The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-05, 9:29pm
too many rods in the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Thank you. I do stand sometimes, but sit too. I think I'm going to tell him it's a go, and hopefully it will help my back but also help to steady my hands for stringer & dots, etc.
I love, love, love mine! And you are right - it is super helpful for stringer work and to help steady your hands for intricate work. It is highly adjustable, so you can really get it set up to "fit" you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-03-05, 9:46pm
Loving learning

OK, I asked DH if he was ordering it (since it's a gift from him) or if he wanted me to do it. He suggested I do it so he couldn't get it wrong, so I did it just now, and somehow a button mandrel and a few opalinos got in the cart too.
Can't take your eye off those carts for a minute, LOL, but at least they're offering $5.00 shipping right now on orders over $50.00 so the glass was pretty much free, right?
Old 2012-03-06, 12:32am
Dynamic Duo

We had one of these, and both wanted to use it. so now we have two, and really love them. Highly recommended.

Old 2012-03-06, 2:18pm
Loving learning

I can hardly wait. I hope he doesn't want to wrap it up & keep it until my actual birthday, LOL.
Old 2012-06-07, 12:57pm

Two questions for those of you that have one of these, before I make another expensive mistake (have never been able to use my Creation Station properly, and now can no longer lean on my elbows AT ALL, and cannot for the life of me get the wrist rest pieces adjusted to a place where they actually help *and* let me reach the flame)....

1. Will it work on a Phantom? They stopped the list at Cheetah....

2. Can it be adjusted so that you have the weight on your forearms while you are actually working in the flame, not on your wrists or elbows? It looks like it's not going to do any better at that than the creation station, or else I just don't understand how to hold things and how to get them close enough to the flame to actually work....

Thanks!
Old 2012-06-07, 2:19pm
Loving learning

I can't help you with #1.

I think I rest my forearms on the arm rests. I had it adjust incorrectly at first and was cocking my wrists so that I was having pain in the backs of my hands & wrists at first, I raised the "wings" part to cure that problem now. The only problem I have now is that I have to kind of peer over to see the flame well. I don't know if I can alter it enough to keep my wrists OK but see the flame all the time or not, & maybe it's just the way I sit, or have my torch arranged. It isn't that big a deal, I just have to remember to look to check the flame.

It's raining now, but if you want, I can have DH take my picture "in position".

Last edited by Eileen; 2012-06-07 at 2:23pm.
Old 2012-06-07, 2:50pm
too many rods in the fire

Karin, it is very adjustable and I rest all of the weight on my forearms when using it.

I would think it would work fine with almost any torch, because the space underneath is pretty large but i would suggest asking Craig - he designed it and would know for sure if your torch would fit.

Old 2012-11-09, 6:28am
ALWAYS SMILES

Bumping this......to see if any of the contemplaters did go ahead and get this, and if it relieved their personal challenges ? Specifically for my interest, has it relieved the 'tennis elbow' feeling for anyone who chose to use it? Knowing me I will hit the 'add to cart' before I find out....but still curious !
Old 2012-11-09, 9:24am
Glass Addict

I LOVE mine and doubt I could make beads without it!! The only drawback is the foam covering the arm-rests.... it melts very quickly when hot glass frit hits it!! I had my mom felt woolen "sleeves" that slide on over the arms.... no more scorching and burnt rubber-foam smell... just a few burnt woolen fibers to remind me I got to close to the sleeves

I bought it to relieve my "lampworker's neck" and it does a fantastic job!! No more strains in my neck and shoulders... I put most of my weight on my forearms and on the arm rests... it works GREAT!!

As for the size of the "hole" the torch fits through... I have a GTT Lynx and it just fits...

Last edited by tilegoddess; 2012-11-09 at 9:27am.
Old 2012-11-10, 5:24am
ALWAYS SMILES

Thanks Joy ! I ordered it yesterday immediately after posting and already received a delivery confirmation. I have been seriously making beads now for a year and have never had neck, shoulder issues (and elbow!) before.....then the last few months have been rough. I spent $50 on a massage yesterday, nice , but not totally effective.....if I were to do that twice a month......well, this device will pay for itself fast if it works for me ! And I just LOVE the wool pad idea....yeah !
Old 2012-11-10, 8:02am
The Beadstress

I wound up not buying it because my dh manufactured something for me using the arm rests from an old office chair. Had he not made it for me I would have bought the Arrow Springs one.

It always works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end. - this is what my sister tells me
Old 2012-11-10, 10:55am
Bead semi-newbie

love mine, take it with me to all classes which is sometimes a problem getting their pinned down torches to fit into the arm rest. i show up early so that we can figure it out.

mine looks horrible since they put that burny plastic stuff (purple) all the way to the marver pad, not good. i scraped the burny plastic stuff off the "wings" about 2" from the marver pad so, when small accidents occur, i am not breathing burnt plastic fumes. they should leave it raw metal since you aren't really putting your hands and arms that close to the flame, can't anyway because of the marver pad. other that those two issues, great and i can't live without it.
LOVE silver glass
Old 2012-11-10, 12:06pm

I ordered one yesterday as well. I have the Comfort Station but really like the looks and feedback on this one.

It should be here Tuesday!

Old 2012-11-10, 12:11pm
Loving learning

I repositioned mine again recently, turned the bottom around, and it is great now. I can see the flame, and it supports my forearms while I work. I've only burned my pads once that I can think of, by touching something hot to them by mistake.
Old 2012-11-21, 3:15pm

Unhappy Bummed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suestress View Post
I wound up not buying it because my dh manufactured something for me using the arm rests from an old office chair. Had he not made it for me I would have bought the Arrow Springs one.
Sue, would you mind sharing the details of how your husband went about creating this?

I am bummed. I had one in my Arrow Springs shopping cart ready to check-out and thought maybe I should call first to see if it is compitable with my torch. I have a Major/Minor combo torch and it turns out the Hand and Arm Rest won't fit on larger torches. They said they had some larger ones at one time, but are out and it may be a few months before they get any...it kinda sounded like that might never happen.
Old 2012-11-21, 9:00pm
randomly active member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzan View Post
I am bummed. I had one in my Arrow Springs shopping cart ready to check-out and thought maybe I should call first to see if it is compitable with my torch. I have a Major/Minor combo torch and it turns out the Hand and Arm Rest won't fit on larger torches. They said they had some larger ones at one time, but are out and it may be a few months before they get any...it kinda sounded like that might never happen.
I wouldn't hold your breath. I have a Bethlehem torch and they said I too would need the bigger version since the Bethlehem torches run tall. I've had one on back-order since April. I've pretty much given up
.:.

Old 2012-11-21, 9:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

Does anyone know if it would work with a Scorpion?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-11-21, 9:28pm

Default Bravo torch

I have the Bravo and it fits but it's tight. I didn't know there were two sizes available. I do like it more than the Comfort Station although I only have used it a couple of hours.

Old 2012-11-22, 10:32pm

Thanks for the input Sweetiedog and for confirming my suspicions. I really hate this. I finally have the money to spring for one and there isn't one to be had. :/