No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-17, 9:54am
Wonder-wench

I wear this mask, N95, when sifting enamels

http://www.uline.com/BL_1085/3M-Dust...ors-with-Valve

if only rolling the the hot glass in the powders, I don't wear the mask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-17, 12:27pm
Nikki Haverstock

I made the mistake of asking if there was any scientific studies on ventilation specifically with Lampworking and you would have thought I suggested that people set themselves on fire.

Since there seems to be no hard data on the dangers, I just try to be very careful and wear a mask as much as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-02-17, 12:40pm

Zooziis has some information on her site.

http://www.zooziis.com/environmentaltesting.aspx

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2012-02-17, 1:19pm

I was buying glass beads for many years before I ever became interested in making them. My heart aches every time I contact one of them and they tell me they've had to give it up due to health issues. Wear your masks, folks. You are all too valuable to us to lose.

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
Old 2012-02-17, 1:48pm
da General

First of all, let me stress that no one likes wearing a respirator! lol! But it's a conscious choice some of us make to take care of ourselves. Do we all do what's good for us? Nope! Just like you can't tell a smokers that smoking is bad for them - they know! But they still do it.

Bottom line, glass dust is bad for you. Glass fumes are bad for you. Metal fumes are bad for you. That's why proper ventilation systems are important and that's why one should always wear a respirator with rating of N100 or P100 when working with powders and metals.

But if you don't want to. That's your choice!

I never teach at studios that doesn't have proper ventilation systems. I spend time educating all my students how important it is to have proper ventilation systems AND adequate intake air. I discuss at length how that works and answer many questions on how to make their own working environment safer. I stress the importance of wearing a respirator when using powders and require the use of one when I teach classes that require use of powders. Do I know if they follow my teachings after the class? I don't know! I can only hope they do!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2012-02-17 at 1:50pm.
Old 2012-02-17, 2:00pm

I wear a mask I bought at Lowes, its big with replaceable filters and has a lever on top that lets me unhook it and take it off with one hand while torching. I wear it as I'm sifting the enamels over my bead and then take it off to finish the bead. I have a small face and the disposable ones never fit correctly and fogged up my glasses. This one cost $30. and is comfortable and easy to use. Its good for all kinds of dust, paint, asbestos, etc.

Old 2012-02-17, 2:01pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Maybe they didn't die but maybe developed asthma, easily get colds, bronchitis, cancer etc.
Maybe. I do have asthma, but so does my sister and she's never been near enamel powders. My two friends that I did a lot of enameling with do not have ashtma, do not get colds easily and they do not have cancer.

Of course, they both smoked for a few decades. Which hardly seems fair as I never did.
Old 2012-02-17, 2:48pm

Don't. Should.
Old 2012-02-17, 5:18pm
what's a senior moment ?

I wear a half face mask that has changable cartridges each and every time I'm at the torch and I have the box set up NOW plus great ventilation. I never use to wear the face mask with my old set up and became very sensitive to the propane. So it's a must now. Yeah, a pain in the behind especially now since I'm doing blown beads. I only take it off when I'm blowing. lol ! Beads that is. I won't torch without it.

Old 2012-02-17, 7:11pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobeth View Post
I was buying glass beads for many years before I ever became interested in making them. My heart aches every time I contact one of them and they tell me they've had to give it up due to health issues. Wear your masks, folks. You are all too valuable to us to lose.
So true, many LE members have left because of getting so ill from lampworking they HAD to quit.

Skydiver without a parachute
Deep sea diver without oxygen tanks
Welder without a Shield
Racecar driver without his suit
Fireman without his suit
Lampworker without a respirator and or proper ventilation for work space.

Different hobbies, occupations, recreational pastimes have different gear requirements, so does lampworking but because it CAN be done in the comfort of ones home or garage etc. sitting down, watching tv, listening to music blah blah blah, and with demos being given all across the country without any protective gear always implying and giving the false impression to newcomers that want to start making beads that, that is all there is to making glass beads the respirator and efficient exhaust system get bypassed with no thought to health.

Also the expense of $$, the expense of physical energy and expense of brain energy to set up a studio properly also keeps people from setting up the safe way.

Just wanna make beads like we saw the person who did the demo do. They didn't have gear, the class I took the teacher didn't have gear, No one told me to have special gear or equipment. I have heard them all. I also feel very sad when this happens.

Also because it is a fairly new hobby and not regulated yet
( notice I said yet) and because the gov and powers that be have not said we have to be certified and wear said equipment...people don't/won't. Uncle Sam is always looking for a way to increase its coffers!

I agree it is a big mistake not to wear a mask, always.
Old 2012-02-17, 7:16pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Maybe. I do have asthma, but so does my sister and she's never been near enamel powders. My two friends that I did a lot of enameling with do not have ashtma, do not get colds easily and they do not have cancer.

Of course, they both smoked for a few decades. Which hardly seems fair as I never did.
Kevan didn't your asthma come on recently? Like after you made your move from the ocean inland a little?

I always breath much better by the ocean and have NO sinus problems. I wish I could move back to Santa Cruz
Old 2012-02-18, 9:22am
Noooobie!

Tho I am not the original poster, I want to say thank you to all who have posted.... I bought the correct mask with replaceable cartridges and my plan was to wear it with powders....after all this info, I plan on using it at all times torching.
Old 2012-02-18, 9:31am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead Trixx View Post
Tho I am not the original poster, I want to say thank you to all who have posted.... I bought the correct mask with replaceable cartridges and my plan was to wear it with powders....after all this info, I plan on using it at all times torching.
Way to go! You have made my Sat.
Old 2012-02-18, 10:39am

I want to thank everyone for their insights on this too. It's all good information. Way to go Bead Trixx.

Hayley, way to go to for taking the time to make sure everyone is aware of what they need to do to stay safe. That is good teaching!

Old 2012-02-20, 11:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
I never teach at studios that doesn't have proper ventilation systems. I spend time educating all my students how important it is to have proper ventilation systems AND adequate intake air. I discuss at length how that works and answer many questions on how to make their own working environment safer. I stress the importance of wearing a respirator when using powders and require the use of one when I teach classes that require use of powders. Do I know if they follow my teachings after the class? I don't know! I can only hope they do!
Thanks for taking that stand on proper ventilation, Hayley! May be the only way to force the issue at some studios. I try to do the same if I am considering a class for myself.
Old 2012-02-20, 11:25am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Thanks for taking that stand on proper ventilation, Hayley! May be the only way to force the issue at some studios. I try to do the same if I am considering a class for myself.
I second this^^ Thank-you. We need more peeps like you out there teaching.
Old 2012-02-21, 3:19am

The mask is very hot, uncomfortable, clumsy, and yes, I wear it whenever using enamels, from start to finish. I'm quite the fashion plate with didy safety glasses, a magnifying device strapped around my head, and a heavy duty half-face mask.

I've known too many people (including family) with asthma and emphysema, and don't want to give that "gift" to myself from being deliberately careless. On the other hand, I continue to walk through my studio barefoot . . .
Old 2012-02-21, 11:46am
Noooobie!

We should get a fashion show of each of us with our mask and glasses on for the site....we can call ourselves the Safety Divas! (for the guys Safety __________ the guys get to pick the word)

I'm willing to do a fashion shot..... one in real life with our torch.... and one with myself dolled up in fashionable clothes hair and hair and makeup with my safety gear on! The first shot is for safety the second for giggles.

Really..... I'm a Safety Diva!! Anyone else in???

Last edited by Bead Trixx; 2012-02-21 at 11:48am.
Old 2012-02-22, 11:01pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I always wore a mask up until a couple of days ago. I really hate the mask as it fogs up my glasses and I have to adjust my glasses way down my nose to stop the fogging. It's a real pain. I should probably get a different kind of mask.

Ebay:
Old 2012-02-23, 10:25am
Noooobie!

Okay faahggheetaaboutt! lol No pics hee hee hee
Old 2012-02-25, 5:30pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

When I first got my gear I told Hubby it makes me feel like a TV star. My black Kevlar sleeves make me feel like Abby Sciuto (NCIS) - which is a GOOD thing. Unfortunately my Didys make me feel like Barry Weiss (Storage Wars.) sigh....

I'm pretty sure I'll never buy enamels if they require a respirator for safety. I'm pretty sure I've already exceeded my dork tolerance.

L-111

Old 2012-02-25, 7:07pm
Not really a tree.

I always wear a respirator when I am torching. I've dealt with so many different art forms over the years that required me to wear one, that it is now just second nature. I sometimes forget that I have it on and walk outside in the yard wearing it. I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts!

I'd rather wear one and discover that I never really needed to, than to not wear one and develop an issue down the road.

/
Old 2012-02-26, 12:27am
Wonder-wench

oh, I wouldn't count on that, I'm not sure there is an upper limit on dorkiness,
Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
When I first got my gear I told Hubby it makes me feel like a TV star. My black Kevlar sleeves make me feel like Abby Sciuto (NCIS) - which is a GOOD thing. Unfortunately my Didys make me feel like Barry Weiss (Storage Wars.) sigh....

I'm pretty sure I'll never buy enamels if they require a respirator for safety. I'm pretty sure I've already exceeded my dork tolerance.

Old 2012-02-26, 7:32am

Discovered that it not only flies when sprinkling or rolling bead but putting it into the fire it flies off the bead into your area. I try to remember to wear a mask when I use it.
Old 2012-02-26, 8:10am
Powers Art Studio

i always wear a mask when working with frit, enamels, silver foil, etc. i also never torch at a studio that doesn't have adequate ventilation

Old 2012-02-26, 8:24am

Yes, good ventilation is an absolute must. I work at an Alzheimer's facility in the kitchen. They are replacing a huge hood over the stove. It's all stainless and very clean. I am taking it to replace my ugly hood. So excited. I can now hook up all of my torches instead of just one at a time. My husband is so excited that he gets to re-do the whole studio...NOT. Poor thing.