No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-26, 10:15am
Formerly known as weasel

Default Christmas earrings

Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I was wondering beside snowman what else can you make in 104 that is quick and easy.
thank you all for your help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-26, 11:15am
Lampworkaholic!

I made some Christmas frit.

Bead examples were made on Effetre Red Filigrana, CiM Peace and Bullseye Transparent Chartreuse.

(I made too much frit so I am selling some in the Garage Sale.)

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-26, 11:17am
Formerly known as weasel

Well I was hoping there would be some suggestions for me. Gues I kind of lost touch with the group being gone fo over a year. Thanks any way.. Happy Holidays to all

Old 2010-11-26, 11:35am
Lampworkaholic!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-11-26, 2:39pm
Back to 👊 1

How about holly leaves and berries? Little trees? Christmas light lightbulbs?

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2010-11-26, 2:43pm
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
I understand the "rolling of the eyes". I just feel s tho I have lost contact with so maany people who used to jump in and give suggestions. Your suggestion of using frit is a good one, hoever I am not financially able to purchase things. I have been out of work since Jan '09 and I am trying to use what supplies I have here to make earrings for my craft shows I have left. Thank you for your suggestion, I will keep it in mind and hope there is some left.

Old 2010-11-26, 4:15pm

Well, for Christmas things... pretty much anything you can think of in red and green! Make red and green twisties, put on white base bead = instant Christmas. Any designs you like in those colours, really.

For non-abstracts, you can obviously make shaped beads, but also do things like putting a snowman or tree design on a lentil. Candy canes, other sweets, icicles, snowflakes drawn with stringer, 'icy' stacked dots. Mica powder for glitter, if you have any. White enamel or powder frit for snow. Stars. Snowballs, dewdrop frit. Little snowy landscape beads, starry skies, Santa hats. If you can make murrini, there are a whole load of possibilities while keeping them fairly simple.

It depends what supplies you have, but seriously, as long as you've got red and green you should be fine!

Try having a look on Etsy or in fact any Christmas decoration shop for inspiration? How would you represent tinsel? Etc etc.

This is everything that immediately came to mind, I hope some of it helps!

ETA: Heh, I looked at your website. The Christmas Joys set in particular is lovely. So you're already doing a bunch of what I've said. Was it specifically shaped beads you were wanting suggestions for?

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2010-11-26 at 4:22pm. Reason: addition
Old 2010-11-26, 4:28pm

Oh yeah, and I forgot etching with a resist. Keep your base bead simple and transparent. Draw a design on it with something like nail polish. Etch it, peel off the polish. Snowflakes, trees and so on. Have foil inside for extra glitter showing through.

|
|
|
|
Old 2010-11-26, 6:00pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsey View Post
I understand the "rolling of the eyes". I just feel s tho I have lost contact with so maany people who used to jump in and give suggestions. Your suggestion of using frit is a good one, hoever I am not financially able to purchase things. I have been out of work since Jan '09 and I am trying to use what supplies I have here to make earrings for my craft shows I have left. Thank you for your suggestion, I will keep it in mind and hope there is some left.
I'd be happy to send you some frit - just pm me your address. You didn't mention your circumstances and I thought you might have some frit on hand, maybe even in the right colors.

I think at this time of year you have to give people a little extra time to respond to a post because lots of people are busy with family, cooking, shopping, etc. It's not because people have forgotten you, people are always happy to help whether you are an old timer or new to lampwork.

Old 2010-11-26, 6:51pm

How about Christmas trees?
Old 2010-11-26, 6:52pm

Quote:
I think the eye rolling is only because you just asked today and hadn't given us too much time to answer your question before you posted what sounded like a forlorn "you've forgotten me" type of note.

Don't take it too seriously.

What colors do you have on hand? That might help with suggestions.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-11-26, 7:24pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Do you have a lentil press? I've done real well with peppermint beads and earrings this year.
Not everyone likes cutesy too.Try making some elegant or simple red and green xmas earrings.

Old 2010-11-26, 8:55pm
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalorlo View Post
Well, for Christmas things... pretty much anything you can think of in red and green! Make red and green twisties, put on white base bead = instant Christmas. Any designs you like in those colours, really.

For non-abstracts, you can obviously make shaped beads, but also do things like putting a snowman or tree design on a lentil. Candy canes, other sweets, icicles, snowflakes drawn with stringer, 'icy' stacked dots. Mica powder for glitter, if you have any. White enamel or powder frit for snow. Stars. Snowballs, dewdrop frit. Little snowy landscape beads, starry skies, Santa hats. If you can make murrini, there are a whole load of possibilities while keeping them fairly simple.

It depends what supplies you have, but seriously, as long as you've got red and green you should be fine!

Try having a look on Etsy or in fact any Christmas decoration shop for inspiration? How would you represent tinsel? Etc etc.

This is everything that immediately came to mind, I hope some of it helps!

ETA: Heh, I looked at your website. The Christmas Joys set in particular is lovely. So you're already doing a bunch of what I've said. Was it specifically shaped beads you were wanting suggestions for?
Kalorlo
Thank you so much forthe comment about my website. Yes I was looking for specific shapes, I have snowman and stockings, and now have a few more ideas to. I don't make murini, wish I knew how,something great just came to my mind with the murini.

Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Old 2010-11-26, 9:13pm
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
I think the eye rolling is only because you just asked today and hadn't given us too much time to answer your question before you posted what sounded like a forlorn "you've forgotten me" type of note.

Don't take it too seriously.

What colors do you have on hand? That might help with suggestions.

Sue
I guess that when I checked back and saw 30 people reading the thread and no one had answered, I immediately went into the "I'v been forgotten" mode. so now I bow down and ask forgivness for my actions.

Old 2010-11-26, 9:14pm
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
How about Christmas trees?
How would I do these? This sounds like a great idea!

Old 2010-11-26, 9:17pm
Formerly known as weasel

Thank you everyone for the suggestions...... I feel reallly bad now for being so foolish and not givingg people time to answer, but when you want to torch, you want an answer now....LOL

Old 2010-11-26, 10:52pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Well I was hoping there would be some suggestions for me. Gues I kind of lost touch with the group being gone fo over a year. Thanks any way.. Happy Holidays to all
Day after Thanksgiving... forums are dead. Every forum I post on, anyway. I don't have any suggestions to speak of... little round beads to look like ornaments? Christmas tree beads? Good luck.

Old 2010-11-27, 1:30am
FireBeads

I make Christmas trees by making disks - small, medium & large and stacking them. Use a silver seed bead for the top and a brown for the bottom. Sometimes I add random red dots on the disks. They're fast and easy and have movement. Try some green aventurine if you've got it or pixie dust.
Old 2010-11-27, 1:58am
I need more boro stuff

You can make animal beads and put Xmas hat on them

Old 2010-11-27, 5:38am

Quote:
I guess that when I checked back and saw 30 people reading the thread and no one had answered, I immediately went into the "I'v been forgotten" mode. so now I bow down and ask forgivness for my actions.
Wilma,

That's the beauty of a glassy family like LE- we can kick butt in one sentence and love you in the next! lol Welcome back, lady- where have you been?

My recommendation is to not focus too much on red/green/white because you want your jewelry worn all year round, not just at Christmas.

My understanding is that cobalt blue is always a winner. (My hard part is making two alike!) Cobalt blue on white is a good simple combo. Someone said recently her dots aren't selling but I think dots are good. Twisties of cobalt and white over white would leave cobalt blue designs standing on their own in a pattern you wouldn't get otherwise.

Just a thought.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-11-27, 5:52am

I was going to suggest xmas trees too but never thought of the disk method. I don't know if you have any lustre powder, but making simple round beads w/a little bit of lustre powder can do the trick. Maybe try little snow flakes...They may be tough to make since they'd be so small....

Happy creating

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2010-11-27, 6:13am
Run Free Sweet Boy

penguins, icicles, snow flakes, trees, cardinal birds and berries, holly, snow balls using the "sugared" tecnique, bells with holly etc, candy canes, wrapped boxes with a ribbon basically squares with ribbon stringer work, elf,

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-11-27, 7:04am

Christmas tree - make a cone shape, wrap a piece of stringer in a spiral down the tree for garland, add dots for ornaments.
Old 2010-11-27, 7:13am
Lampworkaholic!

Some great ideas here, I may have to try a few.

Old 2010-11-27, 10:16am
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
Wilma,

That's the beauty of a glassy family like LE- we can kick butt in one sentence and love you in the next! lol Welcome back, lady- where have you been?

My recommendation is to not focus too much on red/green/white because you want your jewelry worn all year round, not just at Christmas.

My understanding is that cobalt blue is always a winner. (My hard part is making two alike!) Cobalt blue on white is a good simple combo. Someone said recently her dots aren't selling but I think dots are good. Twisties of cobalt and white over white would leave cobalt blue designs standing on their own in a pattern you wouldn't get otherwise.

Just a thought.

Sue
Gret idea Sue and thank you for the welcome back. I have been having a big pity party since 1/09 when I lost my job. i did a complete shutdown of everything. finally realized that screw the pity, start back to what you love doing. Then in September I had surgery, disc fusion, came through feeling like a million bucks. Three weeks to the date of surgery Icame down with thrush, herpes and shingles. Still am fighting to get rid of the shingles, but trying to make some money so as I can get my sone some gifts for Xmas. Left a secret samta wish too, but tried not to ask for too much. I just wish that I could find a part time bookkeeper job to work at home with and that I would get my health back. My imune system must be very low as I now have a cold I am fighting. glad I got the pneumonia shot. sorry I didn't mean to turn thi into a sob story about my life.
Going to check and seee if I have any colbolt blue to play with. thank you Sue!

Old 2010-11-27, 10:18am
Formerly known as weasel

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
I was going to suggest xmas trees too but never thought of the disk method. I don't know if you have any lustre powder, but making simple round beads w/a little bit of lustre powder can do the trick. Maybe try little snow flakes...They may be tough to make since they'd be so small....

Happy creating

Duane
Thanks Duane, but no I don't have any luster powder. But will try the trees.

Old 2010-11-27, 10:21am
Formerly known as weasel

You guys are all amazing and I thank you for your help What is the sugared technique?
Hints on how to make candy canes pretty please.
Thank you again everyone, and Happy Holidays.

Old 2010-11-27, 11:15am
Never give up

Check your local recycle center for glass. They may have some bottles and you can use that glass. Somewhere on here is a whole post on recyled glass. Good luck. Oh yeah snowballs, christmas tree lights and on and on.
Old 2010-11-27, 7:49pm

I take the Wilton cake decorated silver tube and use it as my shape for the tree. I then wrap green wire around it. You can use silver wire or whatever colored wire you want. I use 20 ga. for my wire. Coil it around the tube. Take it off and then super glue colored seed beads spaced like ornaments on the wire to it. . Add a star bead on top. Instant Christmas tree. Add you hook and your ready to sell.I sell alot of these. Everyone loves them.
Hope this helps.
Janet C
Old 2010-11-27, 8:16pm
Formerly known as weasel

Fantastic idea! Monday I wll try and find a place that sells the silver tubes. Wow I am excited now! Thank you so very much!