No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-02, 6:50am
Formerly known as weasel

Default Laptop tied to desktop for printing

Is there a way that when my laptop is being used in another part of my home that it can be tied into the desktop printer? It is so frustrating at times when I need something printed off that I have to email it to my self in order to print later when I get back to my desktop. If so can you tell me how to so it please. Or should I just go and buy another printer?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-07-02, 7:17am
Flaming Redhead!

This is for XP but I suspect most operating systems will take you through the same steps...http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...utt_july2.mspx

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2008-07-02, 7:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
Is there a way that when my laptop is being used in another part of my home that it can be tied into the desktop printer? It is so frustrating at times when I need something printed off that I have to email it to my self in order to print later when I get back to my desktop. If so can you tell me how to so it please. Or should I just go and buy another printer?
If you have a wired or wireless network its pretty simple to setup the printer drivers on laptop using "other" computer for printer slave. It requires computer with printer to be turned and have a network identification.... If you have home network setup and functioning, all that is required on laptop is to specify on laptop "network name" (ID) of computer that hosts the printer...

IF you have home network, you can drag and drop (copy & paste) from one computer to other through systems "shared" files capabiluity...

IF you don't have home "network" there is "sneaker network" (floppy disk or "flash drive") on you can use internet "file storage" option you provider may provide you and you can store it there from lap top, and them pull it down from "storage" on system with printer, all this assumes you have online file storage option and i-net connection on both computers.

You should be able to find information on "network" printing or creating a shared file folder (to drag and drop) on computers (Windows?) help files.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2008-07-02, 7:20am

Set up a wireless local area network and define your printer on the network (as X-printer on your desktop computer). I can print from anywhere in the house so long as the desktop and printer are turned on. If you don't already have a wireless router it might be cheaper to buy another printer, though.

Robert
Old 2008-07-02, 9:02am
Yeah me!

I have a wireless router that I bought a while back and it was the cheapest model and it was $70, so a printer would be cheaper but not as convienient.
Old 2008-07-02, 6:04pm
Formerly known as weasel

I have xp, so will look at that, I also have a wireless router, so now its just a matter of figuring the whole thing out and connecting it up.
Thank you everyone for all your help! Wish me luck!