Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-12-20, 5:14am

Default Khalypso or Aurae

Hi guys! Which one is it that can turn into a really nice (almost fuschia) pink if treated the right way...Khalypso or Aurae...or Both?

Thanks

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-12-20, 5:18am
beads....mmmm

In my world, it's Kalypso.

::
Old 2012-12-20, 6:04am

Both. Put down super hot. Let cool. Reduce. Then encase in clear without overheating.

Old 2012-12-20, 6:07am
FatCat Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
In my world, it's Kalypso.

Same for me. This has a base of ASK Clear, a thin layer of Kalypso, then encased in clear. I think I overdid the reduction in the center, though.

Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
Albert Einstein

Orange Cricket with 10L oxycon and NG
Old 2012-12-20, 7:06am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

Hi Duane!!

These are made with Kalypso! I love this color... and I am running out of it!!

Aurae is really nice too but I prefer Kalypso!
Attached Images

Old 2012-12-20, 7:31am
Formerly FishBulb

Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Every Kalypso bead I've made has been an icky over-reduced blech. The beads here are stunning!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2012-12-20, 7:59am
~ a.k.a. Sharlee22 ~

I am turning on the propane at bit, not having a huge reducing flame. And I just flash the Kalypso so it keeps shiny, then I encase.

Old 2012-12-20, 8:23am
Lampworkaholic!

Clio!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-20, 8:23am

Kalypso for me too. Aurae is more blueish for me.
Angie, are you burning the haze off? It doesn't have to be molten and drippy, I get up close to the torch face (because I can on my torch without ruining it, so be careful) and have a small hissy oxy rich flame and just chase the haze from the surface. Then I go back to a normal flame and flash the bead through until it gets some shine. This is going to take some experimentation for your personal flame chemistry and the look you want. Sometimes a neutral flame will do it, sometimes a slightly reducing flame will do it too but different.

I used to dislike Kalypso but when I go for the DH colors I use it almost every time now.

Old 2012-12-20, 5:29pm
Born Facing Left

I've never even heard of Kalypso. Sheesh. It's purty.

Old 2012-12-20, 8:29pm
Formerly FishBulb

Rebecca, no, I hadn't even thought of trying that. I still have a rod and a half and will give that a shot, thank you!

Old 2012-12-20, 8:29pm
Formerly FishBulb

Oh, and I've gotten nice pinks out of Ekho. If I can find pics I'll post them.

Old 2012-12-20, 9:01pm
Sheila Davis Designs

Kalypso for me too. A light reduction is key to a hot pink.
Attached Images

Old 2012-12-20, 9:25pm
da General

Kalypso, Clio, and Ekho all yield pink under encasement. Aurae is more purple (its test batch was called Pinky Purple Luster - or gold with Aether.

Here is an example of Kalypso encased - the flowers, and Kalypso unencased in the dots. Beautiful glass!

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Hayley; 2012-12-20 at 9:28pm.
Old 2012-12-21, 4:02am

Aurae

Clio

No Kalypso here.

Elke
Old 2012-12-21, 5:24am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! So beautiful! Love the colors.
Old 2012-12-21, 9:45am

Thanks for all the tips and pics! The pics are really nice of the clio, too but that stuff never gave me the time of day

Duane

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2012-12-21, 10:25am
da General

Clio, Ekho, and Kalypso are all silver glass that both strike and reduce, thus allowing a wide range of colors from purples to pale pinks under clear encasement. It all depends on how you strike it, how you reduce it, how you encase it, how much heat you use, and how long you work it.

Here is a good example of how similar they are. Left two beads are Kalypso, right two beads are Clio, and the middle one is Ekho, all encased in Zephyr.

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-12-21, 11:52am

Hayley, love that flowered bead! Is that opal yellow around the center (if you feel like sharing ) Gayl
Old 2012-12-21, 1:19pm
da General

Thank you, Gay. It sure is OY!

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-12-22, 12:28am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

These are both Kalypso - unencased & encased.

ETA - I think this one is Kalypso as well.

Last edited by MrsD; 2012-12-22 at 12:31am.
Old 2012-12-22, 9:59am
maybe tomorrow

These are both Kalypso over white, then encased. They've just been struck a little differently.

Old 2012-12-22, 10:35am
Storm Queen

You can pretty much get the same colors out of Clio and Kalypso depending on how you work it. However Kalypso is easier to use so you'll have better luck with it.

Old 2012-12-23, 10:18pm

I prefer Aurae, but the Kalypso beads in here are awesome!

Aurae flowers:

Old 2012-12-23, 11:00pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
These are both Kalypso over white, then encased. They've just been struck a little differently.

Toni those are beautiful. May I ask if you reduced the Kalypso before you encased it?

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-12-24, 12:28pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads View Post
Toni those are beautiful. May I ask if you reduced the Kalypso before you encased it?
Thanks! The short answer is "yes". There is a bit of a sheen that doesn't show well in photographs.

The long answer is:

I make the white core and encase it with Kalypso, then get it white hot and try to keep it there as long as I can without it dripping off the mandrel.

I then shape it quickly and make sure I "clean" it with an oxidizing flame very briefly to get off any residual reduction (I have a mini cc and it tends to be a bit reducing), and get the core shaped.

If I've done it right, this will be a dark brownish color.

I then very lightly reduce it and quickly encase it.

I work much cooler after that initial white hot stage and try to not get it at more than an orange glow. The hotter I get it at the later stages, the lighter the strike ends up.

Old 2012-12-24, 1:41pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
Thanks! The short answer is "yes". There is a bit of a sheen that doesn't show well in photographs.

The long answer is:

I make the white core and encase it with Kalypso, then get it white hot and try to keep it there as long as I can without it dripping off the mandrel.

I then shape it quickly and make sure I "clean" it with an oxidizing flame very briefly to get off any residual reduction (I have a mini cc and it tends to be a bit reducing), and get the core shaped.

If I've done it right, this will be a dark brownish color.

I then very lightly reduce it and quickly encase it.

I work much cooler after that initial white hot stage and try to not get it at more than an orange glow. The hotter I get it at the later stages, the lighter the strike ends up.
Thanks Toni! I'm going to pull out my Kalypso and try it again.