Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2016-06-23, 11:45am
Everlasting Fire Studio

Default Encasement Question

Hello Boro Friends,

Ahh! Sorry, my computer sent the post in the middle of typing:

So, I'm a soft glass person at heart. I've started boro in the last year. I'm struggling to get a clean encasement (no lines or bubbles) of marbles, and paperweights. Think nothing about 1.5" in size or bigger here typically.

Any tips and advice? Soft glass was always so easy to get clean and consistent. I do a single wrap around, or stripe method and still have issues. I try to get the glass as hot as possible before striping or wrapping, but sometimes worry I'm gonna boil it.

Thanks for any help,

Elektra

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625

Last edited by Elektra; 2016-06-23 at 11:49am. Reason: sent too soon!
Old 2016-06-23, 11:59am
ManBearPig

When you lay the clear glass on, don't press it down. Just lay it on. It doesn't need to be super hot. Then lay the one next to it and have it touching but not melted down. And so on. And make sure that where the lines of clear end they are not completely melted down.

It sounds weird, but if you do it that way and start at one end and work towards the other, as the clear melts down, it will drive the air out and give you a nice clean encasement. You do need to clean up the ends if you are doing a marble or something.

You can also take a tube and put around a marble to encase it. That works okay as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-06-25, 1:54am
Phill

And cleaning the glass can be an issue as well.

I don't do boro but I have also heard that some sources of clear glass are better than others. I don't know which to recommend though.

Good luck
Old 2016-06-25, 6:18am
ManBearPig

Simax is all I use. I used to use Kimble but I heard the formula changed. Not sure if that's the case or not but it doesn't work like it used to. Plus it's getting more expensive and harder to find.

Old 2016-06-25, 12:08pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Yeah, we only have Simax here in the studio. I'm gearing up for an ornament class right now, but I'll give it a try next week! I'm getting more clear on Monday.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2016-07-03, 7:58am

I'm assuming you are talking about encasing beads? If so, after making the bead I put the clear on center and then gather like I'm making a disc bead. Make the disc height twice the diameter of the bead. As you melt down the disc it will spread over the sides and naturally form the dimpled ends.
Old 2016-07-11, 1:34pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourpawsglass View Post
I'm assuming you are talking about encasing beads? If so, after making the bead I put the clear on center and then gather like I'm making a disc bead. Make the disc height twice the diameter of the bead. As you melt down the disc it will spread over the sides and naturally form the dimpled ends.
Sorry if I was unclear (hah! pun!), no it's not about beads. I can encase beads just fine (working in soft glass). With boro I'm working on paperweights and marbles, so it's not quite the same.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2016-07-12, 4:36pm
Borovangelist

Sometimes, even with the nicest clear, you need to strip the outside of the rod.

I use Schott, but only because of good pricing (Salt City if you're interested). Plus, they have the larger sizes I was looking for.

|
|