Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-05-07, 9:47am

Default Need Advice from Bulleye Lovers

After 4 years of working with Moretti, I am now interested in working with Bullseye glass, too, after a great class with Deb Crowley. I have ordered a sample kit that includes a rod of every color.

I know it is really good for sculptural work, and am interested in knowing what it is like for beadmaking, too.

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who are experienced with Bullseye. What is it you especially like about it? What do you like to do with it? What have been your experiences with using it for beadmaking? What is it NOT good for? What are the weaknesses of working with this line of glass? I would love to see any pictures of your work with Bullseye. I appreciate your help.

This forum has given me great information thru the years, and I look forward to your information on this topic. Thanks, Gayl
Old 2008-05-07, 9:55am
You talkin to me?

I use it on occasion, not with Moretti of course, but it's a nice glass to work with IMO. Their dark colors are very nice. They have really nice clear, black, pink, and blues. The only drawback to Bullseye is the palette, not enough color variations for me. I'm sure there have been additions to the color chart since i've used mine, but I still wish they had as many colors as the other brands.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I work on a Minor burner, with an oxy-con and household natural gas
Old 2008-05-07, 10:27am

This may not be of much help to you - I'm probably much newer at this than you are.

I started with BE and only added Effetre in the last 2 months. I use a HH w/ propylene in a big tank.

The only thing that I don't like; is the white (BE) - it turns a grey color. The grey is nice but not when I wanted white. I like the overall control of the glass and I'm able to blend colors easier with BE than 104.

The white 104 - stays white.
Old 2008-05-07, 10:40am
Formerly Travelin'gal

I don't have any problems with white turning grey. That usually happens in a reduction flame, which since you are on a HH, it is likely.

I think BE has a great color palette. They add colors all the time. It is easy to work with, great for sculptural work, as it is stiffer the 104. I make beads all the time, and marbles. It is less reactive than moretti, and the opaque colors are more translucent, not as solid as 104 opaque colors, but they are trying to add more solid colors as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
~
~
Old 2008-05-07, 1:46pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Love BE's color palette! It may seem like Moretti has more colors - well maybe if you count all of the tones of each transparent blue, each transparent green, etc.

It seems to me that BE attempts to create new unique colors. When they add a new color to their regular line it always fills a void. A few years ago they added colors like Sunset Coral. It's a beautiful color! And the new odd lot of light Sunset Coral is different enough to justify it. This is an example of just one color that doesn't exist anywhere in the 104 palette in any line!

They have a whole range of beautiful greens and blues. And the pinks are just wonderful. There is a variety of purples also. There is also quite a selection in the neutrals.

I have no trouble keeping the whites white and the clear is actually clear.

The lustre colors are unique. They perfectly fit the COE and they are easy to work with. There isn't anything like the ambre lustre (gold) or the blue lustre (silver) in the 104 palette. Probably the closest in 104 is silver plum. So far BE only has two silver colors but they were pretty easy to work with right out of the gate.

Every time I get my BE out I wonder why I am hanging onto the 104 line. I guess it's probably because I started with it and I do enjoy some of the reactions.

But if I had to choose I'm pretty sure I would choose BE.

Old 2008-05-07, 2:21pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verre Manie View Post

The only thing that I don't like; is the white (BE) - it turns a grey color. The grey is nice but not when I wanted white. I like the overall control of the glass and I'm able to blend colors easier with BE than 104.

I was using HH before upgrading to minor and I never have any problem with BE white turns grey.

Either you are melt the glass to close or the flame to big?

And I was using big propane as well.

Old 2008-05-07, 6:25pm

Thank you so much for all your suggestions. I am taking notes on your glass color suggestions! I am glad to hear they have great blues and greens - my favorites - and am looking forward to being able to add some great purples in with them.

I have a few more questions. What do you use for ivory? That is one of my favorite Moretti colors. And which clear do you use for encasing? And how do you handle the odd lots? Do you try them out immediately so you can reorder your favorites? Are they usually pretty good?

I noticed Drew Fritts had a section in his book, Torchworked Marbles, Vol. 1 (2004), about Bullseye colors. He tested some rods and some sheet glass. He had some problems with scorching and clouding while making marbles. Have you had that problem with any Bullseye color while making beads?

Once again, thanks so much!

Gayl

Last edited by gsh; 2008-05-07 at 6:27pm.
Old 2008-05-07, 7:28pm
Dangerous Woman

One thing I love about BE is the consistency of the colors. Unlike Effetre where the same color may be different from batch to batch BE colors are - in my experience anyway - pretty much the same exact color each time. The thing I think I like the most though is how you can get different colors in one rod. Meaning some of their rods are kinda streaky and when you make a round bead you get variations. I guess after saying how the glass is always the some it sounds crazy to say they have variations. I'm not sure how to explain it. If you have used some of the vetrofund odd lots from last fall and winter they have like 2 toned rods that produce really cool effects. This is what I mean. As for the odd lots. If I see a color I think I'll like I'll order a few rods, and if I love it I try to get as much as I can afford. There are a few different BE sellers and often if one on sold out I may find what I want from another seller. And the pinks. I must mention the pinks. They are great. Fushias that I can only dream about in effetre.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2008-05-07, 7:37pm

Odd lots are just that - odd. Some are terrific, some aren't as good as you hope. When they are terrific, there is a good chance that BE will add them to their line. They are generally around only for a short time, so if I don't get one, I don't feel deprived. I like and use BE's discount program, so I don't always order them if I don't find enough to add up to that $250.

Can't say I have trouble with any of the colors. There are a variety of whites and they are each different. The transparents are great. Some of the opaques are 'denser' in colors than others. There's a learning curve in just figuring out what works best in what way - base, stringers, over white, etc. After 3 years, I'm still working on it. Since there isn't as much discussion on BE as there is on 104, you learn as you go to some extent.

I haven't regretted the change from 104 to BE. I spend much less on glass that everyone else love's and that doesn't do a thing for me. Now if my DH could just get my new fan adjusted I would be one happy camper.

The transparent tints are fantastic!
Old 2008-05-07, 8:39pm
Looking for my waistline

I love my BE stash! There are times I'm sorely tempted to sell off all my 104 and work entirely with BE.

I have a little trouble with the striking colors, and I have more trouble with cracked rod tips when I reintroduce them to the flame than I do with Effetre. Other than that, I can't complain about the product!
Old 2008-05-08, 12:02am
I need more boro stuff

You can use French Vanilla for ivory or nougat.
And on odd lot range, antique white is reactive ivory. (I haven't try mine... only have 5 rods LOL)

Before I bought Schott glass, I used Crystal clear for encasing. Now, I'm using Schott, cheaper.

Old 2008-05-08, 1:53pm

Thanks to everyone for all the great information! I, too, have not seen much discussion about BE thru the years, or maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention. Your comments are very helpful.

Where do you like to buy your Bullseye? I remember seeing sample packs being sold by Bullseye at the Gathering. Is that what entitles you to a future discount with them?

When I look at my BE catalog, I see a 5 lb. Hot Rodz Starter Pack for $144.45, and a Studio Rodz Pack that contains "an ample sampling of most Bullseye rods, and one-third pound of all standard rod colors plus a full pound of Stiff Black, French Vanilla, and Clear" for $495. Do you know which one leads to the discounted glass price in the future?

Thank you again for all your help. I would love to see pictures of some of your BE beads! Gayl
Old 2008-05-08, 1:56pm
I need more boro stuff

I bought my BE odd lots from Bridgetown.

Old 2008-05-08, 2:13pm
I'm a lilac!

I adore BE... I still use my 104 and my 96, but it seems like I'm spending the majority of my time with BE. Over the years I've accumulated so many special production colors that I actually have MORE colors of BE than I do of 104, including what must be over a dozen variations on opaque purple. The Studio Starter Pack is the one that sets you up with a studio discount on future rod orders over $250.

Most of the BE opaques are really "opal" colors, which means they aren't as creamy as 104 opaques, and can tend to thin out over other colors. This can be a feature or a bug, depending on your perspective.

For an ivory, I use either French Vanilla or Nougat, or one of the many odd lot variations like Lily White, depending on how much reaction I'm looking for.

One of the "can't live without" aspects of Bullseye is that all of their standard line of colors are available as frit, and it's CHEAP... crazy cheap. The transparent frits are absolutely a staple for me, and I have all of them.

The other thing I love is the clear. I go through phases where I encase everything, and it's the most trouble-free, smooth, melty, CLEAR clear I've ever used.

You will love this glass! Don't be shy about ordering the Special Prod colors... some of them are absolutely incredible. I'm biased of course, but if you don't order enough to get the discount from Bullseye, I think www.bridgetownglass.com is the best. Breezy and Loric are just awesome!

Old 2008-05-08, 2:21pm

The studio Rodz is 1/3 pound (6 rods) of most colors. When I got mine, there was only regular clear, and no garnet. There was 1 lb of fr vanilla, stiff black, and regular clear. ~37 pounds of glass. at ~18 rods per pound that's about 75-80 cents a rod. Very good deal. There are also no lusters included in this package.

Future purchases (stringer and rods only count toward this) over $250 retail get 50% off. You can even order by the rod and get half off that if you want to try just a few rods of the luster colors.

I bullseye. I'd pick it again if I had to choose. To find more information, try some of these threads.

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...light=bullseye
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...light=bullseye I know there are some posts in here about BE "boro" reactions

etc. While you're in this TIPs section, search this forum for bullseye. You'll get lots of hits here.

If you feel like wading back through posts, virtually all of my pictures are bullseye. I've got a few raku thrown in there. But mostly BE. and I usually list the "recipe" in my post.

My dislikes are few.
-You have to work a little harder to keep it warm than either 104 or 96 coe glasses.
-There's one particular thing that 104 ivory does that I can't duplicate in BE.
-ummmm not as many orange/red/yellow shades as I'd like.
Old 2008-05-08, 2:26pm

I forgot the clear. both are GREAT!, and there's the additional advantage of the tint colors. They are very pale versions of yellow, aqua, green blue, etc that are also great for encasing. This is especially nice for florals.
Old 2008-05-08, 2:41pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
-ummmm not as many orange/red/yellow shades as I'd like.

I kind of agree with you but the shades that are available are just wonderful!
Sunset Coral, Butterscotch, Pumpkin Orange and Burnt Orange are just incredible. These colors really aren't available in 104.

They have been trying out more odd lot reds - like the scarlet - so maybe they will eventually add a few more to the regular lines. It is true - there are only two opaque yellows but they are different from each other. And the pale yellow and coral tints don't really have a 104 equivalent either.

I'll have to try some layering and see what I get. I bet Sunset Coral layered over the yellows would be pretty. And silver foil used as a core for the Erbium pink yields a beautiful apricot color.

Last edited by MaryBeth; 2008-05-08 at 8:42pm.
Old 2008-05-08, 4:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh View Post
Thanks to everyone for all the great information! I, too, have not seen much discussion about BE thru the years, or maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention. Your comments are very helpful.

Where do you like to buy your Bullseye? I remember seeing sample packs being sold by Bullseye at the Gathering. Is that what entitles you to a future discount with them?

When I look at my BE catalog, I see a 5 lb. Hot Rodz Starter Pack for $144.45, and a Studio Rodz Pack that contains "an ample sampling of most Bullseye rods, and one-third pound of all standard rod colors plus a full pound of Stiff Black, French Vanilla, and Clear" for $495. Do you know which one leads to the discounted glass price in the future?

Thank you again for all your help. I would love to see pictures of some of your BE beads! Gayl
The Studio Rodz pack is the one that will give you the future discount.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-05-08, 4:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I see your question was already answered

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-05-08, 6:51pm

Default Lots of answers! Thanks!

You all have given me a wealth of information! Thank you so much! I am thrilled to get color info, frit info, buying info, and ideas for what you love about BE. I look forward to following up on those links, and checking out the beads you all have made.

I think the beautiful colors and translucent quality of the glass will be very exciting to work with. And a very different look from Moretti.

Somewhere I read that the edges get soft on some of the colors. Can anyone explain that a little more? Does that mean if you put dots of one color on base bead and melt them in they get a little blurry, or the glass bleeds a little? By being so translucent, does that mean the underneath color shows thru a little more?

Would you say the bright colors have a softer look than Moretti?

Sorry for asking so many questions!!! You can probably tell I am starting to go crazy with anticipation, while awaiting my sample pack to travel cross-country!!! Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions so thoroughly. I have truly benefitted from your efforts. Gayl
Old 2008-05-08, 7:51pm

Oh you will love Bullseye! Most of what I would say has been said already! If you are just starting flamedame.com has a special on The Bullseye Hot Rods Starter Pack. We also carry a lot of the older odd lots that came out and Schott clear!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-05-08, 8:03pm
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsh View Post
Somewhere I read that the edges get soft on some of the colors. Can anyone explain that a little more?
This one I can answer -- some of the colors don't form "edges" on certain other colors, so they just spread, and they don't "resist" when they run into one another on the same plane, so things go all smushy and shmeary. That's been my hardest learning curve - but the tool tips on their website gives info about what colors react, which don't, and especially point out the ones that "bleed" at higher temperatures.

Have fun!
Old 2008-05-08, 8:22pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

And most of the glasses are not truly opaque, so you will see the underneath color at the edges.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-05-08, 8:40pm

Lisa, which colors do you find that smoosh/run out on the edges? I've only really seen it with hematite -- unless I've been heating too fast. I can think of some neat things to do with that effect, but I haven't seen it much.

MaryBeth, I really like the red/orange that they have, including the golden green. And I really only wish they had a pale yellow opal and marigold in rod form. It's just that my glass holders for the red/orange/yellow section seems SOOO lonely compared to the blue/green/purple section...

Speaking of odd reds, Anybody got any oxblood or cherry cola pictures to share?
Old 2008-05-08, 8:44pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I have oxblood and cherry cola but I haven't used them yet! I need to and when I do I'll post pics!

I really need to use that cherry cola color I drink gallons of it

Old 2008-05-08, 8:44pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

stiff black will run if you heat it too much, as will the aventurines.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-05-09, 12:13am
Burn baby, burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaJ View Post
Lisa, which colors do you find that smoosh/run out on the edges? I've only really seen it with hematite -- unless I've been heating too fast. I can think of some neat things to do with that effect, but I haven't seen it much.
I get it on some of the light purples, pinks, blues - when I first tried doing stacked dots, and going for the EDP/blue/green/yellow style beads -- it was horrid - it didn't even look good in a funky way. If you do a search on the tool tips section, it will say something like "edges will spread under certain conditions, or longer heating " something along those lines. Sorry, but way past my bedtime, or I'd go look it up. I'll edit the post tomorrow when I find it. L

Here's the phrase: "When molten, this glass has a low viscosity and can be quite soft, which may result in a blurred edge where it meets other glasses." Pink, salmon pink, dusty lilac, gold purple, and the lusters.

Last edited by Lisa; 2008-05-09 at 5:07pm.
Old 2008-05-09, 12:46pm

Now that you mention stiff black, I used it as a base bead and scrolled it with a cane made from dense white and peach cream. When I etched them, the stiff black hardly etched at all but the cane etched beautifully--a great result that was very popular with my customers.

Nolly
Old 2008-05-09, 6:18pm

Default Any other favorite BE color combinations?

Such useful information on which colors get a blurred edge, and how they show thru at times. Thank you for being so specific. Thank you to everyone for your tips.

Paula, that IS a great price on your starter pack. I wish I had seen that last week!

I notice a lot of people leave the lustre decoration raised. Does that help prevent spreading? or just because it is so beautiful that way?!!

Nolly, thanks for the successful color combination!

Anyone else care to share a favorite BE color combination? (That will give me a head start when the sample pack finally arrives!)

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day, Gayl