Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-12-06, 8:09pm
one day at a time

Default Comparison of my generator and my new concentrator

I have an oxy generator that I only know of a few people that have one like it. An Airsep AS-12A. It's got up to 15lpm (I think??) and 15-18psi. It was VERY expensive and I bought it more than three years ago, so that was before these lower cost generators came out. It was almost $2600! In a way I regret that I didn't wait and get one of these newer and cheaper ones, but I did purchase a very durable workhorse. I've been using it about 2 1/2 years and even in all this horrible humidity, never any problems with it as of yet.

I run the Bobcat with it and even though I had no other torch to compare with, I felt like this machine is "overkill" for a small torch. I get a very hot really long flame (like a foot and a half??) that melts boro very nicely and sometimes if I don't watch it, I "cook" soft glass. Just like I ruin Bullseye pinks everytime, too hot, all the time.

My glass buddy who is an RN got this Healthdyne concentrator from a nursing home, and it has 16,000 hours on it. He got three of them so he let me have this one for a couple of tools. The flame on the Bobcat is half the length and very different! It has a softer more bushy flame than with my generator. It's nice for soft glass! I made some of those pink BE beads and they turned out great! Now I don't have to go back to the HH to make these really bright "raspberry" beads that I make from that glass!

I'm SO happy! You would think that I would be happier with a BIGGER flame, and it's the opposite! Ha! Isn't that a twist??! Now I'm pretty sure that my generator is enough for a Cheetah, so that will be my next torch. Plus, I can use both machines in tandem for more o2 volume and better purity, I assume!
Old 2006-12-06, 8:15pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

congrats - so now we can see more of those yummy beads those raspberry beads are my faves of yours. I have a problem with Val's fuschia frit and the BE pinks though - mine keep cracking if I swirl the frit in
Old 2006-12-06, 8:25pm

Oh good! I remember you posted about having trouble with pink. I'm glad to hear you found a way to work with it!

I never would have thought it was your O2 that was preventing you from getting nice pinks.

Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-12-06, 8:47pm
PyronamixK

I have a quick question...

Some people operate their torches on concentrators/generators by opening the oxygen valves on the torch all the way and making the adjustments with the concentrator/generator.

Other people operate their torches on concentrators/generators by turning the concentrator/generator up and making all the adjustments with the torch valves.

Which way do you do it?

The Bobcat runs very well on a single low pressure 5 LPM concentrator. I'm very glad to hear that you can work the pinks you love so much!
Old 2006-12-06, 8:47pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
congrats - so now we can see more of those yummy beads those raspberry beads are my faves of yours. I have a problem with Val's fuschia frit and the BE pinks though - mine keep cracking if I swirl the frit in
Yeah, I know what you mean! I never swirl it in either, and I think the safest bet is to use the fine frit, like size #0 on Bullseye so it's only lightly on the surface.

It is slower making these beads now, but worth it because I can't get bulk propylene in my area for the HH anyway. (long story about supplier troubles)
Old 2006-12-06, 8:52pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
I have a quick question...

Some people operate their torches on concentrators/generators by opening the oxygen valves on the torch all the way and making the adjustments with the concentrator/generator.

Other people operate their torches on concentrators/generators by turning the concentrator/generator up and making all the adjustments with the torch valves.

Which way do you do it?

The Bobcat runs very well on a single low pressure 5 LPM concentrator. I'm very glad to hear that you can work the pinks you love so much!
My generator typically runs up to 15 psi, but can be adjusted up to 18. I have a small holding tank, so it is always at 13. The flowmeter ball is kept between 12 and 15. I make all the adjustments at the torch. I adjust a lot because some soft glass colors really can't take the heat like others will. Yah, I like to work hot and fast, but a split second if I don't keep my momentum, I drip glass on the worktable. lol

The concentrator, I put the flowmeter at 4 1/2.

Oh yeah, like I said, it's slower for the BE pinks than I'm used to melting BE with the Bobcat, but I'll get used to that.

Last edited by Lisi; 2006-12-06 at 8:55pm.
Old 2006-12-06, 8:56pm
PyronamixK

So, you set the flow meter and adjust the flame with the valves?
Old 2006-12-06, 9:26pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbinkster View Post
So, you set the flow meter and adjust the flame with the valves?
Yes, I rarely mess with the flowmeter on the generator, but I always check before every session. Torch valve is open when I do that.