LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-09-25, 9:59pm
I'm a lilac!

The Zimmerman white I have must be the Dense White, then. It's translucent and very boily! I got this ages ago, and I don't recall the number. The label I wrote has long since faded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-09-26, 9:43am

Kalera - it sounds like what you've got might be Zimmerman 740 Translucent Opal White. I've got a bit of this but I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Old 2011-09-26, 10:10am
I'm a lilac!

Uncooked, it's translucent, with pieces ranging from almost clear to opaque, if that helps with the ID.

Old 2011-09-26, 5:52pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Uncooked, it's translucent, with pieces ranging from almost clear to opaque, if that helps with the ID.
That is the Z-74.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-09-27, 11:12am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
That is the Z-74.
Thanks!

Old 2011-09-27, 9:06pm
Artistically Absorbed

I just wanted to ask, how are you? I think it is very generous of you to awnser all these questions for everyone! You have always been a great mentor here! Thank You! Have a great day!
-Echo

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2011-09-28, 8:01am
I'm a lilac!

Thank you so much, Echo! I am doing pretty well... working a LOT! Trying to catch up after a fairly disastrous summer. I'm really happy to have a chance to help people, I hope that at least some of my answers have smoothed the way for a few. <3

Old 2011-09-28, 9:12am

Kalera,i have followed your thread since the beginning and admired your creations before that.I want to say thank you for your generous sharing of your time and knowledge.
Because of you I have a greater understanding of my frits,how to use them and have acquired the ability to create gorgeous sets of beads and focals,I'm so pleased with myself!! So thank you so much.
Have a great day.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz
Old 2011-09-28, 9:18am
I'm a lilac!

You're very welcome! Thank you so much, Karen!

Old 2011-09-29, 11:23am
Master Procrastinator

Kalera, what a giving person you are to share all your knowledge! May I ask a question about tumbling? I have some beads tumbling right now. Do you dump everything out after each use or is it OK to keep the stuff in there between uses? I took your advice & have the pyramid cones, 220 grit, DW liquid & water.

Old 2011-09-29, 12:11pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks, Lea!

I re-use everything up until the grit loses its bite (it gets ground finer each time you use it) and then pour out the liquid, rinse the media, and start over with more grit. You can re-use the tumbling media until they're worn down to little nubbins.

Old 2011-09-29, 1:09pm
Master Procrastinator

Awesome! That's what I figured, but wasn't sure. Thanks!

Old 2011-09-29, 1:29pm
I'm a lilac!

You're welcome!

Old 2011-09-30, 7:01am

I love this set... Thank you for sharing!

Old 2011-09-30, 7:42am
I'm a lilac!

You're welcome... thank you!

Old 2011-09-30, 8:44am

Did you already share how to make these beads? I must have missed it if you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I love this set... Thank you for sharing!

Old 2011-09-30, 8:57am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Did you already share how to make these beads? I must have missed it if you did.
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought I had & didn't realize you were asking! Those are an old veiled cane from Caliente, I think it was called Autumn Harvest. You can make your own by rolling a large gather of clear (I use U96 for this) in R-108 a couple of times, and then pulling it out into a cane.

Old 2011-09-30, 12:40pm

Thank you!
Old 2011-09-30, 12:43pm
I'm a lilac!

You're welcome!

Old 2011-10-04, 5:50am

Kalera, this is still one of the most awesome threads that I've followed in ages! I'm about to release a version of your Romance Blend which includes a bit of the R106, and am getting ready to send a second check to BOC as well, thanks to you and your Romance recipe. Thank you again for allowing me to make it!

If I had to pick a favorite set of yours, I'd be hard pressed to do it, but these last swirls are beautiful, and I love the simplicity and elegance of your single toned sets as well. And then there are the classic frit sets, the.... Aw Hell, Chica! I've always loved your eye for color.

I still have some of the Z74 left, but it's a size 2 grind - good for gathers, stringers and smashing down to smaller bits though. I think that I also have a little powder left.

I can't wait to try out a couple more of the combinations that you mentioned!

Hugs to you!

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-04, 1:52pm

Kalera have you worked with the Z-8511 Translucent White? If you have can you tell me anything about it's properties or effects? I'd love to know something about it before I start throwing it into things. If you haven't tried it I can send some to you to play with in a size 1 frit if you'd like. I haven't noticed anything posted about it and since it looks so much like the Z-74 I was wondering if they react similarly.

Thanks
Andrea
Old 2011-10-04, 3:11pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks Leslie!

Andrea, I haven't tried the Z-8511... it would be neat if it behaves similarly. I noticed that the two shades of beige I have seem to have some similarities too, and I keep meaning to play with them more. They're silver-reactive though.

If you want to send me a little, that would be fun! I could try it in a few things. One of the things I love about the Z-74 is that it really holds its own in organics.

Old 2011-10-05, 6:53am

Andrea, the 8511 is absolutely beautiful. It turns light blue through shades of white, much like the Z74, just a bit more translucent. I loved using that color! Looks like clouds in whites and blues.

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-05, 7:22am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Sad... post #622 had an image of your ebay listing, but it has expired since, and now the image is gone. Would you mind updating the post with the image of the beads?
Thanks a ton!
Old 2011-10-05, 2:21pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Sad... post #622 had an image of your ebay listing, but it has expired since, and now the image is gone. Would you mind updating the post with the image of the beads?
Thanks a ton!
Done... pretty sure I got the right set.

Old 2011-10-05, 2:56pm
Angie09

Quote:
You can make your own by rolling a large gather of clear (I use U96 for this) in R-108 a couple of times, and then pulling it out into a cane.
And???? what???? Neutral flame? What? These are GORGEOUS!!!!
Old 2011-10-05, 3:25pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Ahhh, thank you Kalera!
Old 2011-10-05, 3:29pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
And???? what???? Neutral flame? What? These are GORGEOUS!!!!
And making it into a bead! Neutral flame, nothing special, just the cane.

Old 2011-10-05, 3:29pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
Ahhh, thank you Kalera!
You're welcome!

Old 2011-10-05, 4:53pm
Angie09

Quote:
And making it into a bead! Neutral flame, nothing special, just the cane.
Why does that sound wayyyyy tooooo easy?!?!?! But I'll give it a try. Thanks Kalera!!!