Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-02, 6:52pm
Striking-impared...

Default What's the Easiest Silver Glass to Strike?

I will admit, I am striking-challeneged when it comes to the silver glasses. I can reduce quite easily, but strike? I tend to get mud. To give you an example of the depth of my imparement, I have a really hard time with plain 'ol raku!

So my question, especially for ya'll on concentrators like me -- what do you find to be the easiest glass to strike? My tries on DaVinci2 and VanGogh were pathetic, so I ended up selling the glass before I ruined it all.

I want to try a striking glass again, but I also want to give myself the best chance for success (defined as getting a color other than black, brown or mud to come out of the kiln). From reading the forums, it seems like some glasses are a bit easier to get decent color than others.

I run a bobcat on 2 concentrators, so I don't have a super-strong oxydizing flame. And onviously, the glass needs to be a readily-available color since I have to buy some, LOL!

Anyway, I appreciate you folks taking your time to put in your faves for easy (or at least relatively easy) striking.

And before I leave, here's a funny story. Back in 2007, I bought some experimental DH glass. I thought it was a striking color, so off and on since 2007, I have tried to strike the darned glass. Always got nada.

Today, I was looking in the SE5 thread on the Patio and what did I see? That my experimental glass is actually a lustre! No wonder why I have never been able to strike it....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-02, 6:58pm
Tweedle Dumb

i can get all of the DH strikers to work. give them a shot. if i can do it you certainly can. my fav is tn2.1

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2009-07-02, 6:59pm
da General

I would recommend Terranova 2.1.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-07-02, 6:59pm
da General

Jamie Lynne - you and I posted at the same time recommending the same glass! lol!

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-07-02, 7:06pm
Striking-impared...

Thanks Hayley and Jamie Lynne.

So far, Terranova 2.1 is leading the pack. Any others to recommend?

Old 2009-07-02, 7:25pm
da General

Gail - are you interested in using the striking glass on the surface or encased?

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-07-02, 7:31pm
Striking-impared...

Whatever is easiest?

Seriously, at first I thought to do it un-encased, but if encasing makes it easier to get some color, even if it's more pastel, I'm all for that.

Old 2009-07-02, 7:34pm
Sorry for party rockin'

I was also going to suggest Terranova2 . . . . I don't have the 2.1 version, but I think they'd act the same, but possibly yield different colors.
Terranova2 is my favorite striking glass by far, I love it!!

Old 2009-07-03, 9:12am

I think you will have success with any of the transparent amber-purple glasses. That includes much of Brad's StrinkingColor line, TAG's Tibet & Transcendental, along with some of the DH and Precision colors (if I was sure of the names I would list them.) Most of the transparent ones don't require an initial round of deep heat to activate them.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-07-03, 9:29am
da General

Interestingly I find that the opposite is true for myself and a lot of my students - that the darker opaque striking silver glass tend to be easier to strike AND keep the colors, especially under encasement. StrikingColor's dark opaque ones such as A7 and Pele definitely hold the colors better than Brad's amber transparent ones.

|
|
|
|
Old 2009-07-03, 9:48am
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Double Helix has Terranova2 and Terranova 2.1 seconds for sale right now. $37.50 for 1/2 lb. Their seconds are comparable to most other manufacturers' firsts!

Kelly

PS They have Psyche seconds too! 1/2 lb. for $22.50!

Old 2009-07-03, 10:15am
Grateful

I too have striking impairment. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've read and re-read that tutorial on raku. I chill and heat and encase over and over and get mud-with an ocasional blue-ish streak. I've tried Terra and wasted almost a whole rod of the precious stuff, got TN2-also mud, can't get pandora to strike in my kiln even. I'm beginning to think my studio is a no strike zone. Thanks all for the tips and also for letting me know I'm not theonly one.

Old 2009-07-03, 10:22am
Storm Queen

I also vote for Terranova as being the easiest to strike. I'm having a deep love affair with it right now.

Old 2009-07-03, 10:32am
burnin' glass just becuz

i've only just started playing with some of my stock of silver glasses with varied amounts of success so far:
-triton rod - reduced easily to metallic. didn't try for any other colours yet
-elektra frit - super easy to get creamy blues. very pretty
-pschye frit - easy to strike to blue & purple. gives a nice organic look over opaques
-black nebula (stringer from frit) - no luck, turned beige. still pretty though due to the fuming around the stringer
-gaia frit - everyone says it's easy but my luck varies with this one. scorches easily, an effect which luckily i like
-kronos frit - my luck varies with this one as well. i've deliberately soaked it in a high oxy flame (once i gave up on striking to the intense blues) which made for some interesting creamy effects.

once i can figure out what i'm doing with the frit i'll move onto the rods... i think i need some Triton frit tho - that is one cool glass.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-07-03, 10:51am
Storm Queen

Evelyn, those are all reducing glasses. The OP wants to know about striking glass.

Old 2009-07-03, 11:08am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Evelyn, those are all reducing glasses. The OP wants to know about striking glass.

LOL, DUH!!!

as i said i'm a silver glass newb. maybe that's what i'm doing wrong? i thought i had to put them through a couple striking cycles first before reducing. anyhoo, back to the original question...

Old 2009-07-03, 11:42am
Tacki

TerraNova 2 was the easiest to strike when I first started out.
Old 2009-07-03, 12:43pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
maybe that's what i'm doing wrong? i thought i had to put them through a couple striking cycles first before reducing.
You don't have to do that at all. Most reduction glasses just require a quick roll in a reduction flame and that's it. Some I have to get more aggressive with and stick them right in the cones but then I'm only on a minor.

Old 2009-07-03, 1:08pm

i was told to get a pretty oxidizing flame to strike- more so that i realized and that seemed to help.
Old 2009-07-03, 1:11pm
birdergirl ~o~

I've had trouble with my transparent glass getting smokey when using a reduction flame, any suggestions? I wish I could get better results overall too. I hesitate to invest in more silver glass til I do. Thanks for helping!
Also hopefully not off topic, my raku gets this ugly nicotine looking singe on it that I can't burn off ?
What is it??

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~

Last edited by cadia; 2009-07-03 at 1:13pm. Reason: adddddddd
Old 2009-07-03, 2:20pm
Striking-impared...

Looks like the verdict is TN2.1, as far as easy striking goes.

I forgot that I had Green Dalai coming in an order (bought just 1 rod) that came in today. I got some pretty greens out of it (not exactly hard to do). Not sure if I got any of the turquoise-y blues -- have to wait until the beads come out of the kiln.

Yes, I saw that the DH site had the TN2.1 seconds on sale -- looks like I will have to go and scrounge up the $37.50.

You know what's so weird? When I did boro, I didn't have nearly the kind of striking difficulties I do now. I must somehow have been working the glass differently. Or boro is just a different animal altogether, LOL!

Old 2009-07-03, 6:38pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
You don't have to do that at all. Most reduction glasses just require a quick roll in a reduction flame and that's it. Some I have to get more aggressive with and stick them right in the cones but then I'm only on a minor.
only Triton has worked for me doing that. the others just sat there looking at me and didn't change at all. i've had to heat to red hot, let cool to watch the colours develop, repeat until i got the right intensity of blue (or green, purple or whatever) and THEN run through the reduction flame to get some colour. that's why i figured all these silver glasses had to be struck first before reducing. i'll try again this weekend to see... thx!

Old 2009-07-03, 8:56pm
Storm Queen

Triton is super easy to reduce, you really don't even need a reduction flame. Aurae is like Triton's sister so it's the same way, super easy. I'd say Gaia is the hardest one.