Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-05-17, 12:42pm

Default Michael Barley's method of Rubino and silver leaf

I recently took a class with Michael Barley which was awesome. He demonstrated his method of using rubino over silver leaf, which is also in Corina's Spotlight on Silver. I have a Mini Carlisle CC and each time I attempt making this bead, the rubino ends up looking like a light tan shade instead of clear. This is the Chrysalis technique. I'm just wondering if anyone has been successful with a Mini Carlisle CC and this particular technique. Michael uses a Nortel Minor. I've tried turning the propane way down too. I'm wondering if it is operator error (me!) or my torch since I've heard it runs "hotter" than the Minor.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 2009-05-17, 1:15pm

which leaf are you using? he swears by arrow springs silver, but i've gotten to do it with others but not as nice, very strange! i'd make a small bead and just practice.

May the love of animals inspire you, teach you & heal you...
Old 2009-05-17, 1:22pm

I purchased the silver leaf from Arrow springs as he suggested. I've tried a bunch of times, but have not had any success. With the rubino turning this tannish color, is that an indication of too much propane? Also, when you melt the silver into the bead, is that with a neutral flame and do you melt it all the way into the bead so that you don't see the silver? That's what I've been doing. With more of an oxy flame, the silver doesn't seem to melt into the bead. Thanks-sherry
Old 2009-05-17, 1:34pm
maybe tomorrow

Since you've taken a class from him, why don't you email him to ask him if he can suggest what you might be doing wrong. As you know, he's super nice, and I'm sure he'd try to help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-05-17, 1:47pm

Thanks, I did email him and I tried his suggestions, but still no success. He was great. That's why I'm wondering if it is my torch. I would love to know if someone has successfully made these beads with the Mini Carlisle CC. I like my torch, but I really want to make these beads-just trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong or is it the torch??

Thanks, sherry
Old 2009-05-17, 1:55pm

I thought at some point it was mentioned that the cobalt glass formula changed and it didn't react exactly the same? I'm curious, too, the technique seems to be hit and miss for me. (I was on a HH, now a Minor.)

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-05-17, 2:22pm

This particular technique calls for rolling the silver on clear and then applying rubino. But I did also try it on cobalt and the rubino was dark and ugly. It's frustrating. I even tried the methods on the wet canvas technique from Alyson which is a few years old and I couldn't get it to work. I keep lowering the propane-I'm not sure if that's the issue or not. Any suggestions are very welcome. Thanks.
Old 2009-05-17, 2:25pm
birdergirl ~o~

Does anyone have a link to a photo using this, I'm curious as to what you are talking about!
Thanks!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-05-17, 2:35pm

I'm sorry, but i don't have a photo, but it was published in Corina's Spotlkight on Silver, on the Michael Barley page. There was also a tutorial on wet canvas from Nov. of 2007 called Ruby Gold and Silver Beads using the transparent colors as the base for the silver and rubino. It's a beautiful reaction when it works. Just looking for someone with a mini Carlisle that can do it successfully (or not) to determine if I'm doing something wrong or is it my torch.

Thanks.
Old 2009-05-17, 5:14pm

Try striking the rubino?
Old 2009-05-17, 8:17pm
Lampworkaholic!

You want to work in a hot hissy high-oxy flame to get the Rubino to push the silver around. You don't want to reduce the silver or fume the Rubino. And be sure it is leaf, not foil. I don't find a difference between Arrowsprings and the generic leaf myself, but your mileage may vary.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-18, 5:14am

Thanks, I will try this flame today. I'm hoping!
Old 2009-05-18, 6:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
You want to work in a hot hissy high-oxy flame to get the Rubino to push the silver around. You don't want to reduce the silver or fume the Rubino. And be sure it is leaf, not foil. I don't find a difference between Arrowsprings and the generic leaf myself, but your mileage may vary.
Yes, it has to be leaf.

Old 2009-05-18, 7:43am

Hi Elizabeth,
Your comment about a hot hissy high-oxy flame caused me to look at my regulator and the pressure was set too low for my oxygen. I turned it up, made a bead and it looks a lot better-can't tell for sure until it comes out of the kiln--but I'm hoping!!

Thanks so much, Sherry
Old 2009-05-18, 8:32am

Leaf sounds like it will be the difference for me - thanks for sharing!

~:
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2009-05-18, 5:58pm

I am late to this thread but I have done this several times on a mini cc using tanked oxygen!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-05-18, 6:23pm

Yep, you're probably working too hot, was my 1st thought too. If you use a more oxy flame you won't burn the rubino either and melt in slowly!

May the love of animals inspire you, teach you & heal you...
Old 2009-05-18, 6:37pm

Thank you both. That's the conclusion that I've come to also. Beads are in the kiln-I worked it with more oxy-hoping that I finally got it right.
Old 2009-05-18, 7:53pm
Lampworkaholic!

Wait, the more oxygen, the hotter the flame. I know that is counter-intuitive, you'd think the more fuel (propane) the hotter, but the opposite is true.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-05-20, 5:13am

My beads turned out--the key is more oxy, less propane. I had to adjust my regulator-it was a little off in the settings. Thanks for the input.
Old 2009-05-21, 7:37pm
Cali4nia baby

Well - where are the pics then ? Show em :+)
Old 2009-05-22, 8:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Wait, the more oxygen, the hotter the flame. I know that is counter-intuitive, you'd think the more fuel (propane) the hotter, but the opposite is true.

Actually, yes and no. Once you get past a neutral flame, more oxygen cools it down. Your neutral flame is your hottest; the addition of oxygen increases the temperature only to that point.

http://www.northstarglass.com/newsletters/6.pdf
Old 2009-05-22, 6:57pm

Thanks for the link, Karin; that was interesting information.

Mimi
Old 2009-06-08, 3:20am

just took a class with michael barley. he does work in an oxygenated flame and he finds that cobalt is not very reactive. he makes a clear base bead and covers with white for some of his beads then rolls in silver leaf. he told us just to play with the different colors and see what they do with the silver leaf applied. several of my first beads were dark because i had too much propane, he likes to hear the oxygen hissing. when applying black then silver leaf he will then reduce the black as it goes to a lovely blue kind of like kronos.