Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-01-04, 6:21pm

Default reheating a marble

ok so last night I made a marble that measures 1.75" which is the biggest one I have attempted (I got a Lynx for xmas and wanted to try and push it) Unfortunatly I ran out of time toward the end and rushed it. I missed one little dimple right on the lense . So my question is this, most of the time when I want to rework something I just put it in the kiln, turn it on and let it ramp up, Is this ok with an object this size or should I set it up to ramp up a little slower?

By the way mad props to you guys that make marbles that large all the time, that sucker was getting heavy
Old 2011-01-04, 6:33pm

Ramp it up slower. I usually ramp it up over a couple hours., never had an issue. I then let it soak once it has reached the temp before I work it.
You should have no problem,
good luck!!

Ashlea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-04, 7:22pm

ok Thanks Ashlea
Old 2011-01-04, 10:04pm
Formerly Bakerman44

can't say i've ever tried something that big. but i'd say better safe than sorry. my vote is slow ramp...maybe 500/hr or so

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-04, 10:43pm

Thanks Justin that sounds like a good rate..

here is the marble in question lol

Old 2011-01-05, 5:09am
boro color bender

Depending on how deep the divet, you can some times position the piece in the kiln so that you don't have to take it out... you'll also need to have enough hose to reach the kiln with your torch... In kiln repairs or touch ups are super easy... just bring it up to temp, open the door and torch that spot... if the piece needs to be rotated while you work the spot, this won't work... just throwing it out there, because some day it'll come in handy.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2011-01-05, 10:07am
Formerly Bakerman44

that's actually a sweet marble! i have one similar to it with a slight divot on the lens but not enough to bother me. haha. i must post a pic! coming soon.

Old 2011-01-05, 10:16am
Curmudgeon Engineering

Love that marble!
Old 2011-01-05, 10:17am
Formerly Bakerman44

this one is between 1.5" to 1.75" it's my convo piece at craft shows. people are just amazed with the hole in the middle.

Old 2011-01-05, 10:31am

Really cool marble!
Thanks for the tip Mr.Smiley, I haven't tried that yet.

Ashlea

Old 2011-01-05, 10:36am

Nice justin ! I was actually trying to make a double vortex (their is a tutorial on the melting pot) but I didn't get my constriction tight enough and then I had to condence the whole thing down because it was going to be a 3 incher (yikes) so that caused the constriction to become even larger, but I still like it

Brent, I have been thinking about what you said about using the torch in the kiln. I have a top loader and plenty of hose, but is the flame splash going to do some kind of damage to the kiln bricks? Maybe I just being paranoid...
Old 2011-01-05, 11:38am

I've made a marble like that once - I wrapped a 19mm clear rod in dicro and, then wrapped the dicro with purple luster it came out really nice. Kinda like a sparkly looking glass
Old 2011-01-05, 11:44am
Formerly Bakerman44

i made a doublevortex...i thought i was being original though..haha. no idea there was a tutorial out there. mine came out awful. im curious to know if the construction i used is the same.

as far as the one i posted. i put down color lines around the middle of a rod (maybe 12" long rod with handles ad just a couple inches of color). melt in. clear. melt in. twist. color. push the clear rod inwards to build up some lens and size.

Last edited by Cornbread; 2011-01-05 at 11:47am.
Old 2011-01-05, 11:57am
Formerly Bakerman44

the hideous double vortex. i wanted there to be a "dime sized" hole of clear through the middle..wound up with a pin hole. but it was one of the firsts i ever made. maybe #3. i was pushing my limits from the get go..haha.
Attached Images

Old 2011-01-05, 12:05pm

Thats a cool marble!

Here is a link to the tut
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30640
Old 2011-01-05, 12:16pm
Formerly Bakerman44

thanks for the link...that's pretty close to how i did it...i actually made my back to back cones first and then layed down color and twisted..filled in with black and got my double vortex.

Old 2011-01-06, 10:37am
Borovangelist

neat! I want to make one

|
|
Old 2011-01-06, 11:53am

I am happy to report that the patient made it through the procedure without any complications

I set the kiln to ramp up at 500 degree per hour and then let it soak for about a hour while I made a few other little things. I pulled it out of the kiln fire polished the lense and it came out all good this morning.

Thanks for the help
Old 2011-01-06, 1:54pm
ManBearPig

I've thrown all size marbles into a cold kiln and let them heat up full speed with no problem. The thing is that you want to leave them in to soak for a while before you work them. I usually let them soak for 1 hour per 1/2" diameter. Never had a problem.

Only time I haven't had luck is when there was an opal involved. About half the time the glass will crack around the opal if you reheat them.

Old 2011-01-06, 1:58pm
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Meader View Post
I am happy to report that the patient made it through the procedure without any complications

I set the kiln to ramp up at 500 degree per hour and then let it soak for about a hour while I made a few other little things. I pulled it out of the kiln fire polished the lense and it came out all good this morning.

Thanks for the help
How did you pull it out of the kiln? I've done seals with punties before, I've also done by best to position it carefully cold so I could grab it "correctly" and then used cloth wrapped tongs

|
|
Old 2011-01-06, 3:42pm

I have a pair of really thin tongs that I found at a thrift store, the tong part is about a 1/4 inch wide. They work really well for putting things in and taking things out of the kiln. So with my handy tongs (preheated) in one hand and my marble mold at the ready, I pull the marble out and set it in the mold. Then with the marble sitting in the mold I fire polished out the offending dimple.
Old 2011-01-06, 3:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I've thrown all size marbles into a cold kiln and let them heat up full speed with no problem. The thing is that you want to leave them in to soak for a while before you work them. I usually let them soak for 1 hour per 1/2" diameter. Never had a problem.

Only time I haven't had luck is when there was an opal involved. About half the time the glass will crack around the opal if you reheat them.
Thanks Cosmo that is good to know, especially since I see you make lots of larger marbles.

If I was to soak it for 1 hour per 1/2" then that would have been about 4 hours at annealling temp. All told the marble was in the kiln for about 3 hours from the time I turned on the kiln untill fire polishing. I guess that was enough. But then again I was only fire polishing and not really putting alot of heat back into much of the marble. Do you think that it would have cracked had I tried to do more or do you think the interior was hot enough? Should I have garaged it for longer? just askin
Old 2011-01-06, 5:04pm
Borovangelist

Nice...

I wrap tongs in this stuff: http://www.waleapparatus.com/catalog...showprevnext=1

I have to replace it once in a while, but it doesn't take much.

|
|
Old 2011-01-06, 5:34pm

The best way to re-heat and repair marbles is to make yourself a "kiln boat". Blow out some tube into a small cup with an opening about 2"+, flatten the bottom and then add a handle long enough to extend out of the kiln. It will look a bit like a glass ladle. You can then put the marble in the cup and take it in and out of the kiln without getting kiln dust on the marble.

JK

p.s. don't forget to name it.

Old 2011-01-06, 6:40pm
Borovangelist

LOL

|
|
Old 2011-01-06, 8:15pm

Cool idea, gonna have to try that out
Thanks

Ashlea

Old 2011-01-06, 10:13pm

John that is brilliant! I had the marble sitting in a stainless steel tray filled with salt that I keep in my kiln so that really hot round objects don't roll out. But I was cursing this setup as I was trying to brush salt off the bottom of a 1000 degree marble. I am going to make me a "kiln boat" so that won't be a issue in future projects. I made my family candle sticks for christmas, they each had multiple pieces that I was garaging in between steps. I had to punty up to each piece or pull out with my tongs and again fight the salt (and kiln dust) so a "kiln boat" would have solved several problems. Thanks

Ok so for a name hmm I will have to sleep on that one, any suggestions? anyone?
Old 2011-01-06, 10:38pm
AKA Annan Designs

I love LE! I want to thank everyone here for the helpful hints. I had some problems with my kiln getting too hot and leaving scars on marbles. I'm making a "kiln boat" tomorrow and I will fix those puppies.

Thanks again,
Peg
Old 2011-01-06, 10:51pm
just another glass addict

All kinds of great stuff in this thread. Thanks everyone!

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions."
-Earl Gray Stevens-

Old 2011-01-06, 11:01pm

I wish I could take credit for coming up with it but a guy named Trevor Applegate turned me onto it many years ago.

The marble will stick sometimes but that means your kiln is too hot.

JK