No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-09-11, 2:02pm
tweetysweetie

Default Repairing Murano glass pendant

Had a lady stop by the studio with a broken pendant she had bought in Murano, Italy...broken and in need of repair. Nothing special, except to her, but wants it fixed. Black backing with implosion color and sparkle on the front, with the word in an oval says Murano......anyone have a clue as to what coe most of the artists there use? I don't have enough of a broken off piece to do a compatibility test....grrr. I'd love to be able to add glass to this thing but have a feeling I'm gonna have to stretch out what I can to re-create the hanging loop. Anybody got suggestions...thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-09-12, 7:48am
Corgi Cult Member

And to complicate matters more, some of the glass they sell is made in China.

Old 2016-09-12, 8:34am
Queen of the milo field

Any way to convince her the best way is to grind down the loop & make it a wire wrapped pendant?

dj
Old 2016-09-13, 6:15pm

Talk with Santa, with the repair work done on vintage marble they may have a few ideas.
Santasbling.com is their webpage, I can't rember the LE user name.

Old 2016-09-14, 4:33am

As mentioned above, could be from China. I politely say no to these requests since you never know what you are dealing with. The repair time takes more time than the piece is worth. Hope it works out!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2016-09-14, 5:49am

Simply explain that all glass has different COEs and you really don't have a positive way to determine the COE on this pendant. Since it has sentimental value to her, you would not want to cause any more harm to it. Wire wrapping is a good choice and so are the glue on bails. She could also see if someone could take the pendant and do bead embroidery around it. There are a lot of possibilities to help her cherish this keepsake.
Old 2016-09-14, 10:38pm

Her best bet is to grind off and polish the broken area and then possibly glue a bail to the back or wire wrap.

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2016-09-15, 12:25pm

I would vote for grinding off the broken area, may be fire polishing in the kiln for a glue-on bail with very conservative ramp up to the annealing temperature.

Bezel made of seedbeads with a loop could also be an option to both to hide the grinded spot and refresh the look of the pendant.
Old 2016-09-15, 12:53pm

If you are afraid to polish or don't think you can - or are afraid to fire polish in the kiln - you can use resin to add the shine back to the ground area too. UV resin works great for that.

feel free to friend me on FB if you can handle bead pics, dog pics and family pics -
Old 2016-09-20, 6:13pm
Slogan Challenged...

How did this turn out?

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2016-09-26, 11:21am
tweetysweetie

Time to update.....this piece was dropped off at our artists gallery, requesting a "fix me" with just a phone number. I'm the only glassworker in there. Everytime I called there was no answer so I never had the options to tell the woman, "no promises/guarantees", can I grind or wirewrap etc. So I just went with my idea that with over 40yrs glass experience I can make this happen..plus I'm pretty stubborn and will find a way to make it work.

The piece was actually from Murano, not China..it had a glass impression of Murano stamped into the glass on the back, original box & stickers etc. I wondered the coe of this glass in case I needed to add more glass at the top to make the hanging loop that was no longer there, but I did have one large piece and two smaller pieces to pull this off.
I had the impression this piece must be of some type of sentimental value as why else would someone care about such a "generic" looking item be in the "I wnat this fixed, column"? With my experience and all the equipment one could need at my disposal I was up to this task......lol

Into a kiuln for a ramp up to working temp they go... I grab the large piece enter into the flamer of the torch and immediately turned it into 3 more lpieces....grrrrrrrrr Not to be beat down and humilated by one little itty bitty piece of glass? I grabbed them all up and headed to one of my fusing kilns, with the now...SIX pieces...I will not be defeated...no, nope...no way. 30 minutes later and 1600 degrees, the victims had no choice but to meld, blend and co-operate with me.......after a proper ramp & cool down to room temp......out comes a pendant...closely resembling its' former self. Would I do this all again, probably..remember the stubborn part? However, I will next time go straight to the fusing part, strong arming and not babying the damn thing!

Everyone thanks for replying and all your suggestions.....my advice to you? Just say NO!!

Last edited by FiredDesires; 2016-09-26 at 11:30am.
Old 2016-09-26, 1:22pm
Slogan Challenged...

It's amazing you could "save" it! Sounds like good advice too. Hope she liked it.

Facebook:

Etsy: