Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-11, 8:24pm

Default Your Favorite Etched Glass

I was wondering if anyone was willing to share their favorite colors for etching? I would like to try and etch a few big hollows in organic colors. Trade secrets are important so maybe what doesn't work? I'm thinking ivory, copper green, turquoise, i read Ekho doesn't etch which would be great on ivory as a scroll, any reds, tans or browns that people like? I use Double Helix alot, any tips? Does anyone like enamel etched? Does silver wire come out okay in Etch All?
Thanks, Wendy
Old 2011-07-11, 8:46pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi wendy
I just etched cim dirty martini and I love that! Ivory, turquoise, all the transparent colors, and I LOVE orange etched.
I absolutly hate brown etched, moretti light brown is what I tried and hated it.
I can't tell ya about silver glass cause it all hates me......specially cleo!! LOL
I'm sure you'll end up with loads of suggestions, I know I'll be watching this thread!!
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-07-12, 3:20am
sunscreen me baby

I love transparent uranium yellow, it looks lime green. Dark lavender, pale emerald, and light blue transparents all look like beach glass.

~

Old 2011-07-12, 3:36am
one day at a time

All of the pale and light colored transparents look wonderful etched.
Old 2011-07-12, 3:41am
Dark Flower Bead Art

i LOVE CiM mojito etched. it works great with ddirty martini and olive all by CIM. some CiM colors (especially some purples) don't etch at all. I also REALLY love CiM larkspur etched...both mojito and larkspur get softer and more shimmery etched. larkspur looks like nothing...until you etch it and then its just lovely. Here's a few of my favorites etched. I love Double Helix all the time and never etch them....

Larkspur etched

Crocus Etched

Petroleum Green Etched

good luck
Cara

[color="DarkOrchid"]** Check out my Etsy site
[/COLOR
Handmade at amazon

Old 2011-07-12, 9:19am
Bead maker and bead buyer

my favorite etched color is clear. It turns a lovely glowing white.
Old 2011-07-12, 8:58pm

I have only etched a few beads, but my favorite so far is turquoise.
Old 2011-07-13, 9:30am
T.J. made me do it

Only the DH striking colors etch well but I prefer Reichenbach silver colors better for etching. I find that enamels do better tumble etched as opposed to chemical etching. As far as colors go I think the colors I etch the most are Sediment, Fossil, Mermaid, Lapis, Thai Orchid, Poi, turquoise (any), Sandstone, Red Roof Tile and Ochre Green.

Old 2011-07-21, 9:11am
Creative Spirit

Mango Coral is my fav
Name:  Mango, C Gr.... crunch.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  74.4 KB

Peace Wendy
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-21, 4:09pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Ooh, I love those beads! I think I may actually have some mango coral. Now I've got to go look. LOL

Old 2011-07-21, 8:30pm

Question on etching solutions. Seems Armour has discontinued its 16oz Etch Bath. What is everyone using? I have tried the cream but just don't get the same results.

Old 2011-07-21, 8:50pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Echoes View Post
Question on etching solutions. Seems Armour has discontinued its 16oz Etch Bath. What is everyone using? I have tried the cream but just don't get the same results.
Arrow Springs etch crystals.

Old 2011-07-21, 9:47pm
Creative Spirit

etch bath for me! I have been using the same bottle for 8 years now! LOL I need to find a source here in Canada, Michaels doesn't carry it anymore!

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-07-21, 10:36pm

That Mango glass is amazing Wendy, fossil etched is my favourite.

Régis

Magma Beads .

Old 2011-07-21, 11:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
That Mango glass is amazing Wendy, fossil etched is my favourite.

Régis
Ooooh! I love that! Those are gorgeous!

Last edited by upinflames; 2011-07-21 at 11:25pm. Reason: typo
Old 2011-07-21, 11:27pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnglass View Post
Arrow Springs etch crystals.
I just bought a container of this and it is absolutely great! It's my new favorite etching solution.

Old 2011-07-22, 12:11am
Entropy increasing....

What's wrong with brown etched? I think dark curdled ivory is my favorite.

This is petrified wood etched.

I'm trying to think of a glass I don't like etched. Some of the silver glass is hard to etch or won't at all. Pandora, I can't get that to etch.
Old 2011-07-22, 6:08am
Nikki Haverstock

We need more pictures! Haha. I dint know that I have seen an ugly edged bead.
Old 2011-07-22, 1:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
What's wrong with brown etched? I think dark curdled ivory is my favorite.

This is petrified wood etched.

I'm trying to think of a glass I don't like etched. Some of the silver glass is hard to etch or won't at all. Pandora, I can't get that to etch.

OMG! These are all gorgeous! I love that last one especially.

I can't think of any glass I don't like the look of when it's etched.

Old 2011-07-22, 10:46pm
Creative Spirit

Thanks Regis!

Peace Wendy
Old 2011-07-23, 12:21am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by upinflames View Post
OMG! These are all gorgeous! I love that last one especially.

I can't think of any glass I don't like the look of when it's etched.
Thank you.

I can't either, I love etched glass. I love the way it feels and the sound it makes rubbing against other etched glass.
Old 2011-07-23, 1:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Thank you.

I can't either, I love etched glass. I love the way it feels and the sound it makes rubbing against other etched glass.

Oh, I know! It must be a lampworker thing. If my mom even sees etched glass, she runs screaming from the room, she says feeling it reminds her of fingernails on a chalkboard. I don't get it.

Old 2011-07-23, 8:52pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Dark Aqua looks surprisingly good etched.
Even more surprising, given how stiff it is to work with, was how little time needed in the solution.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-07-24, 6:16pm

Etched glass is so awesome.

My all time favorite is etched light brown and amber rose.

2nd is V. light ivory (please come back) and copper green (here with Lapis medium which is OK etched).

Any light green is pretty. I think this is light emerald green, but I really don't know for sure.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-07-24, 6:47pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Be aware...when you etch Copper Green it will change drastically,from subtle sage green to light turquoise.Effetre Black ,CIM Hades does not etch. I also ruined a set of beads because the base etched and the stringer work did not,they looked like s**t.I think the stringer was Terra 2 or something like that. I like ivories,browns,corals,purples,pinks....okay,I like them all.Except Double Helix which to me defeats the purpose of using silver glass,you know...al that bling and beautiful colors.
Oh...and transparents look gorgeous etched.
Silver wire comes out great too.
Attached Images

Old 2011-07-24, 6:56pm
Loving learning

I think I'm going to go through my jar of beads and pick some to etch. I love all the pictures so far.

Never mind, it was posted while I was typing~~ Nobody answered the question on the silver wire, which I won't be doing, but now I'm curious.

I figure I'll just drop a bead in then fish it out with a plastic spoon, or is there an easier/better way?
Old 2011-07-24, 7:00pm
Loving learning

Sheila, in my imagination the stringer not etching while the base bead did sounded very nice.... but not so much I guess? Do you think that was that particular bead, or color?
Old 2011-07-24, 7:09pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Eileen, I just use fishing line, tied to the bead/s. The easiest and safest way you can find without splashing that nasty, corrosive stuff is best. I think there's a thread on it on here somewhere.
And yep, silver wire (and foil) come up gorgeous etched. The foil can go black for more effect, and the fine silver wire just sparkles and is so bright.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-07-24, 7:16pm
Loving learning

Fishing line is a good idea, thanks! ... wonder where DH's tackle box is.... hmmmm~

I can't picture the foil going black being a good effect, but I believe you anyway, LOL.
Old 2011-07-24, 8:04pm
Formerly FishBulb

I fish mine out with a pair of chopsticks. You know, like I'm about to eat with them. I also do it inside the laundry sink so there's no splashing on me or anything else.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.