No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-19, 9:39am
Queen Bee

Default Thoughts on Gaffer Glass?

I was wondering if anyone has used Gaffer glass, and if so, which colors do you think are great? I've tried the Reichenbach purple rose, and thought I'd try out the Gaffer purple rose to compare. But I'd like to order other colors as well at the same time.

I'm especially all about pinks and the purples, but love other colors as well! Any help or suggestions are appreciated

Awhile back I ordered a bunch of Kugler because some said it was great glass, and I was very unimpressed by the colors at the torch. So I'd like to try again with Gaffer, lol. Thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2013-07-19, 9:47am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post
I was wondering if anyone has used Gaffer glass, and if so, which colors do you think are great? I've tried the Reichenbach purple rose, and thought I'd try out the Gaffer purple rose to compare. But I'd like to order other colors as well at the same time.

I'm especially all about pinks and the purples, but love other colors as well! Any help or suggestions are appreciated

Awhile back I ordered a bunch of Kugler because some said it was great glass, and I was very unimpressed by the colors at the torch. So I'd like to try again with Gaffer, lol. Thanks!!!
Really? that's very surprising. What exactly were you going for? Kugler, Reichenbach, Gaffer and the now defunct Zimmerman are all great companies with an incredibly awesome color pallet and you cannot beat their pinks and purples. I could go on singing their praises all day, but I won't. If you didn't like Kugler, you probably won't like Gaffer, either.

Old 2013-07-19, 10:32am
Fried Cat

Gaffer Chalcedony is a must have.
Old 2013-07-19, 11:04am
Lampworkaholic!

Gaffer colors I like besides the purples are Chalcedony, Blue Chalcedony, and Chameleon. The Denim blue is nice too. The clear is great. I like a lot of their veiled cane. If you are buying cane for Lampwork, call Gaffer Glass USA and talk to the staff. The Gaffer Girls are awesome about recommending colors based on your preferences.

As for Kugler, I don't know if you meant the 96 or 104. The 96 frit is amazing. I prefer it to most of the same colors in Reichenbach. I have not worked much at all with the Kugler lampwork cane in 96. I do love some of the Kugler 104 line. If you call Joanne at Hot Glass Color in Seattle, she can advise you on Kugler 104 colors. There's a pretty purple and some pinks.

Hope this helps!

Liz

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-07-19, 11:12am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms View Post

What colors of Kugler did you get?

Old 2013-07-19, 1:23pm
one day at a time

I shied away from Gaffer after I used the frit a few times with Bullseye glass and got crazing. I've been afraid to use it with anything else since, like Uroboros or Effetre. I think I will try it with Gaffer cane as the base. Did they take all the lead out of Gaffer? Because I never had this crazing problem with Reichenbach or Kugler frit. Maybe Gaffer has the problem with just Bullseye, and it might be fine with Uroboros. Yeah, I know I'm a little bit of a worrier.
Old 2013-07-19, 1:42pm

I love Purpur, Chalcendony, Blue Chalcendony, Royal Purple, Purple Rose, Latte (but you can never get it in cane) and Lime Green. There are a few others, but I am at work and can't look.

One thing I did not like was the mix of the rod sizes, everything from 2mm to 8mm in one bundle. But I'll get over it.
Old 2013-07-19, 2:41pm
Adrian

go with the veiled cane!!love it!any color combo, you wont be disappointed
adrian
Old 2013-07-19, 3:13pm
Steph

Lisi, I was under the impression you couldn't use anything else with Bullseye - am I wrong?

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2013-07-19, 3:18pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I shied away from Gaffer after I used the frit a few times with Bullseye glass and got crazing. I've been afraid to use it with anything else since, like Uroboros or Effetre. I think I will try it with Gaffer cane as the base. Did they take all the lead out of Gaffer? Because I never had this crazing problem with Reichenbach or Kugler frit. Maybe Gaffer has the problem with just Bullseye, and it might be fine with Uroboros. Yeah, I know I'm a little bit of a worrier.
You can definitely use it with Uroboros.

Old 2013-07-19, 5:29pm
Angie09

Not sure I'm understanding .... Do you mean you can use Uroboros 96 and mix it (use it with) Bullseye????
Old 2013-07-19, 6:02pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Not sure I'm understanding .... Do you mean you can use Uroboros 96 and mix it (use it with) Bullseye????
No. Lisi was talking about Gaffer and Uroboros. You can definitely use Gaffer with Uroboros. You definitely can NOT use Bullseye with Uroboros.

Old 2013-07-19, 6:17pm
Steph

Uroboros 96 or 104??

Come like me at:
Old 2013-07-19, 9:29pm
Lampworkaholic!

You can use small amounts of 96 frit on the surface of Bullseye beads.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2013-07-19, 11:04pm

I love Gaffer glass:
Gold Pink Extra (GC-110C), Pale Rose (GC-112C), Purpur (GC-114C), Violet (GC-115C), Gold Ruby disks(GC-014C)

hand mixed:
assorted transparents,

hollows and disks:
Chocolate (GC-173C), Gold Pink Extra (GC-110C), Olive Green (GC-131C), Mustard (GC-174C),Violet (GC-115C), Latte (GC-103C)

buttons:
Black (GC-050C), Purpur, Gold Pink Extra, Azure (GC-128C), Olive, Crimson (GC-178C), Orange (GC-182C), Canary Yellow (GC-184C),

transparent spacers and tumbled spacers:
Light Cobalt GC-002C), Light Aquamarine (GC-003C), Light Jade Green (GC-004C), Light Emerald Green (GC-006C), Clear (GC-005C)

all Gaffer:
Chalcedony hollows (GC-109C), Aubergine (GC-051)over white (striped hollows), veiled Gold Lustre (button), Sargasso over lavender veiled (hollows), Lustre (assorted disks)

Last edited by kartwheel; 2013-07-20 at 2:58pm. Reason: added color names
Old 2013-07-19, 11:33pm
one day at a time

Does Gaffer make a nice white cane?? I have the Enamel White and it swallows frit. I mean it really swallows it. I guess it is really soft and so different in viscosity, that I wonder about compatibility.
Old 2013-07-19, 11:41pm
Steph

So lovely Karen, would you mind sharing the colour names?

Come like me at:
Old 2013-07-20, 4:00am
Angie09

What she ^^^^^^^^ said....please!
Old 2013-07-20, 6:41am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Does Gaffer make a nice white cane?? I have the Enamel White and it swallows frit. I mean it really swallows it. I guess it is really soft and so different in viscosity, that I wonder about compatibility.
There's an Opal White, a Duck Egg White and a Cream, but I haven't used them.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=248780

If you call, the staff would be able to advise on the best white.

My frit blend called Afterglow is mostly Gaffer colors, and there are some Gaffer colors in Copacabana, Gallimaufry and Metamorphosis.

Old 2013-07-20, 8:36am

I like Uroboros Almond Opal for frit. Shawnette suggested it, and it is awesome.
Old 2013-07-20, 1:20pm
one day at a time

Thanks, Elizabeth!

Okay, so I do have some Gaffer frit single colors and now I won't be afraid to use them with Uroboros and Spectrum 96. I have the Purpura from ThatFritGirl and an old jar of G-11 (Amethyst). Also a garnet color and Chalcedony.

Here is a bad combination that cracks with tiny crazing all over the beads, so don't ever combine these two: Bullseye Neo Lavender Opal and Gaffer G-11 Amethyst.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-07-20 at 1:25pm.
Old 2013-07-20, 2:21pm

I don't know that I would ever combine 96 coe and 90 coe. Lisi have you done it successfully with other combinations?
Old 2013-07-20, 3:05pm

Thanks Steph and Angie!, I've edited my post to add the colors I could recall.

Elizabeth, Opal white is the best choice. Duck Egg can go dark with some colors, and cream sometimes devits a bit for me.
Old 2013-07-20, 4:04pm
Steph

Thank you Karen, beautiful!

Come like me at:
Old 2013-07-20, 4:39pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Quote:
Thanks, Elizabeth!

Okay, so I do have some Gaffer frit single colors and now I won't be afraid to use them with Uroboros and Spectrum 96. I have the Purpura from ThatFritGirl and an old jar of G-11 (Amethyst). Also a garnet color and Chalcedony.

Here is a bad combination that cracks with tiny crazing all over the beads, so don't ever combine these two: Bullseye Neo Lavender Opal and Gaffer G-11 Amethyst.
Lisi, the brands that you mention are
Coe 96: Gaffer, Uroboros, Spectrum 96
Coe 90: Bullseye

I personally wouldn't attempt mixing Bullseye with any of the COE 96 colors (obviously also not with the COE104 colors).

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2013-07-20, 5:02pm

Oh Karen! They arre some seriously fantastic beads. What transparents have you used? they are delish!! Do you have to treat the Gaffer differently to other glasses?
Old 2013-07-20, 5:52pm
one day at a time

Please let me clarify: I've used only furnace glass frit (Kugler, Reichenbach, Gaffer) in small amounts, one layer of frit on Bullseye and had some crazing problems. I have never used Bullseye with Uroboros 96 or any 104 glass. Even brand-newbies know those basic precautions. That's in Lampworking 101.

Another one I remembered that was a failure were some 8mm spacers made with Kugler K-14 size #0 on BE transparent neo lavender. I was surprised because K-14 was a leaded frit, and the small #0 would cause the least problems, I thought at the time. IMHO, I would keep these furnace glass frits far away from Bullseye. I learned from those mistakes 10 years ago.

Last edited by Lisi; 2013-07-20 at 5:59pm.
Old 2013-07-20, 6:30pm

Thanks so much Spotty Dots!

Since the Gaffer transparents are so intense (apart from the pale ones I used for the tumbled spacers), I have been experimenting with blending them with either clear or white, or white and clear mixed. I have used basically every transparent (at least that I could find) So here's a few more color assortments, some I have shown before. All have been tumbled and have a yummy translucent silky feel.

Old 2013-07-20, 6:34pm

Gorgeous!!
Old 2013-07-20, 6:43pm

Lovely and creative use of the transparents!!