Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-26, 6:11am
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default reduction glass

who sells the reduction glass?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2006-10-26, 6:19am
Entropy increasing....

Lots of people. You probably want Reichenbach or Kugler glass. You can get Reichenbach from Olympic Color Rod, if it's canes you want. Kugler you can get from Arrow Springs or Hot Glass color. Hot glass color has a 20% off sale.

Darn. I might need to drive up there.

http://www.hotglasscolor.com/
Old 2006-10-26, 6:24am
Formerly Kellyhorton

ok, didnt realize there was different varieites, I guess I am talking iris gold, silver blue, silver green aqua blue silver, light iris silver blue, what type of glass is that?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2006-10-26, 6:28am
Entropy increasing....

Reichenbach seems to have more colors, but they both have silver blue, iris gold. Kugler has a silver clear, which I haven't tried.

OCR has all of those. They have a 10% off sale. YOu can make stringer with the frit, but the canes are better. So much easier. Make sure you get canes and not rods. Rods are about an inch thick.

http://www.glasscolor.com/colors/rei...nsparents.aspx
Old 2006-10-26, 6:44am
Formerly Kellyhorton

ok, on their websight, I dont see the colors i want in cane. it only comes in rod, frit or powder, is that correct? or is cane something else, always confused by what cane actually is.....sorry, yes, been doing this a year, but havent worked with any of the reduction glass. Here them talk all the time about cane, was never real sure what it was exactly.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2006-10-26, 6:59am
Entropy increasing....

Nothing to be sorry about!

In Reichenbach the Iris green is R-136
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=23&pID=286

R-211 Iris Light Blue
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=23&pID=306

R-217 Light Iris Gold
http://www.glasscolor.com/products/d...cID=23&pID=309

These will all reduce to metallic finishes.

Some of the colors aren't available in canes. You want canes or frit. Silver blue is a Kugler color I think.

Frantz has some of those in stringers which are a great way to go.

http://www.frantzartglass.com/items....us=1&Cc=KUGLAR
Old 2006-10-26, 7:04am
In search of her path....

At glasscolor.com the canes are in the lampworking area ....the rods that are listed are big kilo sized rods. for furnace work and melting not lampworking...the frits are great though. but you have to order a minimum of 1/2 kilo which ias about 1.1lb

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-10-26, 7:13am
Formerly Kellyhorton

could kiss you guys!!!omg, will need 9 more jobs to pay for them, now i see why they are used in SMALL amounts! he he.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Last edited by dragonfly designs 56; 2006-10-26 at 7:20am.
Old 2006-10-26, 8:52am
Formerly Kellyhorton

OK, SOME MORE REALLY SILLY QUESTIONS. I can understand that Reichenback is another type of glass, I understand that the reduction glass is more expensive due to the chemical reactions it has, my other question would be, why would people use the non reduction glass( the other nonreducing reichenback colors) due to it being so expensive. is it just for the particular colors? I mean this is just another type of glass, like boro, or spectrum, or moretti, right?

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2006-10-26, 11:01am

It's 92coe, so if you want a lot of the special colors in a bead, it's obviously best to use it with itself. Also the transparents are VERY intense colours, great for things like flower petals, you get strong colors in very small quantities.

Old 2006-10-26, 11:05am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton
OK, SOME MORE REALLY SILLY QUESTIONS. I can understand that Reichenback is another type of glass, I understand that the reduction glass is more expensive due to the chemical reactions it has, my other question would be, why would people use the non reduction glass( the other nonreducing reichenback colors) due to it being so expensive. is it just for the particular colors? I mean this is just another type of glass, like boro, or spectrum, or moretti, right?

Is it really that much more expensive than say pink?

I don't think so. I make naked ladies out of it which uses about 3/4 of a rod. A thick rod. The reduction glass seems to come in inconsistant sizes at OCR.
Old 2006-10-27, 10:53am
Formerly Kellyhorton

I see what your saying, I guess I was thinking it was a whole different breed of glass and was just trying to get a handle on it. Still not sure what the difference is between a rod of glass as opposed to cane. Is cane a different coe? We dont call moretti cane, I guess that is what has me so confused.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

Old 2006-10-27, 11:44am
Missing presumed fed

You're right. It's confusing. Go to Arrow Springs. You can buy sample packets of a lot of the reduction frits so you can play with different sizes and colors, and you can buy it in stringer/thin rod (a/k/a "cane") form if you want.

reduction frits and stringer at Arrow Springs

All of the reduction glasses are different COE from Effetre/Moretti. They're 96 COE, or thereabouts. They're glass that's primarily used by glassblowers. When you get some, you'll see that they're all really, really dark. Most colors look nearly black or brown until you hold them up to the light. That's because when they're used by glassblowers, they're blown out really thin, so the color has to be really saturated. I can't help you on how the difference in the cane/rod terminology came about. If you ever buy glass from C.R. Loo, you'll see (I think -- haven't bought from them recently, but I don't think they've changed it) that they refer to Effetre "rods" as "cane." The bulk of C.R. Loo's business is glassblowing glass & tools, so they're used to thinking of rods as the big fat ones, and the little skinny 5-8 mm things that we use as "cane."

Some of the companies that made glass primarily for glassblowing have starting producing smaller sizes suitable for flameworking within the last couple of years -- Reichenbach, Gaffer, Kugler. You might run across the rod/cane terminology issue with those manufacturers, although I'm sure the distributors who sell mostly to beadmakers would use the "rod" terminology since that's what we're most familiar with.

Last edited by Emily; 2006-10-27 at 12:03pm.
Old 2006-10-28, 8:00am
Formerly Kellyhorton

thanks so much!!!!!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK