Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2010-05-14, 9:25pm
Glass my new Obsession

Default Question about Cricket torch

I get to order a cricket YAY.I am getting a 39
Extreme Oxygen "Oxygen Concentrator EX-10 Series" oxycon my question is what hoses do I need to buy for the propane and the oxygen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-05-14, 9:53pm
Glass my new Obsession

What hoses and fittings I should say

Old 2010-05-14, 10:12pm

You need a Type-T hose, with threaded 'B' fittings on one end, and cut ends on the other.

The length of the hose is up to you ... as long as it is long enough to put your propane tank outside

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-05-15, 1:33am
Alaska Boro

Using a Cricket and it runs well with one 5 LPM machine. With two 5 LPM machines even better. The "T" type hose is needed for the propane side. The standard oxygen/acetylene hose,on the acetylene side, will deteriorate with propane. A good source would be most any welding supply shop.

Most likely, if buying a pre cut length of hose, the hose will come with 'B' fittings on both ends. Just cut of the fitting on one end and slide the hose on to the barbed torch connectors. Then use a pair of stainless hose clamps to secure.

Have fun with the Cricket. It works well even for boro.
Old 2010-05-16, 12:52pm
Glass my new Obsession

do I need a flashback arrestor for both the propane and oxycon lines?

Old 2010-05-16, 1:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYBUNNY72_99 View Post
do I need a flashback arrestor for both the propane and oxycon lines?
If you were using household pressure Natural Gas, flashback arrestors often have problems with the very low pressure. But, you're running propane, so this isn't an issue.

While there are some that say that a flashback arrestor is not *needed* with an oxycon, it it won't hurt anything either.

So yes, to be as safe as possible, you'd want both a gas flashback arrestor and an oxygen flashback arrestor.

When you get your arrestors, pay attention to where they are designed to mount. Flashback arrestors are designed to allow the gas/oxygen to flow only one way. They often have one male thread, and one female thread. This usually dictates where they are mounted: on the torch, or on the regulator.

If you prefer to mount your arrestors at the torch, and can only find ones that are made to mount at the regulator, you can use male-to-male or female-to-female thread adapters to put the arrestor where you want.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978

Last edited by ArtcoInc; 2010-05-16 at 1:05pm. Reason: added info about where to mount the arrestors
Old 2010-05-16, 1:15pm
Glass my new Obsession

Thanks for the info

Old 2010-05-18, 9:25am
Glass my new Obsession

OK Flame Tree Glass was FAST! I got my Cricket today!Can't wait to get my other supplies and fire this baby up!

Old 2010-05-27, 3:24pm
Glass my new Obsession

All my parts are in Just have to go swap my propane tank for a full one.Hope I don't blow myself up!

Old 2010-05-29, 1:25pm

flashbacks will make back pressure on your oxy. cons. so they won't work as well.
Also flashbacks are never needed with oxy. unless it is mixed with fule inside the tank,so never.
G.
Old 2010-06-07, 6:30pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.L.McBead View Post
flashbacks will make back pressure on your oxy. cons. so they won't work as well.
Also flashbacks are never needed with oxy. unless it is mixed with fule inside the tank,so never.
G.
I am looking to upgrade from a Hothead to a Cricket I think, with an oxy concentrator. I am totally ignorant on it all.

What size oxy con do I need for the Cricket? I am looking for a used one, so what brand/models are best? How old and what price range?

Can you tell me - what is the list of items I need to be functional and safe?

Please advise me.
Old 2010-06-09, 11:47am
Glass my new Obsession

39 Extreme Oxygen "Oxygen Concentrator EX-10 Series is what I have.I got it from Flame Kissed Glass.
I still haven't lit my torch though cuz I am skeered lol.

Old 2010-06-09, 4:26pm

I just got mine in the mail a couple of days ago (the cricket). I am hooking it up tomorrow. I am skeered too lol but I am going to do it anyway. If you all here a loud boom coming from the direction of Ohio, that was me! lol.

Old 2010-06-12, 10:06am
Pyro Tyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONEYBUNNY72_99 View Post
39 Extreme Oxygen "Oxygen Concentrator EX-10 Series is what I have.I got it from Flame Kissed Glass.
I still haven't lit my torch though cuz I am skeered lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
I just got mine in the mail a couple of days ago (the cricket). I am hooking it up tomorrow. I am skeered too lol but I am going to do it anyway. If you all here a loud boom coming from the direction of Ohio, that was me! lol.
Sooooo???? Are they on?!!??! Enquiring minds want to know!

- Jill
I've got to get mine
up and running!

Old 2010-06-14, 7:48pm
Glass my new Obsession

lighting here up tomorrow.I waited and took a class first

Old 2010-06-15, 9:23am
Glass my new Obsession

I did it!! Man is she QUIET!! I am gonna love this

Old 2010-06-15, 9:23am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

congrats!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-15, 9:31am
Glass my new Obsession

Thanks! It's gonna take me a while to get used to how quiet she is after being on the HH for so long

Old 2010-06-15, 11:17am
Glass my new Obsession

WOW soft glass melts fast on the cricket! I am gonna have to relearn heat control for sure!

Old 2010-06-15, 11:17am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

yeah, at first it's like trying to keep honey on a stick.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-15, 12:25pm

LOL! I love it. When I first changed from the Hot Head to my Bobcat, I had to relearn everything. But I could listen to music while I relearned!
Old 2010-06-15, 1:44pm

Mine is up and running too. I totally love it and am so excited to be able to actually HEAR the radio or a cd! And yes it melts that soft glass pretty fast lol. I haven't burnt anything but was having some issues with round, it was getting hot so fast and drippy glass doesn't want to be round. I would blink and the bead was sagging lol. Its better now, though, I think I am getting the hang of it.

Old 2010-06-16, 11:42am
Glass my new Obsession

took me a little bit to get the flame how I want it.I have better luck keeping the boro under control than I do soft glass.Gonna keep at it though.I did find out I can't run the washer,dryer, kiln and oxycon at same time LOL.I tripped the breaker. Hubby is gonna install an outlet just for the kiln and oxycon

Old 2010-07-25, 11:23am
Glass my new Obsession

My cricket keeps going out when I turn on the oxy.What could be causing this?

Old 2010-07-25, 3:02pm
Alaska Boro

What is the pressure of the oxygen going into the torch. The same for the propane.
Old 2010-07-25, 5:34pm

Your concentrator could have really low purity. Try waiting for 10 or 15 minutes after you turn on your concentrator.

Old 2010-07-25, 10:14pm
Glass my new Obsession

Oxy con is a 10 LPM and propane is set at 5 I believe.It worked fine until today

Old 2010-07-26, 2:50am
Alaska Boro

The output from the concentrator should be in the range of 5 to 10 psi. Your propane at 5 psi is fine along with the oxygen.

If you have a second concentrator use it as a test. But most likely you have one unit.

The other possibility is that the oxygen value is not working correctly. Only turn on the oxygen and feel if the flow is changing as you vary the position of the value. Also take a note of the flow meter as it should vary from near 10 LPM to close to zero when the value is just about off. Normal in use LPM is most likely in the range of 3 to 8. i.e. your purity will be higher with lower LPM rates.

On the Cricket here I first turn the oxygen value full on and let the concentrator run for 10 minutes. Then turn off the oxygen valve and turn on the propane for a smokey flame. Then back on with the oxygen usually full on. The oxygen is off for just a few seconds, time enough to light the flame. Running LPM is 3 to 3.5.

Try a spare torch if one is available as another suggestion. And if the flame does not look correct, then it could be an issue with, as stated above, oxygen purity. However, many units will alarm if the purity goes too low.
Old 2010-07-26, 10:35am
Glass my new Obsession

Running the concentrator for 10 min before lighting the torch seems to have fixed the problem.Thanks for the help guys!

Old 2010-07-26, 11:28am

That happens with me too. Sorry I didn't see this thread. I have to turn on the oxycon and turn the knob on the torch on as well. Then a few minutes later, I'm good to go. If I'm in a rush and sit down at the torch and then turn it on then I light it, and out it goes. It's just the oxygen needs to build up first.
Glad your having fun with the torch and oxycon~
I've been considering the cricket but am still trying to decide what to do.