Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-20, 1:38am
professional gimme fiver

Default Are 2-5L Oxy cons equal to 1-10L?

Because in the future I'd like to upgrade my torch to a boro capable one, and I already have a fine working 5L oxy con but know I'll need a 10L. If I purchased an additional 5L one could I somehow piggyback the lines so both 5L's are flowing into my torch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-20, 2:17am

Default 2 oxycons

Yes, that's exactly what i did. I used a brass y joint i bought in the hardware store on the hose and now my carlisle torch runs off two 5L oxycons. I just turn the oxygen down if i want less. Hope this helps
Old 2011-03-20, 3:40pm
professional gimme fiver

That's kind of what I thought, too. I'm looking to upgrade from my Carlisle Mini CC to a Wildcat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-20, 4:25pm

The guys from the equipment side of the hospice I work for came in and gave a talk on O2 safty during which they mentioned ordering some 10L machines for high need patients. I asked about using 2 5L machines together and they said that won't work with machines that are now currently made (and they meant last several years as current) saying you still only get 5L as one will "cancel" out the other. I really didn't understand why as I notice many do in fact use 2x5L here to get more O2.
Old 2011-03-20, 4:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You can easily Y them together - I have 2 5s together - but it is not quite the same as a 10. I would say it's more like having an 8.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.

Last edited by squid; 2011-03-20 at 4:40pm.
Old 2011-03-20, 4:35pm
Dichro Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
You can easily Y them together - I have 2 5s together - but it is not quite the same as a 10. I would say it's more line having an 8.
That's what I thought too.

Old 2011-03-20, 5:31pm
da General

Since you are not supposed to use the max of the oxycon's LPM, with two 5s together each at 4 LPM, you get 8 LPM. With a 10, you can probably get a 9.

Also 10 LPM machines may have a higher PSI pressure than 5 LPM ones which also enhances oxygen output.

|
|
|
|