Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-10-25, 10:15am

Default Help needed with Poppy

All I can get out of the new vetro Poppy is orange. Can't get the pretty peachy color at all. I tried striking it to brown instead of gray - it was a redish brown - and still got orange when it came out of the kiln. Any suggestions? Does it need to be worked cooler maybe?
Old 2007-10-25, 12:51pm
make beads not war

Depends where you got it...

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=32
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=72
Old 2007-10-25, 3:52pm

I have the mixed up poppy. I also have the orange (I think). I'm still not having a lot of luck even when I use the orange. It is closer, but not what I thought it would be.
Old 2007-10-25, 4:03pm
Just me

Melissa what is the difference in the look of the rods you got?
I got ahold of some rods from two different people and they look different from each other. They're the same color on the outside but one is more opaque and has orange in the ends. The other is more translucent with no orange at all visible in the ends or through the rod actually.

Which one strikes more pinkish for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-25 at 4:05pm.
Old 2007-10-26, 7:18am

I finally got more of an apricot color out of the poppy by working REALLY cool - so cool that I had trouble rounding up the little spacer! No striking, just working cool. I'll keep working at it to see if I can work hot enough to actually shape a bead and still keep the apricot color instead of bright orange.
Old 2007-10-26, 7:26am
make beads not war

I hafta to double check the color of the rod when I get home, but the ones from Quinton are dark pink-ish all the way through and strike like the top portion of Nagi's bead. And you can see a lot more sparkles.

I work it regular like any glass, then 'strike' it to the dark brown to get the pinks.
Old 2007-10-26, 12:40pm
yukue fumei

hi-
just want to chime in here....
If I remember correctly, my Watermelon rods are transluscent watermelon pink all the way through(I'll go home and check). The melted tip of the rod turns light.
My Poppy rod color is different from the Watermelon rods. They are lighter and more opaque.
I will also go and double check on the color difference between Rosehip, orange sherbet and free range salmon. Rosehip for me feels like a cross between the Poppy and Watermelon. It is slightly darker and more orange than Watermelon but lighter and more pink than Poppy....so many variations(but it is fun!)
Still trying to figure out what Red Velvet corresponds to. It is a gorgeous dark red....

nagi

Old 2007-10-26, 1:40pm

That helps. I thought Poppy and Watermelon were the same color. I was hoping for the results I had seen that I think were Watermelon. Now I can better understand my problem.
Old 2007-10-26, 1:57pm
make beads not war

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Nancy View Post
That helps. I thought Poppy and Watermelon were the same color. I was hoping for the results I had seen that I think were Watermelon. Now I can better understand my problem.
You know... now I'm curious. The number for Poppy is 791942. The number for Watermelon is 791474. It's been confirmed that these two colors are the same right? I think I saw that in another thread several months ago.
Old 2007-10-26, 2:31pm
yukue fumei

oh my...that is a great question. I was wondering that very thing when the colors first came out but didn't think further of it when Frantz posted the color matching list. There are several colors that don't have matching numbers. The Rosehip being one of them.

On another note, the Free Range Salmon from Quinton melts similarly to Watermelon for me, but I will need to do more tests to make sure. I think it is slightly more orange with less pink. Let me confirm that with some test beads.
That is why I didn't order a whole lot of Orange Sherbet--I thought if it melts all the same, I am going to have one giant pile of orange-pink! LOL! But now, if it is all different....hmmmm

nagi

Old 2007-10-26, 2:39pm

Glad I'm not alone in my confusion. I thought I had read it was the same color. I went to a vendor that had all the colors I wanted in stock. I did get switched Poppy and was it Tangerine? But one of my two bundles should be Poppy ~ which I thought was the same as Watermelon.

This is why I usually avoid odd lots and new colors. If there is confusion to be had, I'm in the thick of it. I'll check my numbers tomorrow.
Old 2007-10-26, 2:51pm
Storm Queen

I bought four pounds each of Poppy and Orange Sherbet and I'm not much of a fan. The Orange Sherbet got some black flecks in my bead and the Poppy is orange...with a light pinkish hue. It's not anything like the Watermelon which shows pink or at least pink streaks in it. So I thought that Poppy/Watermelon was one odd lot named two different names. Now it looks like it was an odd lot ran twice that turned out slightly different. I'm confused and stuck with a bunch of orange glass.

Old 2007-10-26, 2:53pm
make beads not war

Yes.. this makes me wonder if there is a 'ideal' batch of Poppy out there. I have seen 3 different colored rods from 2 different suppliers, all saying it's Poppy/Watermelon.
Old 2007-10-26, 3:13pm

Well no wonder I'm confused! I thought Poppy and Watermelon were the same, but I mostly get a bright orange from the Poppy (791942). When it comes out of the kiln it looks a lot like Effetre Sunny Mango Coral.
Old 2007-10-26, 3:21pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_B View Post
Well no wonder I'm confused! I thought Poppy and Watermelon were the same, but I mostly get a bright orange from the Poppy (791942). When it comes out of the kiln it looks a lot like Effetre Sunny Mango Coral.
We were told they were the same thing:

Odd Lot post from Frantz

Old 2007-10-27, 7:21am

I have both the poppy and orange sherbert, I LOVE THEM! This is a pic of a set with both colors. Try working them cool, I guess that's my success since I work on a hot head
Attached Images

Old 2007-10-27, 9:27am
yukue fumei

Gorgeous set glassbeadfairy!!

nagi

Old 2007-10-27, 3:44pm
Megra Farbot

I got all my Poppy and Orange Sherbert from Frantz. I have some Poppy that's very watermellony and some that is not and some that is in between. The same is true for the Orange Sherbert. Some is Salmon, and some not. I think that all the Poppy & Watermelon is from the same batch, just different parts of the pull, and the same for the Orange Sherbert/Salmon.
Old 2007-10-28, 5:04am

I've got mine from Quinton in Belgium. Here is a picture of my test beads, the 2 rows on top are Watermelon, the other one is Salmon Pink.
The very first bead on top is encased, the second etched (as well as the very last one). I have to work the glass very cool and with lots of
oxygen to get that shiny sparkling transparent color. Working hotter my beads will turn out opaque.

GTT-Scorpion, Carlisle Lucio Burner / 2x8l 17.5psi concentrators
Old 2007-10-28, 7:46am
yukue fumei

WOW! Gorgeous beads Martina!!
You even got that gorgeous watermelon color! WOOHOO!
I am gonna go back and try to get that color using your tip--thakns so much!!
I love the color of the encased bead too...very pink!

nagi

Old 2007-10-28, 8:05am

Beautiful colors Martina! The rods I got from Frantz look just like yours, but my beads sure don't OK, off to play again, working very cool and with as much oxy as I can get from one concentrator!
Old 2007-10-28, 7:16pm
yukue fumei

Yes, I think it all depends on which rods were pulled and how the glass is worked....
this is Poppy on the left, Watermelon on the right. Hard to see, but my Poppy rods are a bit lighter and more opaque...once again, it is probably the individual rods pulled that make the difference:

Watermelon beads(black filigrana by Frogsongstudios)The top bead is poppy top and watermelon bottom. The lower 2 were struck till it turned dark in the flame--more orange pops out...

encased with pink filigrana

From the top left:
(oxidizing flame)2 rosehip, 1 poppy, 1 Free range salmon,1 orange sherbet
1 Jupiter, 2 watermelon
(slightly reducing flame)1 Rose hip, orange Sherbet, free range salmon
Bloody Mary, unmarked coppery vetro odd

nagi

Old 2007-10-28, 8:47pm
Storm Queen

Thanks for posting that Nagi. My rods look like your Poppy with the slightly more opaque rings in the center of the rod.

Old 2007-10-29, 12:22am
Just me

Thanks Nagi,
My rods look like yours, both sets. About the same color, one is just more opaque. I'll have to play around with them a bit more to see what I get.

I have to say you are making me want some of that Orange Sherbet dangit. I need to resist. I have so much coral already.
The rosehip is really pretty too... I need to resist!

Thanks again for helping clear up the differences. I'm pretty happy with both the poppy n' watermelon so I'm just gonna have fun and hopefully get a little pink somewhere out of it all.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-10-29 at 12:28am.
Old 2007-10-29, 7:53am
yukue fumei

you're welcome! Glad it helped!

nagi

Old 2007-10-30, 4:57am

Darcy sent me a little bit of poppy! Thanks Darcy!!! I'm so excited!!! I now have some!!! (I'm such a coral ho it's pathetic...and I was soooo sad I had missed out on all those cool vetro shades/batches!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2007-10-30, 9:28am

Nagi, The watermelon you have pictured is more what I had hoped for. I pulled my poppy out at an event last Saturday and several said, yep that's poppy. Now to decide if I should try to stalk out some watermelon. Thanks.

My Poppy doesn't look like your beads though. First I best try working it cooler.
Old 2007-10-30, 11:49am
yukue fumei

Hi Nancy-
Just curious--what colors are you getting with Poppy? More of the orangey color? Thanks

and for Watermelon, I am not sure if Quinton has any more in stock. He does have Rosehip though, and that was pretty close to the Watermelon....I am tempted to order more of the Rosehip since it gets nice pinks (but then again, I am broke from buying all that silver glass LOL!!!)

nagi

Old 2007-10-30, 12:05pm

Yep. I'm long on the orangey color. It isn't ugly or anything, just not what I'd hoped for.
Old 2007-10-30, 12:16pm
yukue fumei

I'm wrong--they do have watermelon!!!

nagi