Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-26, 11:47am

Question "Dragons Breath"/ "Jelly Opal" glass

I collect vintage "Dragons Breath" glass jewelry and cabs and have been trying to figure out how the glass was made. The glass was also refered to as mexican opal but it is only glass that was popular in the 1930's give or take. A lot of new mexico(?) tourist jewelry was made out of it and now it is very desirable and difficult to find. The glass is usually lightbrown in color with an inner blue,purple and/or red "fire" within. It appears to me that a first layer of glass was laid down then some sort of metal fume(?) or silvered glass was laid down on top of that, then a large layer of light brown or maybe even clear is applied atop to create a large dome. I'm just quessing at this process as I can't find much info on the process. The final product is quite beautiful and magical looking- like dragons breath. Does anyone have any ideas? I would appreciate any ideas before I start experimenting and no doubt wasting lots of glass. I'm sorry I've no pictures to show but if you try ebay and enter dragons breath in jewelry you can see what I'm talking about. Thanks for any ideas-Joan
Old 2009-10-26, 12:33pm
Covered in glitter

Not a clue but it sounds really interesting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-10-26, 1:36pm

Ooooh - you might ask the vintage button collectors. They are great resources for info on some of these older costume type "jewels."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-26, 3:06pm
I speak Murrini!

I have a suggestion! Have you seen the GT Silver Glass called "Mountain Honey"? You can see my "tips" on how to use it and evoke the color effect in Post #4 of this thread, but I'll throw a couple pictures here too. Check it out: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...mountain+honey

Tee hee...just a FEW!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2009-10-26 at 3:21pm.
Old 2009-10-26, 5:59pm

Thanks De- mountain honey is a good suggestion as a component. Thanks! Joan
Old 2009-10-26, 7:59pm
Life is change. Love it

I looked at some of the stuff on ebay, and I think it would be pretty easy to reproduce similar using some dichro and/or Mountain Honey/Olympia Rain/Aion under amber coloured glass.

Old 2009-10-27, 5:12am
Queen Bee

If your looking for vintage cabs made of it, I can keep an eye out for it during my vintage warehouse buying jaunts -- one of my suppliers has a whole room just of vintage glass and gemstone cabs.

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2009-10-27, 5:41am
Dangerous Woman

WOW! I never heard of that before but it is beautiful!!! I'm watching a couple of pieces!

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2009-10-27, 5:59am
Never Never Land

I looked this up on eBay. What I found reminded me of a ring my grandmother used to have that looked as if it were bits of foil under glass. I always used to wonder why she was wearing a ring with Christmas tinsel in it.

Maya
Old 2009-10-27, 7:52am

I looked at the Dragon's Breath pieces on ebay and thought of these when I saw the amber/brownish ones. These are Copper dichro on amber, but you could probably use Copper/clear as it's more readily available. The dichro was encased with either Straw Yellow or Handpulled Brown transparent (can't remember which one) and the swirls are Olympia Rain stringers applied in a slight reducing flame.

TAG made a 104 glass that was called Jelly Opal and it would get the purplish/rosy colors if the moon was in the right phase, your tongue was just so and well.....I got it to do it's jelly opal thing just once. lol

Old 2009-10-27, 9:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoan View Post
Thanks De- mountain honey is a good suggestion as a component. Thanks! Joan
yep - any of the amber-purple glasses will do this, in boro or 104.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-28, 11:03am

Thanks everyone for all of the input! I would appreciate it Donna if you did keep an eye out for any of the old pieces- I wish there was someplace like a bead warehouse around here-(I think I would be in heaven and very poor!!!). Great thoughts and recipes! Thanks again ,Joan