Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-08-27, 11:09am
one day at a time

Default Generator and torch problem, really stuck....help please??

I have asked these questions before and had not received any answers. Maybe someone will chime in this time.

I am the only person (it seems) on this planet that owns this generator: Airsep AS-12A, (high pressure model) This is a real generator, not a beefed up concentrator. I swear, no one else has one on these boards (LE, WC!) so I can't get any good advice.

I contacted the sales person that I got the machine from and told this person that I wanted to upgrade to a hotter torch than my Bobcat, and needed to know if this machine could do the work. It puts out 15lpm (I think, not sure) at pressures as high as 18psi, with the usual range up to 15psi.

Problem is, I think this person is just trying to sell me another machine. I was told I would need another one to run a Lynx! Bullshit, I'm not that stupid! Back in the day when I bought this thing, it made the OG15 look like a puff of wind, and also replacing parts on it would be less expensive and easier. Humidity, not a problem, that's another reason why I chose this model over the OG15.

I paid $2400 for it near three years ago. If I had known that these nowadays high power concentrators were going to be available, I would have waited and saved a hell of a lot of money.

So, you see, I can't get anywhere with a salesperson that I truly believe is trying to just sell me another $$$ machine rather than give me advice on a higher upgrade torch. Like I said, a red flag went up when he said I would need a dual set-up to run a Lynx. I'm not a dummy.

I really am curious to know if a Barracuda, Cheetah, or a Midrange Plus would run well on this machine, but the only way I will ever find out is to find someone close to me that I can take my generator to and try it out. I'm pretty sure that if I wanted a real biggie torch like a Phantom, I would use the center fire with the generator, and tanks with the outerfire, That is just common sense.

I don't know what else to do. Buy a torch, try it out and send it back if it doesn't work up to par??! I'm stuck...
Old 2006-08-27, 11:27am
Satake Woman!

Maybe someone near you has one you can borrow for a day? Or maybe you can host a torch party and people can bring their torches and play at your place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-08-27, 5:50pm
What, Me Worry?

Ok... I don't own a AS-12A or a Lynx. But this might help.

Here's the specs for the AS-12A
http://www.lacywest.com/AS12A.pdf

Here's a post by Kbinkster that makes reference to the Lynx - See post #2
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=Lynx

When I read the spec chart I find you can get 20 SCFH @ 20 PSI with 95% purity from the AS-12A.

When I read Kim's post it looks to me like the AS-12A will FULLY oxygenate the GTT torch, no problem at all.

BUT... check this with Kim. I can read specs, but I'm no expert on GTT torches.

Me
Old 2006-08-27, 7:08pm
PyronamixK

If that machine truely performs to those specs, then it should definitely power a Lynx to full capacity, like Bill said.

As for the Cheetah, I think it would do a great job, too. The Cheetah needs between 15 psi and 20 psi (I think 20 psi is more than it needs - I'll have to double check with Wally about the pressures.). It uses 22 cubic feet per hour (10.38 LPM) for it's top end flame.

As for the Barracuda, Bethlehem states that the Barracuda requires 42 cubic feet per hour (19.87 LPM) for the flow and 10 psi to 20 psi for the pressure. I would think that to get the most out of the Barracuda for boro work, you would want to have 20 psi. So, your machine would probably not power the Barracuda to full capacity. It's close, though. You could probably call Bethlehem and ask what they think of that generator.

I don't have the specs for the Midrange Plus.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2006-08-27 at 7:13pm.
Old 2006-08-27, 7:23pm
In search of her path....

Stef if your doing soft glass on the cheetah you should be ok if your doing boro you may want more than the 15 psi it puts out but even at 15 psi it should run a cheetah pretty well...maybe not at a complete 100% but it should be at close to 90% I keep my oxy on my tanks at about 20PSI and its perfect for me for my boro.

I think that you should be ok and be able to run most of the torches your look ing at at least at 90% or so which is pretty dam good. a lynx should definately run at 100% I think they are just trying to sell you another machine which is a bunch of crap but it might be maybe they just dont really know what it will power but they know what it puts out if that makes any sense.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-08-28, 7:40am
one day at a time

Thanks everybody, now I get a better idea of torch specs and this generator. I may end up with a Lynx after all. I need it for small to medium sized boro work, but I can get some good sized marbles and beads too.