been so inspiring for you! The base bead is Uroboros Almond, dusted with R-108 powder. The collars are R-106, and the twistie cane that I used for the spiral is made with Uroboros Dark Blue and R-108 stripes. I use a cold stringer to make the twists, and place a dot of Dark Blue over the centers. The bead was pressed in a Jim Moore deep lentil tool.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 8:37am.
Old 2011-02-13, 4:59pm
Steph

Quote:
Thanks Steph! It's a trick I learned from Andrea Guarino; my beads are on a sheet of glass that is raised about 1/4" off the gradient paper underneath.

How clever is that! Thank you!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2011-02-13, 5:00pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass2 View Post
You're right Kalera. The blue-gray and lt and dark grays are really pretty. Have you tried the clay gray opal? That looks nice too. Can I please ask you what frit size you use most for spacers for the solid colors? I've looked at the chart at OCR but I'm still a wee bit confused. Thanks
I mostly use #1, but Zimmerman's sizing is a little different so I prefer #0 in Zimmerman.

I haven't tried the Clay Gray Opal, though I've looked at it... I'm trying hard not to buy any more frit!

Old 2011-02-13, 5:05pm
Obsessionwoman

Kalera...Thank you for your generosity...I am blown away...I went to your website and looked at all your beads...I kept saying to myself..OMG...OMG....this is the best valentines day present...I do have one question...well, maybe not a question...I love the silkeyness of your etched beads...I will tell you what supplies I have and I would ask you if I have enough to tumble...I have 200 and 600 grit silicon carbide and two tumbler barrels...I thought I should tumble in one grit, then in the other...but in this thread there was no mention of the main grit, just a link to Rio...you said you like to add about a teaspoon of 220 grit...I'm either confused or I'm having a senior moment...would you please straighten out an old lady who admires you so much...Lenora
Old 2011-02-13, 5:20pm

This thread is so much fun to read. Thank-you so much Kalera! I've loved playing guessing games with these.

I have a couple that I'd like to throw in the mix, please. Actually I have lots, but I pared down the list a bunch.

Honey Evolution
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=8107

Muscat prism
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=11887

turquoise worrystones. I'm intrigued by the separation of the blue into a greenish yellow color.
http://www.beadwife.com/detail.tpl?ItemID=8969
Old 2011-02-13, 6:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessionwoman View Post
Kalera...Thank you for your generosity...I am blown away...I went to your website and looked at all your beads...I kept saying to myself..OMG...OMG....this is the best valentines day present...I do have one question...well, maybe not a question...I love the silkeyness of your etched beads...I will tell you what supplies I have and I would ask you if I have enough to tumble...I have 200 and 600 grit silicon carbide and two tumbler barrels...I thought I should tumble in one grit, then in the other...but in this thread there was no mention of the main grit, just a link to Rio...you said you like to add about a teaspoon of 220 grit...I'm either confused or I'm having a senior moment...would you please straighten out an old lady who admires you so much...Lenora
Hi Lenora,

I fill my barrel about half full of water and a drop of dishsoap, then add a teaspoon of graded 220 grit from The Rock Shed, and a handful (maybe 1/4 cup) of pyramidal abrasive tumbling media like the stuff Rio sells. I add the beads (only a few sets at a time so as not to overburden the tumbler) and tumble overnight.

Old 2011-02-13, 6:18pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
This thread is so much fun to read. Thank-you so much Kalera! I've loved playing guessing games with these.

I have a couple that I'd like to throw in the mix, please. Actually I have lots, but I pared down the list a bunch.

Honey Evolution
http://beadwife.com/mm//public/media...107.76432.jpeg

Muscat prism
http://beadwife.com/mm//public/media...887.85295.jpeg

turquoise worrystones. I'm intrigued by the separation of the blue into a greenish yellow color.
http://beadwife.com/mm//public/media...969.77295.jpeg
Thanks Lynda!

Honey Evolution is U-96 light amber, silver leaf, and Kugler Silver Clear frit in size #1.

Muscat Prism is K-10 Violet and K-8 Yellowish Aurora, I think in size #0, over Uroboros clear.

Turquoise Worrystones... that incarnation of those is pretty old so I'm not totally sure, but I think that's R-87 Water Blue and R-84 Dutch Blue over U96 Easter Green, with Easter Green threaded over it & melted smooth, then tumbled.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 8:40am. Reason: add pics
Old 2011-02-14, 5:40am
Dark Flower Bead Art

Quote:
Thanks, Cara! I amhonored to have been so inspiring for you! The base bead is Uroboros Almond, dusted with R-108 powder. The collars are R-106, and the twistie cane that I used for the spiral is made with Uroboros Dark Blue and R-108 stripes. I use a cold stringer to make the twists, and place a dot of Dark Blue over the centers. The bead was pressed in a Jim Moore deep lentil tool.
Thank you so much. I am continuing to frequent this thread for all the great tips. I really appreciate the attentive and detailed responses. Do you ever sleep?
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-02-14, 11:42am
I'm a lilac!

Sometimes it feels like I don't sleep... but I got a solid 8-1/2 hours last night!

Old 2011-02-14, 3:39pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Hi Kalera,
How do you get the frit to swirl like that? Are those zimmerman beads above frit 0 or powder?
If you were to recommend a book and a tutorial to learn 'arty' stuff like what you do, what would you recommend?
Angel Love
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-02-14, 4:52pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
Hi Kalera,
How do you get the frit to swirl like that? Are those zimmerman beads above frit 0 or powder?
If you were to recommend a book and a tutorial to learn 'arty' stuff like what you do, what would you recommend?
Angel Love
Rowyn

What I do is I roll my bead in frit (sometimes I do two layers of different color; roll one, melt smooth, roll the second, melt smooth again) and let it cool a bit. Then I spot-heat it right where I want the twist to be, and stick a cold stringer (fairly thick, 1.5 to 2mm) in the hot spot and twist the stringer, then let it cool a bit and wiggle the stringer to snap it off. I do it three or four more times at evenly spaced intervals, then melt it all smooth.

I am not very familiar with the tutorials that are out there, but I think that a great way to go is look at the ones by artists whose beads you really admire; many of them are sharing their secrets in their tuts. Taking a class from an artist you really admire is a fantastic investment if you can do it, as well; I took classes from my favorite artists and the value of those classes is truly immeasurable!

As far as books go, More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Glass Beadmaking by James Kervin is still my bead bible! It contains so much knowledge and so much technique that even though it lacks the step-by-step and glossy pictures, it's absolutely indispensable. Beads of Glass by Cindy Jenkins also explains a lot of intermediate to advanced technique. 1000 Glass Beads doesn't explain technique, but has a ton of very inspirational bead pictures and is well worth having IMO.

Mostly... play with glass, and have fun with it! That's how you discover things that no one else is doing.

Old 2011-02-14, 7:35pm
put a bird on it

Kalera,
Just wanted to tell you that you inspired me to order some Amazon Bronze frit & I got to play with it today. I tried it over white, black, Citrus Grapefruit and Borostix Spring Purple, all encased. Hoping I got a winning combination somewhere in there....fingers crossed for what comes out of the kiln tomorrow....Thx for the inspiration!
Old 2011-02-14, 8:09pm
Lampworkaholic!

OK Kalera - now I have a question. I tried the Loetz Gray-Gold over Uroboros clear and it looks totally different than your beads in this post:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=139

Mine look pretty much like gray-black frit on clear. Did you add anything? R-108/Z99? I think I can see some pink and raku tones but maybe I am dreaming.

??

Thanks,

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-14, 9:53pm

Ohhh. Thank-you! I think I have one of those colors and something that might be close.
Old 2011-02-15, 8:12am
Angie09

Kalera,

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask you what are the MUST HAVE colors in Uroboros since Shawnette is doing a bulk buy and I might want to get in on it.

And, I just want to say, I have learned soooo much from this thread ... your knowledge and willingness to share it is greatly appreciated!!!

Angie