Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-05-06, 4:56pm
Bad Cat Glass

Default What to do with 16 mm rods

So I bought some large rods that were on sale, thinking that I could just pull them down and use them. They're between 14 and 16 mm so pretty big compared to what I'm used to using. The question is what is the best way to do get them to a more manageable size? I tried one this afternoon, and although I thought I was warming it very gradually, it shattered and sent glass all over the place. Anyone have any suggestion, tips, or observations? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 2014-05-06, 6:45pm

I use the larger size rods all the time but I have not tried to pull them to a smaller size. One thing that will help as far as the "shattering" problem is to first run the rods through a complete cycle in your kiln. This will help release the internal stresses in the rod. A word of warning though , if these rods you have are white- all bets are off , white loves to explode in the larger size rods. Good luck !
Old 2014-05-06, 8:22pm
I'm meeeeelting

Give them a good soak in the kiln (I'd do it at boro temp or even a little higher), punty them while hot and then heat them to pulling temp in the flame.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-05-07, 5:46am

Pre-heating is about the only way to make it work. About 1K degrees for about 20 minutes should do the job.

Robert
Old 2014-05-07, 11:09am
Bad Cat Glass

Thanks everyone. I never knew this! I'm so happy that there's a good chance I can avoid making a very expensive pile of frit, not to mention a chance to avoid sending hot glass flying all over the place.
Old 2014-05-08, 6:22am

if it's clear, warm up slow in kiln, remove with hot boro punty, skin/peel it and then pull it down to usable size. when cool, wrap it in cloth or some such to keep it pristine.

i had a couple schott pucks left, so i peeled one and pulled it into rod, then put it with the rest of my 104 in a jar. even a day or two later, it got all scratched and scummy again. so whenever i peel clear for future use, wrap it up until you need it
Old 2014-05-13, 11:30am

Send it to me, ill think of something to do with it Hope you work it out Flamin.