No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-06-08, 12:34pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Default Helios/general shine question

I am having an issue with reduction and I have no idea what is happening so I thought I would ask you all and tap into your collective knowledge to see if someone out there has a solution or suggestion of something to try.

Ok, I love Helios. Great shine, love it. Goes into the kiln super shiny with a mirror-like finish. Comes out...eh, who knows? Sometimes it's the same as when it went in, sometimes it's splotchy, sometimes it is completely without the mirror finish. I'm stumped. Is my kiln too hot? Is my kiln gobblin evil? Do I have shine-eating moths?

Here's a photo of some spacers that were all the same going into the kiln. They are Helios over cobalt blue transparent, btw.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

*f

Old 2012-06-08, 1:02pm
Lampworkaholic!

The Helios is restriking in your kiln, partially at least, which may be related to how close the beads are to your kiln's heating elements. Try a couple of tablespoons of activated charcoal, the kind used in fish tanks, to keep your kiln atmosphere more reduction friendly. Or encase your Helios like I do.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-08, 1:17pm
Storm Queen

I've had that happen with reduction glass too. I had a Sea Pod that I used raised dots of Triton for the accent dots and reduced them to a pretty shine and popped it in the kiln. Pulled it out the next day and one dot had the reduction burned off. I slowly ramped the kiln up, burned off all of the reduction on all of the dots and reduced them all again, popped it in the kiln. Pulled it out the next day and the same damn thing. I went through the motions one last time and it happened again. Aurae will do that too to me. I had a whole set of beads with raised stringer work of reduced Aurae all burn off in the kiln. I seem to have better luck when I have the kiln down at 900 degrees.

<Helios isn't a striking glass>

Old 2012-06-08, 1:50pm
Lampworkaholic!

I know Helios isn't a striking glass, I use it a lot, it is my favorite reduction color after Clio, but any reduction can be lost by striking/restriking the reduced glass.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-06-08, 1:56pm
Storm Queen

Ok.

Old 2012-06-08, 3:04pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Ok, so, it's a finger's crossed sort of situation. I'll give the charcoal a try, too. Thank you!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2012-06-09, 8:51am
Lover of Life

The charcoal in the kiln has really helped all my reduction glass coming out the same as it went in.

"Your dreams are waiting for you to come true."
Old 2012-06-09, 7:30pm

I was wondering what do you do with the activated charcoal and where do you buy it.
Old 2012-06-09, 7:36pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbisker View Post
I was wondering what do you do with the activated charcoal and where do you buy it.
I buy it at Petsmart and I put it in my kiln in a stainless steel coffee measuring spoon with a flat bottom. You could also use a pyrex custard cup.

Old 2012-06-09, 8:14pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
Ok, so, it's a finger's crossed sort of situation. I'll give the charcoal a try, too. Thank you!
I'd say lower your kiln temp. At 900 degrees I never have an issue. These are Helios...

Old 2012-06-09, 8:23pm
Wonder-wench

gorgeous golden glow!

Old 2012-06-09, 8:29pm
Tweedle Dumb

Amy, is that the light bouncing off of them or are the striped with something? I kinda want you to say you striped it with something because those lines look really cool.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2012-06-09, 8:42pm
Storm Queen

That's just the light. I had a hell of a time photographing them. I wanted them to look exactly like they did in person and I tried everything. Finally I leaned over them blocking the direct overhead lighting and got that shot. That's just how they really look...a rich yellow gold.

Old 2012-06-09, 9:28pm

I have been having the troubles of the "Disappearing Reduction" as well!
Never thought it could be something so easy to fix.
Which is better, to lower my kiln temp, or add charcoal?
Also, I usually have my kiln around 940, will the beads be annealed correctly if I lower the temp to 900? Is that OK for all my beads (I use 104 coe glass) or should I just run that cycle when I'm working with reduction colors?
I also wanted to say how much I've learned just reading this forum, and that I appreciate the gracious sharing of information! Many thanks to you all!
Old 2012-06-09, 9:45pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I kind of like the way the finishes are mixed up...it goes with the other beads

Old 2012-06-10, 8:03am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Actually, I think Helios is a striking glass? It's been awhile but I followed the Larry Scott rule, put dots on then let cool a few seconds, do the color strike and then the reduction. The charcoal is a great idea, too.
Old 2012-06-10, 8:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribeads View Post
I am having an issue with reduction and I have no idea what is happening so I thought I would ask you all and tap into your collective knowledge to see if someone out there has a solution or suggestion of something to try.

Ok, I love Helios. Great shine, love it. Goes into the kiln super shiny with a mirror-like finish. Comes out...eh, who knows? Sometimes it's the same as when it went in, sometimes it's splotchy, sometimes it is completely without the mirror finish. I'm stumped. Is my kiln too hot? Is my kiln gobblin evil? Do I have shine-eating moths?

Here's a photo of some spacers that were all the same going into the kiln. They are Helios over cobalt blue transparent, btw.
I personally like the gold mirror finish on the bottom right!
You can't go wrong with what Elizabeth and Amber have said! I never thought activated charcoal could help hold the reduction-thanks for that tip

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-06-10, 8:29am
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Actually, I think Helios is a striking glass? It's been awhile but I followed the Larry Scott rule, put dots on then let cool a few seconds, do the color strike and then the reduction. The charcoal is a great idea, too.
No, it's really a reduction glass. For reals.

Old 2012-06-10, 11:36am

Renee and I were just discussing reduction surfaces in her class. I'm not sure if this will help or not, but.....

Sometimes a reduction finish will either rub off or disappear easily if the reduction is just more on the "surface". This can happen when you are reducing when the bead is very cool.

Try heating up your bead so you have a nice even orange glow, then reduce it while it is just barely glowing orange. When I was playing around with Helios, this technique put a beautiful reduction on it. My belief is that reducing while the bead is uniformly warmed puts a deeper, lasting reduction on it.

Jeannie

Be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. In the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. (Max Ehrmann)
Old 2012-06-10, 2:38pm
da General

Try lowering your annealing temperature and garaging 20 degrees lower than your annealing temp. Sorry can't go into more details right now... Traveling and hate typing on my iPhone.

|
|
|
|