No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-26, 10:27am
Formerly FishBulb

Default CIM incompatibility...

... with itself, no less. I made a few beads about a year ago with CIM Crocus and CIM Eggplant and this bead just sat amid a whole pile of other beads for that year.

I pulled it out the other day and oh, look: incompatibility cracks. It was fine until recently.

I've sold several beads and pendants made with glass in this combination. This is just freaking ducky.

Name:  P1030990.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  66.4 KB

Name:  P1030991.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  64.1 KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.

Last edited by Mitosis Glass; 2011-08-26 at 10:52am. Reason: insert name of glass
Old 2011-08-26, 10:31am
Nikki Haverstock

Oh no
Old 2011-08-26, 10:45am
Glass Addict

You might want to contact CIM about it. I get their newsletter and personal customer service contact whenever I write it with a question or problem. I LOVE CIM and their color palette but have had miserable luck with Peacock and Kryptonite, two of my favorite and most oftenly used colors, cracking on me

Here is Kathy's contact info at CIM. They have a professional color and combatibility tester on staff... maybe she can help in some way:

Kathy Seamands

Creation is Messy
Messy Color™

[tel] + 1.206.774.0876
[web] CreationIsMessy.com
[mail] Kathy@CreationIsMessy.com
Old 2011-08-26, 10:52am
Sarah Jane's grandma

Oh no, that makes you sick, doesn't it? I've just started using CIM, so this makes me nervous. I love Kryptonite. I haven't had any cracking yet....

Old 2011-08-26, 10:54am
Formerly FishBulb

Thank you TileGoddess, I might just do that.

I remember threads on here talking about how the blues need a higher annealing temp, 1040 or so, and maybe the purples are the same way. I've also had incompatibility with Sangre and MSC, where the Sangre was on the OUTSIDE. Gah.

Old 2011-08-26, 11:01am
Glass Addict

Really!!??! I hadn't heard that about the blues at all... and I haven't had any problems with the purples and I use a ton of their purples!! Blues I don't work with much... not too many, with Azure and Pulsar I get cracks occassionally, Glacier, Grumpy Bear and Chalcedony no problems, I also use Crocus and haven't had a problem with cracks yet. Leaky Pen is another color I love and get some cracks with too.... I just figured that most of the cracks I got were due to my inexperience as a lampworker....
Old 2011-08-26, 11:19am

Hi Angie,

I had cracking issues with these colours too when I put them under clear.
Typical incompatability cracks.

But I know a few people working on a hothead that don't have any issues with eggplant and crocus under clear.
I think the working temperature has a big part.

Kathrin

Last edited by philomena; 2011-08-27 at 6:28am.
Old 2011-08-26, 12:30pm
Angie09

I just made about 2 dozen beads with the Ltd Run Sea Foam and about 7 cracked. That's the only CIM color I've had cracking with. Ugh!
Old 2011-08-26, 1:28pm

I've had terrible cracking issues with the purples! Those rods just sit there unused for now...I hate that cause I love the colors!!!! Ugh!

Old 2011-08-26, 1:29pm

I've had cracking with eggplant incased. And I don't kiln any higher than anything else.
Old 2011-08-26, 2:43pm
Formerly FishBulb

None of the purple beads that I made are encased; these are cracking all on their own.

I think I'll just use up the stash for single-colour beads with gold foil or something, and be done with buying CIM forevermore. I'm cringing to think of the people who bought the beads I made with this combination; I wish I knew them so I could offer them refunds. These were purchases made through a consignment store so I don't even know the buyers. This sure won't put brownie points on my reputation. Sheesh.

Old 2011-08-26, 3:09pm
Nikki Haverstock

Can you contact the store? Maybe give them a card with info on contacting you if any customers come back?
Old 2011-08-26, 3:31pm

Now I feel a little better. I just had a bead crack that I encased Crocus with clear. Thought I did it when I put in the bale.
Glad I did not make more than one!
Hummm.........need to compile a list of the colors mentioned and also contact CIM.
I hate this I just finally got a bunch of different CIM colors!

Marianne
Mkdisegni
Old 2011-08-26, 3:53pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Can you contact the store? Maybe give them a card with info on contacting you if any customers come back?
Yes, I was thinking of doing this. The owner was on vacation but I think she'll be back any day.

I feel like such a tool. This kind of thing shakes the customer's faith in the quality of your stuff, you know? Heck, my faith in my stuff has been shaken, I wouldn't expect less of the customers.

Old 2011-08-26, 4:48pm
Sarah Jane's grandma

Well dang. I just bought several of their purples. I'd just been sticking with Italian glass til then. Guess I'll just use it to make things for me. I won't feel comfortable selling anything with them now. I am really glad you posted this though- we need to know the things that are happening with the glass we buy.

Old 2011-08-26, 5:11pm
Evil Glass Enabler

If I were wearing it and it cracked I'd ass-u-me that I'd whacked it against something. I'm prone to that. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."

Last edited by angelique_redhead; 2011-08-26 at 5:20pm. Reason: Typo fairies stole 2 letters.
Old 2011-08-26, 5:47pm
Glass Addict

I have the following purples from CIM:

Poi, Plum, Crocus, Journey, Eggplant, Simply Berry, Grape Ape and Lapis. I use TONS of the Simply Berry, Poi and Plum. I have had NO cracks using these colors but then, I'm not encasing them either. I have had a few cracks with the Crocus and lose about 10-25% of my beads. I also try not to over heat it and anneal at 920-940.

Old 2011-08-26, 6:36pm

My purple CIM cracking happens only when I encase. If I'm just adding dots or other "decorations" as a finishing touch, no problem. Unfortunately for me, I like to encase and mix colors.

Old 2011-08-26, 8:07pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by selma_belma View Post
Well dang. I just bought several of their purples. I'd just been sticking with Italian glass til then. Guess I'll just use it to make things for me. I won't feel comfortable selling anything with them now. I am really glad you posted this though- we need to know the things that are happening with the glass we buy.
I think I'll stick with Italian glass from now on too, and some German and US glasses. I've had and heard problems with CIM and almost chucked it all, but it'll make good spacers and single-color beads so I'll keep it for that. Sorry to disappoint you though.

Old 2011-08-26, 8:09pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
If I were wearing it and it cracked I'd ass-u-me that I'd whacked it against something. I'm prone to that. Angelique
Yes, I would think the same thing about myself, but this hasn't been worn or mishandled at all. All the other beads in its company are in solid condition, and I've also dropped beads before and not had crackage.

Old 2011-08-26, 8:10pm
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilegoddess View Post
I have the following purples from CIM:

Poi, Plum, Crocus, Journey, Eggplant, Simply Berry, Grape Ape and Lapis. I use TONS of the Simply Berry, Poi and Plum. I have had NO cracks using these colors but then, I'm not encasing them either. I have had a few cracks with the Crocus and lose about 10-25% of my beads. I also try not to over heat it and anneal at 920-940.
Does the Crocus crack when encased? I'm wondering if it behaves like opalino in that regard, that you have to sandwich it between clears rather than encasing a solid layer of opalino.

Old 2011-08-26, 8:12pm
Formerly FishBulb

Rudy, I've found the same thing, that surface decorations seem to be alright. I do have a set with surface decoration only so I'll keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't all pop off.

With the bead in this picture I super-heated the Crocus and Eggplant together because I like the way Eggplant webs, and maybe this intense mixing is a no-no with these glasses.

Old 2011-08-26, 8:51pm

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood. Thought you encased the egg with the crocus. That just shouldn't have happened. Geeze.
Old 2011-08-27, 3:39am
Evil Glass Enabler

Understood but that means the seller would not be given the blame since it's stupid user error in that case. Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Yes, I would think the same thing about myself, but this hasn't been worn or mishandled at all. All the other beads in its company are in solid condition, and I've also dropped beads before and not had crackage.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-08-27, 7:02am
Formerly FishBulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
Understood but that means the seller would not be given the blame since it's stupid user error in that case. Angelique
Ohhhh! I see what you mean. That kind of does make me feel better, actually.

Old 2011-08-27, 11:18pm
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
Does the Crocus crack when encased? I'm wondering if it behaves like opalino in that regard, that you have to sandwich it between clears rather than encasing a solid layer of opalino.
It acts like an opalino because it is , so is eggplant, actually most if not all mentioned are. http://creationismessy.com/palettes.aspx
So maybe that's why? I treat their (opal) opalinos like any other italian, I don't encase and I'm a tad more just careful how or what I use them with. I would think an opalino/opal and another opal would be ok but honestly I don't think I've ever done that.

I love CIM and use it more than Italian etc now, but that said now you have me worried as well as I've never heard that blues need to be annealed hotter. Really? And why blues? I've heard that for Cirrus and Halong but I have no issues at my normal annealing temp thankfully.

Also I know tilegoddess said to contact Kathy, has anyone lately? I did after the newsletter of no longer making khaki and it said to ask what is similar along with a question. Never heard back, which is odd as normally she is so on it. Maybe I'll try again, I just hate being a nag.
Old 2011-08-28, 7:29am
Formerly FishBulb

Ravenesque, here is the thread where CIM says Cirrus, Halong Bay and Peacock need higher annealing temps:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...+bay+annealing

I also remember a thread on here where people were saying some of their other blues needed higher temps too, and another person was spitting mad because their focals all containing Leaky Pen all had cracks in them after a few months.

As for contacting Kathy, I'll do so right now.

Old 2011-08-28, 7:45am

I could break your heart with how many of my kryptonite floral garden beads have had crazy incompatibility cracks.
Couple of chalcedonys too.

- A work in progress

Old 2011-08-28, 7:50am

here's one....
Attached Images

- A work in progress

Old 2011-08-28, 8:24am
Formerly FishBulb

Ohhhhhhh, gawd that's painful!!!! What an absolutely stunning focal.