Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2013-03-24, 5:39am
Now part of the Dark Side

Default Sparkley Red

I love Red Elvis, is there a sparkle version of a transparent ruby red available? If not how could I mix one. I've tried mixing in Steel Wool but it doesn't sparkle like I want.

Last edited by Dragonharper; 2013-03-24 at 8:39am.
Old 2013-03-24, 8:30am
just another glass addict

I've been playing with mighty moss lately and it is great underneath other colors. I got a sort of copper color when I layered it with some elvis orange and yellow. I can't be sure of the order exactly, but I like three layer colors and I like to experiment and I absolutely love TAG colors. Also try mighty moss with some of the mai tai's and red elvis. Good fun!! So far I haven't had mighty moss crack when inside either. Can't say that for most of the other sparkle colors in my experience. My favorite is mighty moss underneath TAG's green x. It comes out emerald!

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-24, 10:05am

try TAG blue stardust then layered with pomegranite or Elvis Light Red.

You could also reverse it. The regular blue stardust is not very dense ... just sparkley with a tint of blue.

Ohhh Jenny ... Paul ... are you listening ... we want sparkly transparent red!! Whoot!

I have a pound of Andromeda on order that I want to layer and play with (as well as frit down) ... looks to be triple passion with sparkle ... I love me triple passion over Mai Tai Pink ...and can't wait to do Andro over Mai Tai.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-03-24, 10:07am

or maybe Cherry Red dichro with Elvis??

Old 2013-03-24, 11:55am
Playing with Fire!

G.A. Ruby Strike, or even N.S. Ruby over G.A. Jackpot.

Playing with Fire!
Old 2013-03-24, 12:52pm
Dakine glass man

Pretty much any transparent ruby over any sparkle. I've found best results with it over heavy blue stardust. I use Elvis ruby. Also you can blend it with any sparkle with a ratio of 4 parts ruby 2 parts clear (I start the blend with a clear core) and 1 part heavily saturated sparkle of your choice. Then blend for about 10 min and pull into a new sparkly red cane.

Lampwork by John Lindquist
Old 2013-03-24, 6:39pm
Borovangelist

I wonder whatever happened to those two that were sort of in the works. I think there was a Ruby Slippers or something that was a one off for an event give away, and then I could have sworn there was one called Candy Apple that everyone was excited about. I'm pretty sure both were something Abe worked on.

|
|
Old 2013-03-24, 6:41pm
Dakine glass man

Tried both.... Ended up livering pretty bad

Old 2013-03-25, 12:06pm
yukue fumei

didn't TAG have a clear sparkle ? maybe? I've been out of the loop for a while

nagi

Old 2013-03-25, 12:36pm
Dakine glass man

They sent out some for testing but I don't think it's been released yet

Old 2013-03-26, 10:56am

last fall i was looking for a sparkley red and called TAG and the information i got from them was they were working on it but it hard when they mix it in the pot it comes come out muddy.
Champagne sparky is there more transparent sparkle and jenny with her great customer service looked and found some odd that was even more transparent. And i used that encased in Pomegranate. it worked OK but the sparkle is subdued as it is deep in the glass. i will have to try the mixing thing and see if it livers or not.
hope that help someone and i am sure that its just a matter of time before one of those mad scientist find a way to make it work.
Old 2013-03-26, 11:18am

I may have to get some TAG Champagne Sparky and try some Red Elvis over it. That sounds like it may just work.
Old 2013-03-26, 6:30pm
Dakine glass man

If you use red Elvis for mixing it won't liver. Try doing red Elvis and blue stardust with a ratio of 4 parts Elvis to 1 part stardust. I have also gotten good results with steel wool and disco sparkle mixed with Elvis, but I water down the sparkle about 8 to 1 first with clear then use that at the same 4 parts Elvis to 1 part mixed down disco/steel wool

Old 2013-03-26, 6:34pm
Dakine glass man

When using the wool or disco you do have to be careful not to burn the sparkle tho...... One of these days ill post a YouTube video on how to blend colors evenly...... One of these days....

Old 2013-03-26, 9:51pm

I have recently mixed red elvis with jackpot probably about a 4-2 ratio. What Im confused about is after I pulled it out into a 3 mm rod it strikes a nice dark sparkley red but when I use it in something it then loses the red and almost becomes a darker version of the jackpot. Is this normal when mixing red with sparkle? Ive seen some hint in this thread. Just thought it odd that I get it to be exactly how I want in rod form but it doesnt stay that way.
Old 2013-03-26, 10:09pm
Dakine glass man

Try running it through another striking cycle. That should bring it back to red. You may want to change your ratio to have more red and less jackpot as well.

Old 2013-03-26, 11:30pm

I will try the piece in another cycle. If that works I will leave my ratio the way it is. I absolutely love how dark the red became. I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.
Old 2013-03-27, 3:26am

I have found that Red Elvis thins out rather quickly.
Old 2013-03-27, 3:29am
Dakine glass man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
I have found that Red Elvis thins out rather quickly.
That's why I mix it heavy on the red. You can use dark red Elvis and it doesn't thin out so badly when mixed, but can liver a tiny bit.

Old 2013-03-27, 4:00am

I promise you it did not thin out at all. But it wont mean anything if the second kiln strike doesnt work. I will let you know later today how it came out.
Old 2013-03-27, 6:37am
hyperT

Default Goldstone

Goldstone on Cobalt Blue. Works with reds too. The photo doesn't do it justice.

These are pieces of goldstone picked up off the marver with hot clear glass then applied to the piece, the clear is then flattened over it to case it well. This gives you a nice gold sparkle color not a dull copper.
Attached Images

Old 2013-03-28, 8:16am

John's the man when it comes to blending colors.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Greenstone View Post
When using the wool or disco you do have to be careful not to burn the sparkle tho...... One of these days ill post a YouTube video on how to blend colors evenly...... One of these days....

Old 2013-03-29, 9:09am
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Goldstone on Cobalt Blue. Works with reds too. The photo doesn't do it justice.

These are pieces of goldstone picked up off the marver with hot clear glass then applied to the piece, the clear is then flattened over it to case it well. This gives you a nice gold sparkle color not a dull copper.
hyperT, is that boro or soft glass?
Old 2013-03-29, 9:12am
hyperT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntD View Post
hyperT, is that boro or soft glass?
Its cobalt blue soft glass COE 96, I work with all glasses.

Last edited by hyperT; 2013-03-29 at 9:15am.
Old 2013-03-29, 9:16am
funny mofo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperT View Post
Its cobalt blue soft glass COE 96, I work with all glasses.
Cool, thanks!