LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-02-03, 6:30pm

Default Oxy Con: Does It Have to Have Its Own Circuit?

It's been so cold in Texas I am getting ready to move my studio from my unheated garage into my semi-heated enclosed porch. I used to have my studio up there when I had a Hothead, and had my kiln blow the circuit breaker when on the circuit with my A/C. So I know to give the kiln its own circuit. But, what about the oxygen concentrator? Is it that particular also? Or can I put it on the same circuits as lights, etc. Thanks for any info, I am electrically challenged. Pam
Old 2007-02-03, 9:20pm

I have my kiln and both oxycons on the same circuit with no problem. I'm in Texas too, in Fort Worth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(website in construction)
Old 2007-02-03, 9:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisydog7 View Post
It's been so cold in Texas I am getting ready to move my studio from my unheated garage into my semi-heated enclosed porch. I used to have my studio up there when I had a Hothead, and had my kiln blow the circuit breaker when on the circuit with my A/C. So I know to give the kiln its own circuit. But, what about the oxygen concentrator? Is it that particular also? Or can I put it on the same circuits as lights, etc. Thanks for any info, I am electrically challenged. Pam
Kilns and AC are both high current devices. Kilns on 110volf can draw up to 14 amps, that is full capacity for most residential circuits...

AC units vary but the are also so high current appliances.

So AC and Kiln both need their own separate circuit to be effective and not interfere with each others operation.

A Oxy con ( 5lpm/7-8psi) draw around 4-7 amps depending on unit, you could run at least 2 on a separate 15 amp service...

IT really comes down too you need 3 separate circuits in studio for reliable operation of the three devices at same time....

You still need to power lighting and ventilation....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-02-03, 9:51pm

Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Well, I can do without a/c if I have to, so that's two circuits. I can air condition until it's time to torch. Where there's a will... Pam
Old 2007-02-03, 10:24pm
Crispy Critter

If it's any consolation, with proper ventilation the air from your A/C is going to get sucked out anyway.

Old 2007-02-05, 10:34am
Button Queen

Well, I do know for sure that one shouldn't put an oxycon and kiln on the same circuit as the furnace! Works great until the furnace kicks on.... Of course, who-da thunk that a back room on the opposite side of the house would be wired up to the same circuit as the furnace....!!!!
Old 2007-02-05, 11:31am
as in the state

I'm SO glad my brother's an electrician! He's even wired my shed with separate circuits for nearly everything...one for each kiln if I want! Now, if I can just get him to install the waste oil heater and the ventilation system, it'll be perfect for me to go home to!