Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-06-29, 7:50pm
Expert Thread Strangler

Default El Cheapo FBA's??

OK I am FINALLY getting ready to get my Cricket up and running. It's only been a year and some odd months...

All I have left to get is the propane regulator and FBA. I went to the Arrow Springs website and now I'm all confused as to whether I should get the USA made FBA or if the less expensive import one would be sufficient. It's half the price - I'm not employed at the moment so the savings is attractive but if it's a big enough compromise in quality and safety based on your experiences I'll spring for the USA one. Thoughts? Experiences?

I have already surmised that the economy adjustable propane regulator would be ok for my Cricket as opposed to the medium or HD models (please correct me if I'm misguided in that thinking)

I have a 5 lpm oxycon, the T hoses and connectors, BBQ propane tank. I think that I'm just about there but of course I'm a little bit skeered to get it up and going . Oh and I do have the Kerwin book and will read it over and over again...and maybe get Kelly down off the mountain to help me with my initial set up, LOL.

Thanks!!
Old 2010-06-29, 8:10pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

Yay!! You're almost ready!! I'll come over anytime after work, just ask!!

I can't give you advice on which FBA to buy though. I'm sure if you're buying from AS, they are only going to carry the FBA's and regulators that are suitable for glass work, regardless of their origin. Have you gone down to Aeris/Wine Country Gases on Pet Blvd. No? It might be worth it to ask if they have anything used.

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-29, 8:18pm
Expert Thread Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasshouse View Post
Have you gone down to Aeris/Wine Country Gases on Pet Blvd. No? It might be worth it to ask if they have anything used.

Kelly
I was just there this afternoon, he doesn't have any of that stuff...so I figured I'd be OK with AS since they sell specifically for glass work. I'll let you know when I'm ready so you can hep me Rhonda!
Old 2010-06-30, 5:21am
Gentleman of Leisure

Whats wrong with supporting a Made in USA business.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-06-30, 7:33am
Expert Thread Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Whats wrong with supporting a Made in USA business.....

Dale
I am currently unemployed. Considering the other is half the price, that's almost my PG&E bill for one month so it was a matter of $ at this point. If I sell a metric buttload of soap at the First Friday this week then I'll spring for the USA one which would have been my first choice anyway.
Old 2010-07-01, 4:13am

I absolutely respect your financial challenges, but I'm not certain that flashback arrestors are the best place to cut corners. You get what you pay for - I've seen the cheapo FBAs, and I personally wouldn't buy them. Who knows if they were made to necessary quality standards and will work as they need to work??? I've had a flashback, and my high quality, made-in-the-USA FBAs protected me from what might have been a very unpleasant, possibly dangerous event. I hate to think what might have happened if I'd bought the cheap knock-offs and they malfunctioned because they weren't made well.....

I'm very glad to know you want to get FBAs - wise - but I would encourage economizing elsewhere so that you get the best protection you can.

Linda
Old 2010-07-01, 7:37am
Expert Thread Strangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
I've seen the cheapo FBAs, and I personally wouldn't buy them.
Thanks Linda, this was precisely the kind of information I was looking for when I posted. Not having actually looked at the parts in hand I just didn't know what to expect. I totally agree with what you've stated and will spring for the better FBA.

Barb

ps - Kelly, shooting for some time next week if your evening calendar is open!!!
Old 2010-07-14, 8:36pm
Pyro Tyro

So is your Cricket set up yet, Barb?????

I am in exactly the same position... got my Cricket about 18 months ago. Today I picked up hoses and got my propane tank filled... but alas, no regulator yet

Hope you're melting away

- Jill

Old 2010-07-14, 9:30pm
Expert Thread Strangler

I'm SO glad to hear I'm not the only foot dragger with a Cricket!!

My FBA arrived today but AS was out of the regulator I wanted so I am going to try locally as suggested by the guy at the shop where I buy my propane.

I'm melting but still on the HH for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitreousTyro View Post
So is your Cricket set up yet, Barb?????

I am in exactly the same position... got my Cricket about 18 months ago. Today I picked up hoses and got my propane tank filled... but alas, no regulator yet

Hope you're melting away

- Jill
Old 2010-07-15, 8:04am
Pyro Tyro

I hooked my HH up a few weeks, when I was feeling desperate to play... I was even more desperate after playing and failing at the 2 things I tried. I was too frustrated!

Keep us posted

Your friend in feet dragging...
- Jill