LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-01-09, 3:49pm

Default Straight sided lentil question

I'm thinking about buying a Zoozii 1 1/4 inch straight sided lentil but I wondering if I should try the slim version or the original, which is thicker.
Old 2012-01-09, 4:02pm
"Sinners have soul too"

1.25" is big... even too big for me and I don't make small beads.

I have the slim and the regular one of the smaller sizes and I like the regular size one better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-01-09, 4:43pm

I love my 1 1/4" straight sided lentil - but now I can't remember if I have the slim or the original. I'm thinking it may be the slim. It's my most popular focal size and shape. I also like the straight sided 1" lentil press they have too.

Here's a picture of a bead I made last year with the 1 1/4":
Attached Images

Handmade Murrini Chips, Glass Beads, & Lampwork Tutorials
Old 2012-01-09, 5:08pm

You might want to also check out the cattwalk "button" shapes. 8 prefer them, and like the fact that the bottom can be reversed to make it either flat or domed. For me, they are more veritable, and this is probably the lentil shape I use the most. I have them in every size, and would not give them up.
Old 2012-01-09, 7:07pm

Hi,

The 1 1/4 inch straight sided lentil is my favorite press! I like it because it allows for some thickness to the bead, and I like to incorporate some 3-D elements. It gives you room to work if you are doing a more complicated build up.

I own one of the slim SSL 1 1/4 inch versions, but I don't use it. The bead seems more like a thin coin to me. It is not suited to the beads I make. Having said that, some people like it because it lends itself to the type of beads they make. I suppose if you were making a jewelry piece to include several large lentil beads, the slim version would be nice so that the necklace did not become too heavy.

If you are interested in the slim version, let me know. I would be willing to sell you the one I have. I don't know what the used ones go for? Anybody know?

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2012-01-09, 7:17pm
grama punky - class junky

Zoozii's is great. I have the xl lentil...when it came I was unhappy with how 'fat' the beads were....Amy took it back and sent me a new one that is just right.

Old 2012-01-10, 12:47am
Mad about Glass

I love the slim ssl - my best selling size of bead or pendant.

[url]

Old 2012-01-10, 8:24am
Formerly FishBulb

I prefer the slim myself, but Jeannie (Nimbus) gave the best advice; consider your working style and choose from there.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-01-10, 8:55am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I have both. The original is thicker. I use the original when I want a world inside a bead effect. I choose the slim when I mainly want surface decoration.
Old 2012-01-10, 7:59pm

Agree with what others have said. It will depend on what kind of bead you will want to make with it.

I have the slim version of this and would also like the regular. The slim is great for doing more surface decoration and not a lot of interior and layering design. It makes a nice slim sleek shape. .... But that being said, I have managed to make some thicker beads on my slim, like the Chaos and Shipwreck beads. You just have to realize when you press that you can't press all the way if you want to use it for thicker beads than it was designed for. Just need to learn to press different when going thick on a slim press. Otherwise you end up with glass oozing out the sides and funky holes. But it is doable.

So of course the reality is you will probably want one of each.

Old 2012-01-11, 2:23pm

Thanks for everyone's help. I think I will start with a regular SSL from Zoozi but unfortunately the 1 1/4 inch is out of stock. I'm trying to get in touch with Amy to see when they will again be abailable