Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-01-18, 8:36am
THe quiet one....

Default proposed ventalation- will it work?

My studio is the 1 bedroom house next door. My torch is set up in the bedroom. I do not heat the house in the winter. I just use space heaters in the rooms while I am using them. So here is what I would like to set up. Exhaust fan either going up through the ceiling and out the roof or over and out through the window to my left. I would like to bring the makeup air through floor directly under my table out of the basement. My hope is that will help with not sucking all the heat out of the room. Here is a diagram of the window location. It is to my left and slightly behind me. The window would be easier than going through the attic. Or maybe I should just go through the wall. My main goal is to keep the makeup air in a position that I am not sucking up all the heating and cooling from the room. Can I duct it up from the floor through the table below the exhaust?

Vikki

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you have to have an attitude...pick a good one
Old 2009-01-18, 11:00am

Hi Vikki

If you don't mind poking holes in your wall, that would be far easier, in my opinion, than poking a hole through the roof for your vent. The window can be another good choice.

Dale M. has a good drawing he's posted in the Art Glass Answers website on how to bring make-up air into a bench for exactly the reasons you mention, ie keeping your workspace as warm or cool as possible. (To see the drawing, you need to sign in to the website.) In your case, it should be relatively simple to duct straight upwards from the basement through the bottom of your bench to its top surface. Most of the folks who do this seem to like these make-up air vents at the back of the bench. You probably won't want to just put floor vents from the basement under your bench - bet you'd find it drafty in the winter, despite floor heaters, and the bench itself would block the efficiency of getting make-up air to your work area. You'll probably also want to crack the window a bit so that your fan can draw make-up air from behind you, also

How cool to have a 1-bedroom house to use for torching!

Linda
Old 2009-01-18, 1:06pm
THe quiet one....

I don't mind poking holes in the wall so I think that is the way to go. I don't have a problem with any needed holes in this house. It is all of 20x20 and came with the property my house is on. It has always been used as a rental house. I tried renting it in the begining and couldn't find a tenant that didn't make me pull my hair out. And once they got the first heating bill they would move out. Eventually we will tear it down and build a nice big garage with a studio in its place.

I'll check out the forum you refer to. Thanks for the info.

Vikki

If you have to have an attitude...pick a good one
Old 2009-01-18, 2:39pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Just keep in mind that your inlet for makeup air has to be at least 10 feet away from outlet of exhaust.... This is so there is enough dilution of the exhaust so it does not get sucked in as make up air...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal