Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-11-22, 1:02pm
WildBird Beads

Exclamation M15 came with no manual, I need information.

My M15 oxygen generator came the other day, without any manual. I have a Cricket that I want to use with it. I have been using the Cricket on tanked O2 until now.
I am hoping that someone out there is using a Cricket with a M15, and can give me some information about settings and use with this torch. I have never used a oxygen generator before.
I have already contacted ArrowSprings and Oxygen Unlimited about this. I just would like to use the generator this weekend.

Thanks,
WildBird
Old 2008-11-22, 1:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I set my oxycons at their maximum lpm setting (or just below it) and then control the oxy flow at the torch - works great .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-11-22, 1:15pm
WildBird Beads

Yea, well I have no idea what a maximum setting is set? The oxycon is totally encased in a matt black steel case, which is pretty but actually makes it worse for me trying to figure out where controls are and what they do.
Thanks for the information, I will take it out to the shop and see if I can get it going and use your info as a guide.
WildBird
Old 2008-11-22, 1:18pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

LOL - ok, I can see where that would be a problem. Aren't there any buttons or knobs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-22, 1:23pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that is strange - the pic on the site shows the unit looking like this:

http://www.unlimitedoxygen.com/mseries.htm

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-22, 1:36pm

There was a seller on ebay that had modified M-15 that came in a black case. I would assume that should you be able to find the control they would work the same, don't know

Arrrow Spring has a good .pdf on using Oxycons you can find that here

Old 2008-11-22, 3:36pm
WildBird Beads

So the problem with ArrowSprings Pdf is that it is a generic 1 page thing. I guess I was looking for information specifically for a Cricket and M15 use until I recieve the manual that is supposed to come with it. For example, it was supposed to come with some extra filters. I have turned the oxycon around on it's wheels and let me tell you, without any experience with one before, I haven't a clue where the h*ll a filter is even located.

WildBird
Old 2008-11-22, 3:48pm
birdergirl ~o~

If the M-15 is one of Oxygen Unlimited they are really helpful if called.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-11-22, 3:49pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

well, you don't need to worry about the filters at this point. Setting it up for the cricket is the same as for any other torch. Hook it up, turn it to max and open the oxy knob on your cricket. Do you have the hoses to hook it up?

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-22, 3:54pm
WildBird Beads

Thanks Squid,
Yea I have the hoses, so now that I have gotten rid of a nasty migriane this morning, I'm going to go out and "hook em up" .

WildBird
Old 2008-11-22, 5:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBird View Post
Thanks Squid,
Yea I have the hoses, so now that I have gotten rid of a nasty migriane this morning, I'm going to go out and "hook em up" .

WildBird
Hello, maybe I can help. There is really no manual available on how to hook your torch. But, you have 2 options. If you have been using a tank, you probably have a hose that screws onto your tank regulator. If so, that hose will screw right on to the brass outlet on the M15. If you dont have the brass nut on your hose, you can push the cut end of the hose on to the xmas tree adapter that came on the unit. jack
Old 2008-11-22, 5:15pm

The settings on the black steel M15 are identical to the Millennium. The flow meter adjusts the flow output. You can set it at the optimum output 8lpm, and do the adjustments at your torch. Let the machine run for a few minutes before each use. Filter should be checked every 30 days or so and replaced when dirty. They should last 6 or 8 months. Dont used flashback arrestors or regulators on these units. Hope I have answered some of your questions.
Old 2008-11-23, 11:15am
WildBird Beads

I went out last night and I had some extra hardware parts for quick connects, so I replace the plastic adapter with brass nut and 3/8 adapter. I had a really long set of hoses, so I just cut the O2 hose closer to the torch and left the longer half connected to the O2 tank. I will eventually add a quick connect half to that end of the hose.
Everything worked great. I still don't have a clue where the filter is, much less the filters that will be coming later. So where are the filters located on the unit??

Thanks,
WildBird
Old 2008-11-23, 2:56pm

Hey oxydoc,
you mention to NOT use flasback arrestors. What about quick connects that have the flashback arrestor built in? Should I switch to a plain quick connect?
Thanks!
Deneen
Old 2008-11-23, 2:57pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deneen View Post
Hey oxydoc,
you mention to NOT use flasback arrestors. What about quick connects that have the flashback arrestor built in? Should I switch to a plain quick connect?
Thanks!
Deneen
I'm not oxydoc, but I am about 100% sure he would say yes.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-11-24, 1:46pm

Thanks, Squid!
Old 2008-11-24, 3:34pm
I know, I can't spell

there should be a hatch in the back of the generator there is where one of your filters are the other places are on the side.

sorry I am not very discriptive and I hope that you get all worked out.

Soon new stuff
Old 2008-11-24, 7:37pm

do not use the quick disconnects! the first oxycon i used one on broke the plastic spigot. oxycon then sent me a new generator with a brass spigot.the second one froze brass to brass and i had a heck of a time getting it off. i twisted the heck out of my brass spigot and twisted the tubing leading to the spigotin side the concentrator. dont ask how! i had to take the oxygon back off and twist the tubing back in place. one of oxycons technicians told me what to do. use the oxygen tubing with the screw on connector. i also marked the front of the oxycon spigot so i would know if it was twisting.
Old 2008-11-24, 10:19pm
PyronamixK

Whenever you screw anything onto an oxycon outlet, be it a quick disconnect or the brass b-fitting of your oxygen hose, only tighten it by hand and never over-tighten it. Make sure that your threads are not crossed, too.

Also, never pull your oxycon around by the hose. It is tempting to do so, and really easy with it being on wheels and all, but it is a quick way to break the outlet.

When setting the LPM on your oxycon, you really want to be setting the upper limit. What you would do is open the oxygen valve of your torch all the way, turn on the machine and let it warm up, and then set the flow of the machine to its maximum. This way, your machine shouldn't drift above the rated flow while you're using it. You might want to check it while you're running to make sure that it hasn't drifted upward (like if it wasn't warmed up enough when you set it).
Old 2008-11-25, 10:16am

You should at least check that the filters were not dislodged during shipping.

Our Hurricane came with no manual or instructions, so we called the distributor, who told us how to connect it up, but neglected to mention the filters. We ran it for awhile before reading about the filters online, and wondering where they were located. Our machine has a small metal plate near the back of the top, with two small screws in it. When we opened the plate, we found both filters lying next to their tubes. I'll bet the distributor put them on, but they were knocked off during shipping. So you may not have to change the filters for a bit, but you should at least check that they're in place.
Old 2008-11-25, 7:07pm

kbinkster is right always tighten only by hand. i was using a wrench. another difference with the oxycon although it is a good machine, it will breathe. there will be differences in flow. you can tell when you bleed the hose and torch prior to torching. i open up my oxygen vents and just let it flow. if i put my hand in front of the torch(its not lit!) you can feel variations in the pressure of the flow. i am going to be torching at my sisters house in the winter so i am going to move my m15 to her place and invest in a regalia for home. its my understanding that the regalia doesnt have variations in flow.