Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-11-17, 12:17pm

Default Lynx with ONE concentrator?

Has anyone tried running a GTT Lynx off one of the garden variety (not high power) concentrators? I'm told I can use it for soft glass work with one of the 5L DeVilbiss models -- I'll keep bottled O2 around if I decide to use boro. Has anyone tried this? I don't really have space for two, or money for one of the larger models.

Thanks for any input you have --
Old 2006-11-17, 11:25pm
Corgi Cult Member

I've ran mine that way for about 5 yrs. I have a Puritan oxycon. I've never ran the Lynx on bottled oxy, nor have I worked on anything other than this setup and a HH, so.....maybe I don't know what I'm missing out on. LOL I can "fry" about any glass with ease. Can't imagine how bad I would boil everything if it was hotter. I have a tendency to run my flame slightly reducing which explains why I'm not great with rubino. Can't really blame that on the torch though.

I do think the torch is capable of getting a much bushier flame than what I do. I can get one about 3/4" wide. Don't know how much wider it would go on tanked. I have been making wine stoppers lately that take at least 3 rods of glass. This hasn't been a problem at all on my setup. I haven't done enough boro yet to be a good judge on it.

Not sure if my experience is typical or not. Not sure how many of us go with the lone oxy. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Kathy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-18, 12:58am
Formerly known as LT

When I first purchased my lynx I ran it on one OG15. I got only about 75% that way and decided to get another. I have ran it on tanked oxy as well so I could see what I was missing. I also had trouble with certain colors before I got another concentrator. I think the extra oxy helps get the right temp. not just hot. I know others have ran this torch on one concentrator and have been very happy. It's just my experience. I wanted to be able to use the torch as it was intended all around.
Old 2006-11-18, 9:44am

Wow, I would have thought the OG15 would have been sufficient. I hope others chime in too.
Old 2006-11-19, 1:59am
Formerly known as LT

It does run it but only to about 75%. When I first purchased the OG15 Fred (big guy at OGSI) told me it would be perfect, but after much prodding he told me that it would be a "good match" and that I should only expect about a 75-80% performance of this torch with this unit. I found it fine for small stuff but wanted to actually use the torch to it's fullest. When I purchased the second concentrator I realized what I was missing. I also compaired it to tanked oxy, huge difference. The two together are more than enough so the difference between them and tanked oxy now is about 3%. With a concentrator you never get as pure as tanked. That is why there is a tiny difference. There are many posts of happy people on less than a OG15 with a lynx. If you want to work the torch to it's potential you need more.
Old 2006-11-19, 2:13am

I ran my Lynx with 1 concentrator for a couple years and then got a second. Much better

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-19, 7:29pm

I've tried using 5lpm concentrator(s) (AirSep Elit) for my lynx and am currently on a high power concentrator (AirSep Intensity). IMHO, 1 "garden variety" will work but two is better and high power is the best.

I did some quick test and found that with:
1 normal oxycon - the torch will run but the candle of the biggest neutral flame I can get is 8mm. The flame is weak and un-defined and will flutter around at the slightest breeze. I can't really get a pin point flame and the only way to get a small flame is to turn down the propane.
2 normal oxycon - the flame is defined but the candle of the biggest neutral flame I can get is about 12mm. I can get a pin point flame by open the blue nob up.
1 high power oxycon - well defined flame and the candle of the biggest neutral flame I can get is around 20mm. Pin point flame is very strong and hot.

HTH

Cheers
Nancy