LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2013-05-28, 7:29am
Dix Harrison

Dawn:

I used Zephyr to encase. Gave Dalai Lama another whirl around the dance floor last night. Was really careful -- minimal gawking. Seems to be much better. I just unloaded the kiln. I have not had a chance to inspect new beads carefully, though. Will let you know if any cracks showed up this time.

Dix
Old 2013-05-28, 7:48am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansassky View Post
Dawn:

I used Zephyr to encase. Gave Dalai Lama another whirl around the dance floor last night. Was really careful -- minimal gawking. Seems to be much better. I just unloaded the kiln. I have not had a chance to inspect new beads carefully, though. Will let you know if any cracks showed up this time.

Dix
Looking back through my notes, it looks like I've used Aether for all my Dalai Lama beads. Aether is still my go-to glass. Also, all the beads in my notes were made before the Zephyr stinger was available. If you still have cracking, give Aether a try. And still be sure to put the bead in the kiln still glowing.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nortel Minor with one Concentrator
Old 2013-05-28, 9:03am

I have a couple I worked on this weekend. Even doing the large set in 2 different days I don't seem to get the same mop that you did.
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-28, 9:38am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I have a couple I worked on this weekend. Even doing the large set in 2 different days I don't seem to get the same mop that you did.
Both sets look awesome, Pat!

On the first set, did you use Clio or Kalypso? The pink side looks really dark, almost opaque. Very pretty though.

And the second set, they look like mine, but the dots are just a bit darker. I reduce these pretty good before covering the dots which I think makes them a little bit brighter green. And the frit looks fabulous too!

I'm so tickled to see your results!

Old 2013-05-28, 11:12am

Thanks Dawn, I let up a little on the reduction on the second day thinking I had overdone it. Yes it's Clio. Isn't there a lt and dk. I thought that too.
Old 2013-05-28, 11:28am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Thanks Dawn, I let up a little on the reduction on the second day thinking I had overdone it. Yes it's Clio. Isn't there a lt and dk. I thought that too.
I have both regular Clio and Clio Dark, and Double Helix just recently released an odd lot of Clio Light which I haven't tried yet. The set I made was with regular Clio. Yours have such a nice cherry color!

Old 2013-05-28, 1:47pm

You are so nice. I used the opaque rods. I went down and looked and the other is a very pale blue/clear rod. Let me know if you get to try the newest one.
Old 2013-05-28, 3:38pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
You are so nice. I used the opaque rods. I went down and looked and the other is a very pale blue/clear rod. Let me know if you get to try the newest one.
Ahhh, bet it was the Clio Dark. It has an opaque look to the outside of the rod with a cherry red center.

I just ordered a little bit of the Clio Light to try. It's on their Clearance page and I can never resist a sale!

Old 2013-05-28, 7:07pm
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Dawn, I could sit here all day looking at the pics in the tutorial, but I decided to give just a couple of beads a go yesterday really quickly just before I finished my session. I tried the mirrored blue which I am going to make into a pendant & this one. I have never managed to make a fire opal before, so I was absolutely ecstatic when I pulled this out of the kiln .

Old 2013-05-28, 7:12pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsD View Post
Dawn, I could sit here all day looking at the pics in the tutorial, but I decided to give just a couple of beads a go yesterday really quickly just before I finished my session. I tried the mirrored blue which I am going to make into a pendant & this one. I have never managed to make a fire opal before, so I was absolutely ecstatic when I pulled this out of the kiln .

Oh, Robyn! That's a beauty!!!

Old 2013-05-28, 8:21pm

Wow Dawn, I just got my tut and I love it. Thank you for doing this. I can't wait to start making the beads. Yahoo!
Old 2013-05-28, 8:23pm

Pat, your sets look fantastic.
Old 2013-05-28, 8:26pm

Jacqueline and Sheila. Your beads are beautiful (as usual). It's so nice to see the different twists on the same beads. You are all so creative and inspiring.
Old 2013-05-28, 8:28pm

Pat-your beads are gorgeous too. Don't know how I missed them on first look over. Thank you for sharing your work. I hope I have something worth posting manana.
Old 2013-05-28, 8:32pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by marla0416 View Post
Wow Dawn, I just got my tut and I love it. Thank you for doing this. I can't wait to start making the beads. Yahoo!
Thanks so much! I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

Old 2013-05-28, 10:13pm

The kiln fairies were having a really wild party, not only did they sprinkle fairy dust over the beads, but tripped over all the mandrels and I have no idea what's what other than a group of Striking Color experiments!

Striking Color beads on right, they're a bit more colourful in real life.

Thanks heaps Dawn!! My previous attempts (and there have been many, many of them) were very dismal compared to what came out of the kiln yesterday. More experimenting and getting to know my glass tomorrow
Attached Images

Old 2013-05-29, 12:15am
Mmmmm....Raku

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallerygal View Post
The kiln fairies were having a really wild party, not only did they sprinkle fairy dust over the beads, but tripped over all the mandrels and I have no idea what's what other than a group of Striking Color experiments!

Striking Color beads on right, they're a bit more colourful in real life.

Thanks heaps Dawn!! My previous attempts (and there have been many, many of them) were very dismal compared to what came out of the kiln yesterday. More experimenting and getting to know my glass tomorrow
How exciting! More beautiful beads!
Thanks so much for sharing your results with us!
I'm so glad you're enjoying the tutorial.

Old 2013-05-29, 12:23am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Marianne, those are gorgeous!

Dawn, you aren't, by any chance, going to the Gathering, are you?

Old 2013-05-29, 1:36am

Thanks Robyn, I have a long way to go however I'm very happy with what Dawn helped me achieve!
Old 2013-05-29, 6:04am

Thankyou Marla. You are going to have fun!
Old 2013-05-29, 2:19pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Unhappy

I just wanted to let you guys know that my computer's hard drive crashed this morning and I've lost EVERYTHING!!! Five months out of warranty. I'm absolutely sick to my stomach! I haven't backed up my files in well over a year.

You can still purchase my tutorial through my Etsy shop as it's available for instant download from Etsy, but if you need to contact me, please do so through facebook or the Etsy messaging system (Convo) or through here. (I have a thread in the Tutorial section.) I'll be checking in occasionally using hubby's laptop.

Hopefully I'll be back up and running in about a week. Now I'm going to go finish crying!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that at least my photos and documents can be saved off the crashed drive.

Old 2013-05-29, 11:54pm

Dawn, I'm so sorry this happened to you. I too had my computer crash with no backup. Needless to say I have a computer that backs everything up on schedule and I'm using Amazon's Cloud for all my downloads so I can access them from anywhere. Laptops have come down in price quite a bit since my computer dove. I love my cheap new laptop (almost one year now). I'm sure it will work out for you.
Old 2013-05-30, 4:33am

What an amazing tutorial! I haven't had the chance to torch yet (silly full time job!) but am most looking forward to this evening! I especially like the way the way the notes are written with each pic...clear and not too wordy. Thank you also for sharing the awesome tips throughout. I have about a half pound of Raku that I got from Arrow Springs a few years back, so I don't know if it is 96 or 104, but this has inspired me to get my hands on some of the 96!

Beaded Chic

Old 2013-05-30, 6:19am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Marianne, I just realised you are a fellow Aussie. Where are you from?

Dawn, oh no, that sucks bigtime, I really hope you can salvage something from it, they say that most of the time they can save stuff, fingers crossed that that is the case for you.

Old 2013-05-30, 3:31pm

Marianne-gorgeous beads.
I started in middle of tut with raku. I experimented by reducing one of the beads which turned quite silver. I have a lot of health issues that prevent me from spending a great deal of time on the torch. I'm also an advanced newbie struggling with consistency in my beads. I had a ton of fun making these beads. Will be working more today. My encasing needs a lot of work.

Anyway, here are my firsts.

Old 2013-05-30, 3:33pm

Oops--wrong picture.

Old 2013-05-30, 5:56pm
Mmmmm....Raku

Great beads Marla! I even like the reduced Raku bead. Raku is actually a reducing and striking glass, but when I reduce Raku, it usually looks like metallic mud...LOL! Your bead is super cute, and your threading is very nice! Great job!

So glad you guys are enjoying the tutorial!

Old 2013-05-31, 10:46am

Yeah good job especially on the threading. That isn't all that easy for a newb.
Old 2013-06-01, 4:10am

Robyn - I just saw your post, don't know how I missed it as I've subscribed to this thread. I'm in Camira, 1/2 way between Brisbane and Ipswich. Where are you? Brisbane, Sunshine Coast gives you plenty of scope

I'm enjoying seeing everyone's beads, Dawn I think it's testimony to what a great tut you wrote as there are so many of us willing to try out your suggestions & post the results!
Old 2013-06-01, 7:03am

Thanks for the kudos. It wasn't my first attempt with the threading. When Dawn's video first came out I tried it and pulled my hair out. Must have watched that video a dozen times. It was so helpful. Thank you Dawn for your support. Going to work with DH today. Yea! I'm having so much fun with this tut.