No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-10, 11:30am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Default Crackle affect of ivory

Can someone please tell me how to do this. I use to do these beads a while back and can't remember how.

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-10, 11:35am
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I pretty sure this was achieved with silver, but when I wrap the silver around the ivory I get an ugly color. So what am I doing wrong?

Ebay:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-10, 12:14pm

maybe your thinking about making silvered ivory stringers, then wrapping them around the ivory?

Kelly
Old 2008-07-10, 12:28pm
Peerless Thread Killer

This only works on dark ivory, but I get a gorgeous crackle effect when I heavily fume the bead with silver, hold it in a reduction flame, then go back to an oxygen-rich flame, rolling the bead in the flame until I see the crackle effect. It looks like pottery glaze! Is this what you mean?

Old 2008-07-11, 7:20am

You could cheat
I get a lot of my crackles with silver foil on dark ivory on nothing else - but I love the effect when I muddle in another organic color - honey crunch and the marbled avocado and opal yellow are my current favorites
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2008-07-11, 7:28am
birdergirl ~o~

Jessica,
you mean just laying pieces of the silver foil onto the dark ivory bead? Then heating in ?
Thanks !
ps ouch poor elbow !! heal up fast!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-07-11, 7:29am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Jessica,
you mean just laying pieces of the silver foil onto the dark ivory bead? Then heating in ?
Thanks !
ps ouch poor elbow !! heal up fast!
I do - let me find a couple samples and see if I can step through them
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Do you make purple hearts? Let me know in your order and I'll send you free purple glass!
Old 2008-07-11, 7:30am
Burning Fingers!

If you put on very fine "threads" of intense black over the dark ivory and cook the heck out of it, it will get a type of "crackle" effect. Is that what you mean?
I think I used both intense black and a bit of SIS on this bead.

/
/
/

Old 2008-07-11, 7:41am

This one has dark ivory with a strip of silver near the bottom and swipes of honey crunch in the middle - the crackle is often around the silver, not on, so I like to use flakes or stripes of silver in most cases

This one has a tad of honey crunch and silver all muddled in - when I say tad I mean like 5 mm of the rod.

more silver ratio gives less cracking in my opinion - example -

mixed with lots of opal yellow - dark ivory is only on the bottom
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2008-07-11, 7:42am

and thanks for the good wishes - I'm on the road to recovery
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2008-07-11, 7:47am
birdergirl ~o~

Jane I love that lentil!
Jessica,
So I'm thinking ~ have some pieces and strips of silver already cut, then take a (COOL) dark ivory stringer or rod , lick it (spits sticks best!) and pick up a piece of the silver on the rod then heat up and lay on the bead???

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Old 2008-07-11, 8:53am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
Jane I love that lentil!
Jessica,
So I'm thinking ~ have some pieces and strips of silver already cut, then take a (COOL) dark ivory stringer or rod , lick it (spits sticks best!) and pick up a piece of the silver on the rod then heat up and lay on the bead???
Here's my method of silver to a bead (not silvered stringer)

cut flakes or strip - I generally go for jagged, often tearing

lay strips on marver, flat

create bead, with ends done well - but not squished

warm bead, not molten - just warm

roll over silver

make entire bead molten and shape from there - the silver gets lots of heat with this

---
If I want actual silver color, I roll after the bead is completely shaped - but for these, I did not use that technique - and it does not lend itself to crackle that way
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2008-07-11, 4:11pm
just plain silly

Love that opal yellow one with all the color variation. How are you getting all that pinky orange from the yellow?

Suzanne
Old 2008-07-11, 5:00pm
birdergirl ~o~

Id' like to know too My OY often looks blah or burnt!
Thanks for the tips Jessica,
I've had some SL sitting here forever and havent touched it, this sounds like something I'd like to try

Old 2008-07-11, 8:25pm

the secret to that opal yellow - are you ready? It's layered thin over red-purple
voila!

It had a good blush as well - but I'm sure the bulk of what you are seeing is seep through of the red-purple - a trick I've used before for depth
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2008-07-11, 10:16pm
The Crazy One

You can also get a mellow crackle effect by burning the ivory. Or just get it uber hot and cool with a marver a few times.
Old 2008-07-12, 6:18am

I love those too loco - I tried to upload a no silver pic and kept running into trouble - so i decided to ignore it
:

--------------
Make Beads:

--------------

Old 2008-07-12, 8:16pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Thanks all for the great information. I will try all of these techniques. I think the one I did a while back was with SIS, but just forgot how I was putting it on for the crackling to happen. I think I'm losing my mind here (I guess I'm just getting old lol).

Ebay:
Old 2008-07-12, 8:49pm

I never knew how to get that crackle effect but I sure do like it! I'm going to try this too.
I got a really nice curdled effect like in Jessica's 2nd bead..... once. As much as I tried I could never reproduce it. Loco, Since I didn't use silver maybe you finally gave me the secret. Yeah!
Thanks!

Old 2008-07-13, 4:53am
FatCat Mama

I use a little bit of silver glass to get the effect. This has a stripe of Terra over Effetre Dk Ivory

Teri P

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2008-07-15, 11:53pm
Old Time Bead Maker

Default Crackle Effect

I use clear frit over my beads after applying silver foil and "cooking" it in.
Just heat the bead and roll into the clear frit once or twice, cooking each layer in. You will get a very fine crackle/veining look.

Sue

This us as close to a web site as I want to get at the moment...
Old 2008-07-16, 3:57pm

I don't know how, but I forgot how much I liked Organics until this thread. They used to be my favorites for "just playing around". These are some great how to tips. The pictures you all posted are really helpful too.

And I love those darn cats! Someday I'm going to get me one.

Old 2008-07-20, 5:33pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I love playing with ivory! This is light ivory with a few dots of SIS that I worked in and swirled.

Old 2008-07-22, 3:30pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
I love playing with ivory! This is light ivory with a few dots of SIS that I worked in and swirled.

Very Nice! Thanks for the picture.

Old 2008-07-23, 12:35pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Here's another. This one has no silver on it at all. The crackle effect is from the silvered glass I used on it. The silver in the glass fumes the ivory underneath.

Old 2008-07-23, 1:32pm
On a good hair day.

Here is a set I did with Triton and ivory. The silver glasses make that cool crackle effect.

Patricia
Attached Images

Old 2008-07-28, 4:54am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
Here's another. This one has no silver on it at all. The crackle effect is from the silvered glass I used on it. The silver in the glass fumes the ivory underneath.

Wow, thanks for sharing that picture and the suggestion.
So just by using the silvered glass and random placement you were able to cause that overall crackle effect?

Since I only have a few rods of Olympia Rain could I ask what kind of silver glass did you use? I would like to get more but I am not "on the curve" on what is out there.

Also, was it dark ivory??

Great bead!

Old 2008-07-29, 2:06pm

Lots of silvered glasses enhance the natural 'curdling' effect of dark ivory. This is TAG Juno on dark ivory, for example.
~Jenny @ TAG

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2008-08-07, 4:06pm

Where do you start when you have had to take a 6-8 week break from torching? Now that the heat wave has finally broken I couldn't figure out what to make. The rhythm was broken. Then I remembered this thread.
Organics are a great way to get back into the groove of glass. Thanks again everyone for the tips and pics! And to Killerbeads for having a senior moment.

Old 2008-08-08, 2:58am

I have been using the silver cinnamon to try to get crackles, and I do get some, but the SC sinks into the ivory quite a bit. Sometimes it just disapears almost completely. I heat it a lot, I thought it would get the silver flowing and mixing. It that wrong? How do I get it to stay on the surface and still get crakles?
Lene
~