Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-04-12, 9:25am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Default Annealing Schedule Chart For Most Glasses?

Has anyone seen an annealing chart for most of the glasses we use? I have the following glasses in my studio, and am getting tired of hunting down the annealing schedule for each one when I decide to play with it:

Effetre
Lauscha
Vetrofond
Bullseye
Czech Glass
Gaffer
Boro
Satake
Kinari
Caliente
Pi Glass
System 96 (Uroboros)
90 COE (Uroboros)
Custom 94-96 COE (New Zealand)
Float Glass
Furnace Color (Kugler, Reichenbach, Zimmerman, etc.)

Wouldn't it be great to have ALL the numbers on ONE sheet?

So while I have your attention, when you're changing your annealing schedule to accomodate a new kind of glass, do you just change the temperatures and leave the timing the same?

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-04-12, 11:14am
sunscreen me baby

I would love to have it on one sheet! Can I have a copy when you find it?

I must admit I do use the same schedule for czech, effetre, lauscha bullseye and uroboros.

~

Old 2006-04-14, 12:03am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Check this out:
http://www.warmglass.com/Firing_Schedules.htm

Anyone have it?

Also Available in

Old 2006-04-14, 6:14am

Yikes! Ninety-five dollars!

Three libraries in the US have a copy and I have just placed a request to borrow it from one of them. Hopefully it is a circulating book and not a reference book. Will let you know when (and if) it arrives. Should take a week or so. The record says that there is a new 2000 edition, so I hope that's what I'll receive.

JanMD
Old 2006-04-14, 9:20am

that's in Australian dollars. Anyone know the exchange rate?

Old 2006-04-14, 9:39am

Never mind. I looked it up. A$95 is US$69

Old 2006-04-15, 11:18pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I've been working on a chart. I keep trying to post it here, but the formatting gets all screwed up.

The chart has 24 types of glass so far. Information columns include:
  • Product Name
  • COE
  • Annealing Temp (or range)
  • Strain Point
  • Sag Temp
  • Working Temp
Is that enough info? Anything else?

Also Available in

Old 2006-04-16, 5:24am

Hi Tink,

I recall discussing this on WetCanvas because I have a half finished chart I did a search over there and can't seem to find the thread. Post what you have so far and I'll see if I have some of the info that you haven't collected yet. Or just post the names of glassess that have the info on and I'll see if I have some of the ones you don't.

Make sense? It's a pretty big task and found it became overwhelming very quickly.

Cindy

Old 2006-04-16, 5:28am

Tink! Your chart will be a community treasure! Thanks in advance.

<<when you're changing your annealing schedule to accomodate a new kind of glass, do you just change the temperatures and leave the timing the same?>> I remember being taught that the timing was dependent only upon the size of the piece. So that would mean that, yes, you change the temp only (not the time) when accomodating a new kind of glass. Right?

JanMD
Old 2006-10-12, 5:14am

bumping this up to the surface - anyone have a source yet?
Old 2006-10-12, 5:28am
ManBearPig

Tink,

If you need to, send me the chart. I can get it converted so it will post here with no problem.

Old 2006-11-07, 12:17pm
& your rubino rod too!

Tink,
I found this because I was searching the forum for this info one brand at a time. It would be so wonderfull to have it all in one place!
Dana
Old 2006-11-12, 8:06am

I agree. This would be wonderful. I can't help with formatting but I could offer to research or enter data if it would help.
Old 2007-01-13, 8:40am
Damn Frit Bitch

Tink, This would be really helpful!! Several people have offered to help, can everybody send what they have and maybe one of us can compile it somewhere? Somebody's website, here, somewhere? I don't want to pay 95 (or even $69) for a chart (what i really want....). Thanks!! I'll try to find my book that I have somewhere that has most of the info in it (since I probably spent as much time looking here in LE and finding the book would have been about the same (it had to be packed for the church Xmas party in a box with other beading things- very sad and now mess in boxes).
Old 2007-01-14, 1:22pm
& your rubino rod too!

Tink, I know we would all help. I know where my book is do we have a site to start a compilation, or should we just use this thread for a draft?
Old 2007-01-14, 3:01pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

Just popping in to say that I hope this project gets done, one way or another. I don't feel any kind of ownership of it or anything: I would just like to see it happen. It would be a very valuable resource for everyone.

You guys posting here who have an interest in seeing this through should just figure out the best way to do it. We're coming out of some bad times here right now (John's mom passed away last week, among other things) so I can't do anything re: the chart right now anyway.

Also Available in

Old 2007-01-15, 1:16pm
Damn Frit Bitch

Maybe we can post everything here and then put it in some nice format and make a reference page for it, so it will be easily available for everyone (don't have to search through all the threads for it). Does it need to be in some sort of graph format, or can it just be typed and up loaded (I always screw up somewhere and all the lines never line up when it's just typed).
Old 2007-01-15, 1:42pm
trying to follow along

If all the info can be posted or emailed to me I'd be happy to put it in a pdf and upload it to a website for all to use.
Old 2007-01-24, 2:10pm

Default chart

Tink - did this chart ever come into existence, and if so, where would I find it?
Deb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
I've been working on a chart. I keep trying to post it here, but the formatting gets all screwed up.

The chart has 24 types of glass so far. Information columns include:
  • Product Name
  • COE
  • Annealing Temp (or range)
  • Strain Point
  • Sag Temp
  • Working Temp
Is that enough info? Anything else?

Old 2007-01-24, 3:06pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeboraCox_facetsdesigns View Post
Tink - did this chart ever come into existence, and if so, where would I find it?
Deb
Read post #16.

Me
Old 2007-01-25, 6:09am
Damn Frit Bitch

Tink, can you send it to Camie (post #1 and she can maybe put it in a format that can be posted (I have no idea of your computer skills). It seems like it would be a great thing to be posted on this website somewhere other than a thread....
Old 2007-01-25, 7:59am
tinkmartin.etsy.com

I'm still looking for the chart I started. Here is a link to some great infor from Mike Firth. I confess, as I was putting the chart together, I had some difficulty deciding which temps were most important, and whether or not there were different terms for the same thing. For example: Sag, softening, working, slump.

http://www.cowtown.net/mikefirth/techspec.htm#GLTEMP

Also Available in

Old 2007-01-25, 12:17pm

I have this book ... smile ... I'll see what it has. I'm sure it will be missing the new glasses (had the book a year - it was more expensive than that when I bought it).

If you need any more info Tink pm me.

Sadie

Last edited by SadiesJewels; 2007-01-25 at 12:20pm.
Old 2007-01-30, 11:00pm
as in the state

Default Glass Annealing Info Spreadsheet

Okay...

I've managed to find some data on various glasses (via websites such as Arrow Springs, Uroboros, Bullseye, Dogmaw glass, etc.) and the James Kervin book "More than you Ever Wanted to know about Glass Beadmaking."

I'm missing info on Caliente glass (though I've sent an email) and Pi glass (again, I sent an email). I have compiled a spreadsheet with the name of the glass, COE, annealing temp, strain temp, softening temp, working temp, and the source from where I got the info. There are still some holes in the spreadsheet, and some of the info is kind of vague (i.e. Arrow Springs annealing temp of 565-1050F...) But, it's a start, and I think the people who have worked with the glass could probably kick in their 2 cents for what they use to anneal their glass at.

I'd love to post it here, but it's in a Microsoft Xcel spreadsheet format, and I can't figure out how to get that onto here. If anyone has ideas for that, I'd happily email it to you. If we get everyone's notes together, we'll have one kickin' spreadsheet!!

I've included ASK, Bullseye, Caliente, Czech soda, Czech shampoo, Czech lead, Effetre, Gaffer, Kugler, Lauscha, Pi Glass, Reichenbach, Satake, Satake lead, Spectrum, Uroboros, Vetrofond, Wasser, Zimmerman, Boromax, Glass Alchemy, North Star, Pyrex, window glass, Armstrong float glass. I know it's not a complete list, but it's a start. As I've said, there are holes, some I only have the COE info for, and I'm hoping everyone else can kick in what they know about it. I've also included some tips such as Carol Anne's annealing temp, Dogmaw's annealing temp, etc. I have not tried all these glasses, I don't claim that this is perfect or that all of these numbers are correct. However, I have included the source of my information so you can take it as you wish.

I'll wait for someone to PM me to see how we can get this posted on here!

-Amy
Old 2007-01-30, 11:10pm

Default great work Amy!

Amy, it does not appear that LE allows excel file uploads at this time. You can save your document area in excel as a word document. It will convert to a table in word, and I notice that the Manage Attachments button below will accept .doc files. Just an idea... if you aren't sure how to save it for word, i'd be happy to have you email the excel file to me privately and i could adjust it for you...
Deb

Old 2007-01-30, 11:26pm
as in the state

Deb--PM'd you. =)

-Amy
Old 2007-01-31, 6:57am
Biscuit Lover

Hey people this is a very, very exciting project you are working on! I have taken the liberty of PM'ing SadiesJewels to make sure she notices what you're up to, as maybe she could fill in some of your gaps with the book she has. That's supposed to be a great book... kathy
Old 2007-01-31, 7:03am

Without reading all the posts I'd like to ask why you don't simply put it in a .pdf file? That way it's accessible to EVERYone. If you can't do that then send me the file and I'll do it.

You must remember that much as Bill Gates would like to think so, Microsoft does not rule the world and not everyone on the planet uses Word or Excel.

Old 2007-01-31, 9:33am
as in the state

Darleen--

You are right, not everyone uses Microsoft products on their computers. Just remember this is a baby project (as in I just started compiling this list from this thread) and was doing so from my computer (a mac) with what I had available and what I am most familiar with (Excel--wanted the spreadsheet grids). As the list grows, as I get ideas and more input from others we'll figure out the best way to perhaps even get it posted here on LE so that everyone will have access to it.

It's still very much a work in progress, and I'm sure it will not be in a word or excel document once it's finished.

-Amy
Old 2007-01-31, 10:02am

Amy, HONEY. You have a Mac!? so PRINT to a pdf file. The adobe reader is FREE to everyone and is accessible by EVERYone.