Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-02-28, 12:12pm
Melting

Default Sublime

Could anyone give me some tips on this color? I was hoping for that bright shocking green, but all I am getting is nearly clear. I've tried leaving it as is, striking, kiln striking, and reducing. I have a rod of seconds; the rod itself is nearly clear. Maybe a problem with the rod? TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-02-28, 1:11pm
Marbles, dude, Marbles

I got about the same results as you. My guess is that it is meant to give you a subtle effect when put over other colors. I just do not know which other colors, and I do not feel like experimenting (I do plenty of experimenting, but not with sublime). Has anyone else played with sublime?

Old 2011-02-28, 1:13pm

You can always go to Northstar's website and look up the descriptions for each color. It will also refer you to any newsletter which may pertain to more suggestions with working that color. Go to: http://www.northstarglass.com and select "Working our Color". I like Sublime over Blue Caramel - amazing!
Old 2011-02-28, 4:06pm
ILERNTITBYWATCHINU

yup . sublime on it's own is almost clear. i like it over dark blue amber purple, blue caramel and blue moon.

Old 2011-02-28, 4:11pm
Pyromaniac

Im about to do a big project and bought a pound of sublime to use over Blue Caramel. Anyone have some pictures of what they've done with Sublime?

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2011-02-28, 5:12pm
Melting

Thanks for all the input. I'd love to see pictures as well. Do you get the neon green by layering over white?

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-02-28, 6:09pm
formerly Marella

Here's a leaf I made with Sublime as the base and one of The Venerable Bead's frit blends...I like Sublime with earthy tones.

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-28, 6:32pm
Glassmangler

I was also pretty disappointed with Sublime, even over other colors. Maybe I'll try doing a tube pull with it over unobtanium or something.
Old 2011-02-28, 9:43pm
Formerly Bakerman44

very cool gillian!! here is just a solid green clover. but if you put it over lochness you get a swampy-mossy green. but thicken it up a bit over the lochness.
Attached Images

Old 2011-02-28, 10:07pm
Newb boro fanatic

When I put some over reduced Blue Caramel, it goes bright gold metallic. Very cool. I might try it over some other colours today... tho I only have a short sample rod of the Sublime.

For a more bright green maybe try TAG Slyme?

Old 2011-03-01, 3:50am
Newb boro fanatic

Sublime on, from L to R, Spring luster, then NS Unobtanium, Bright White bar, NS Egyptian White Sand, NS Canary, TAG Leprechaun, and NS Caramel.

no flash:

I really like it over Leprechaun, gives a very bright green. The Sublime in those tests is pretty thin though, It'd will be much brighter if it was thicker... Like, really thick. lol

Old 2011-03-01, 1:08pm
Melting

Thanks. When I saw the paddle I was under the impression that it was supposed to darken to a pretty intense color. Obviously not! I have blue caramel and blue moon; I'll try it over those next time.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-02, 8:57am
Formerly Bakerman44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
When I put some over reduced Blue Caramel, it goes bright gold metallic. Very cool. I might try it over some other colours today... tho I only have a short sample rod of the Sublime.

For a more bright green maybe try TAG Slyme?
a really cool gold metallic is transparent amber (very thin layer) over unobtanium. im going to try your suggestion though..i love me some metallic gold!!

Old 2011-03-03, 12:36am

NS descriptions "Sublime is a transparent iridescent signal light green" So I put a stripe of it on clear twisted and covered it with more clear just to see what it would look like. After it came outta the annealer I couldn't even see it, I had to look really hard.

I think either my definition of "transparent iridescent signal light green" is different then theirs or I managed to get a seconds/off rod, got it from a color pack.

It looks more yellow then green to me maybe it was mislabeled?
Old 2011-03-03, 1:27am
Newb boro fanatic

That sounds like my Sublime too, and I got mine in a NS sample pack, not 2nds or odds. It looks like a lime's flesh or juice to me, when I look though about a 1cm thickness of it anyway.

I'm wondering if it may be UV reactive though... Does anyone have a blacklight they can test it with? If it is it may explain why it's so underwhelming compared to Northstar's picture of it...

Old 2011-03-03, 12:14pm
Pyromaniac

Do your rods look like this?

Made a couple of large pieces today with blue caramel and sublime and dropped both on the floor. May try to fix them.

Got some good color though so will post pictures anyway when they come out of the kiln.

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-03-04 at 8:46am. Reason: spelling
Old 2011-03-03, 3:26pm
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasspyro View Post
NS descriptions "Sublime is a transparent iridescent signal light green" So I put a stripe of it on clear twisted and covered it with more clear just to see what it would look like. After it came outta the annealer I couldn't even see it, I had to look really hard.

I think either my definition of "transparent iridescent signal light green" is different then theirs or I managed to get a seconds/off rod, got it from a color pack.

It looks more yellow then green to me maybe it was mislabeled?
Yeah, that was my problem. I put it over clear and I couldn't really see it either; just the tiniest hint of a lime like tint. I was thinking the same thing as you - either I have a real difference of definition or my rod is off! I don't know what I could be signaling with that green...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Do you rods look like this?

My rod looks nearly clear with a slight lime tint, but it might look different in a bundle. I only have the one rod.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-03, 3:32pm
Melting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
That sounds like my Sublime too, and I got mine in a NS sample pack, not 2nds or odds. It looks like a lime's flesh or juice to me, when I look though about a 1cm thickness of it anyway.

I'm wondering if it may be UV reactive though... Does anyone have a blacklight they can test it with? If it is it may explain why it's so underwhelming compared to Northstar's picture of it...

So not a rod problem then. I don't have a UV light. In their newsletter they show some nice color from it and it looks like it might be completely transparent. I'd like to know how they got that. It looks like the paddle - like a really cool slime color.

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-03, 9:38pm
Pyromaniac

I wonder if there is a questionable batch out there, the ones I just got delivered are a nice bright iridescent lime green, much brighter than Cornbread's shamrock.

Old 2011-03-04, 5:50am
Pyromaniac

I have a rod of sublime that is probably 5 or 6 years old, it's pretty much like cornbread's shamrock. I'll try to dig it out and get a picture. I always felt it was too pale and washed out & I have never done anything with it as a result.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-03-04, 7:23am
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnehlers View Post
Thanks for all the input. I'd love to see pictures as well. Do you get the neon green by layering over white?
No, I just did a set of florals over white with some sublime in the vine cane. I looks just barely yellow.
Old 2011-03-04, 8:17am
Pyromaniac

It's really pretty over Blue Caramel, lots of different greens and golds.
I don't think you get much color unless it is thicker.

Here's some pics (all are over thick clear base and about 2.5" diameter):
Sublime and Clear over Blue Caramel and Brown Glitter stringers:

Solid Sublime Leaf:

Sublime over Blue Caramel:

Last edited by ginkgoglass; 2011-03-04 at 11:15am.
Old 2011-03-04, 7:52pm

Yummm that is purty.

Old 2011-03-04, 7:54pm

Lana, that's beautiful! 2 1/2 in. WOW
Old 2011-03-04, 8:44pm
put a bird on it

Lovely!
Old 2011-03-05, 6:32am
Melting

That's incredible!

~
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-06, 5:45am

If you use TAG Purple Sable and reduce it, then encase in Trans Sublime...you get the most beautiful abalone look evah! One of my favs ;-D Samma

Old 2011-03-06, 12:00pm
Pyromaniac

Thanks!

Ooooo I have some Purple Sable.
Would love to see more pictures with Sublime.

Old 2011-03-06, 4:25pm

I just took a quick shot with some real abalone and a couple pieces I've done with Purple Sable and Sublime. Sorry for the shine,but these lil guys are so sparklie they are hard to photograph ;-D

Old 2011-03-06, 7:32pm

Wow.