Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-09-14, 9:22am

Default Tips for striking R-Multicolor

Hi, anybody out there have any tips for striking R Multicolor? I did a search and didn't come up with anything, but thought maybe someone out there has some hints. I just got some and am not getting anything good at all. Does it strike like Iris Orange?

thanks for any help,
tail wags,
Peggy Rose

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-09-14, 9:36am

Use it just like you would Raku. You make the bead and then put it low to the flame and heat that baby up until it's about to drip. Then take it out of the heat to cool until all glow is gone. Then slowly move back into the flame back and forth until you start seeing color. It should be a dark brown and then will start to shift to blues...etc. Just don't overstrike it or you'll get mud. If you search for Dawn's tutorial, she has excellent tips in there for all kinds of glass. This one would apply!

Old 2013-09-14, 1:26pm

Thanks so much Irene, I will heat it a little hotter, I think I am getting the mud you were talking about!

I will do a search on what you suggested!

Tail wags,
Peggy

Old 2013-09-15, 7:18am
Angie09

Or just do what I've had to do....put down the multi rod and just drool at Dawn's photos!
Old 2013-09-15, 8:10am
T.J. made me do it

Heat the snot out of it.
Let it cool under the flame until it starts going from green to maroon.
Put back in flame a bit further out.

Old 2013-09-15, 10:44am
I fart diamonds

Multicolor strikes easier than Raku. I heat then cool (brass), the same as with Raku,but it takes a lot less effort.

Dawn's tutorial: http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20601

Old 2013-09-15, 11:07am
Sheila Davis Designs

Like Shawnette said, Multicolor loves brass. I have good luck with it in a press or even a bead roller.

Old 2013-09-15, 6:36pm
Denise

The batch can make a BIG difference (as with raku). Both Multicolour and multicolour dark vary a lot from batch to batch. If it's the standard multicolour your talking about, the pink rods will strike better than the green ones.

Old 2013-09-15, 7:47pm
T.J. made me do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKS View Post
The batch can make a BIG difference (as with raku). Both Multicolour and multicolour dark vary a lot from batch to batch. If it's the standard multicolour your talking about, the pink rods will strike better than the green ones.
The newest batch of MC is almost the same color as Raku in the rod and you have to heat the holy livin' snot out of it to get any color at all. I wish they'd be more consistent.

Old 2013-09-16, 1:30am

Hi Peggy,

it also depends on the COE of your Multicolor.
There's 96 COE and 104 COE.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ght=multicolor

Good luck!
Elke