Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-07-17, 8:31am

Default 2 oxycons - how loud are they ?

i'm considering buying 2 refurbished oxygen generators,
since i (try to) do boro.
but i've never seen one at work. they are not popular around here.
so what should i expect?
how much noise?
what about the elecreicity? how expensive will it be?
pray tell.
Old 2006-07-17, 9:16am

Assuming they are operating properly, both together should be no louder than a box fan set on low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-17, 9:27am
I fart diamonds

It all depends on the type. Some are more loud than others, but you should still be able to here people talking in their normal voices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-07-17, 9:39am
ManBearPig

They won't be nearly as loud as your ventilation system.

Old 2006-07-17, 2:58pm

thanks guys.
what about the juice?
how many AMPs per machine?

(btw, do they heat much?)
Old 2006-07-17, 4:03pm
ManBearPig

I'm not sure how much current they draw becaue my electrical bill is the same whether or not I run mine.

As for heat, they don't produce any to speak of.

Old 2006-07-17, 4:10pm

a 5LPM Concentrator will draw between 4 and 5 amps.

Old 2009-07-14, 7:11pm

I am just ordering my first boro glass but I should have asked first if it can be used on a minor and 2 concentrators (both 5lpm) Color looked to good on ebay for a sample pack!!!!!
Old 2009-07-14, 7:31pm
fritaholic

We're running 2 EX-15's at the same time. They draw 7-8 amps each.
Our ventilation fans make WAY more noise. The oxycons are practically silent except for a periodic "exhale." No heat, and mine is right at my elbow.

Don't know about the cost to run. We haven't gotten our 1st electric bill since getting the studio set up.

Good luck. We love the convenience of the oxycons.

Lisa

ETA: We're not using boro yet, but have been assured that we can with a Nortel Mega Minor and an EX-15.

Last edited by LisaF-R; 2009-07-14 at 7:35pm.
Old 2009-07-14, 7:37pm
Booger #7

Yup, mine are pretty quiet too, I just hear them "breathing", my vent fan is way noisier!

Old 2009-07-14, 8:12pm
Kobuki & DIY Homefill Sys

my two invacares are noticeably quieter than my 2 devilbiss'
Old 2009-07-15, 4:05am

I have two m-15's (which are supposedly almost the exact sase as a ex-15) and having calculated it all out, they each use 600w of power aka 1200w aka 1.2kw hours of power an hour aka where I live at 11cents a kw hour (after delivery charges etc bs charges etc.). So to run two for 12 hours (my normal glass workday) it costs me $1.32 vs. $21 dollar ktank fillup & $12+ dollars in gas to get the 41 miles to the closest oxygen supplier (and I go through a k-tank in 1-2 days..)...

So on average they save me anywhere from $10 to $20 dollars a day... So even if they only saved me $10 bucks a day they pay for themselves on roughly the 75th day (really ALOT earlier just being conservative and not even adding in car gasoline to get pickups every day)... It's really more like they pay for themselves in 30 to 40 days, and thats if you paid the RETAIL price for them and not the scratch and dent price (in which case you pay it off in like half the time...)...