Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2006-12-31, 11:55pm

Default How to hook up a BBQ tank to HH? Future Upgrades?

HELP!!!! Okay 1# MAPP is breaking the bank. And Hubby says get rid of it all (lampworking) or find a cheaper way. So, for now I HAVE to go to propane. He is the type of person, that until he sees awesome work created, he sees no reason to spend any funds.

So for now I can get away with the BBQ propane refills. My first question is how do I hook it up? Do I need anything extra? It will be interesting to figure out how to get the tank hooked up outside, that is for sure.

Also, (for down the road) what is the cheapest way to upgrade from a HH torch to something better?

Thanks everyone for all your information, Leigh
Old 2007-01-01, 1:04am

You can buy a simple connector, i will get the exact name for it tomorrow, the box is in the car and its 3am here, so i dont quite feel like going outside atm, I actually just bought this handy little piece of exuiptment at ace hardware today for 22 bucks. Personally i like propane better, it seems hotter imho. But i did hook it up to my bbq tank and the torch and it worked just fine!
Old 2007-01-01, 12:26pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You need a standard hose (for camping) that has a CGA 510 connector on one end (for propane tank) and a "1 inch X 20 disposable connector" on other end.... Try to find length that allow bulk tank to remain outside and torch can be used inside. Length are available up to about 20 feet...

Lot more information here....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-01, 5:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Glass Vixen
You can buy a simple connector, i will get the exact name for it tomorrow, the box is in the car and its 3am here, so i dont quite feel like going outside atm, I actually just bought this handy little piece of exuiptment at ace hardware today for 22 bucks. Personally i like propane better, it seems hotter imho. But i did hook it up to my bbq tank and the torch and it worked just fine!
Thanks a bunch! Right now I am having a very frustrating mess going on with my setup currently. Any info will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
You need a standard hose (for camping) that has a CGA 510 connector on one end (for propane tank) and a "1 inch X 20 disposable connector" on other end.... Try to find length that allow bulk tank to remain outside and torch can be used inside. Length are available up to about 20 feet...

Lot more information here....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Dale
Dale, thanks a bunch. I will get over there and read up to see what I can learn. I am currently having issues with the torch I am using - a fireworks brand/HH hopefully on the way - The flame was fine for about a week and now I can only get a small flame and there isn't enough heat to get going very well on even a small plain bead (takes about 20 minutes to make a very small donut shaped bead). I put a new can of MAPP gas on and it is the same thing no matter how high I turn it up. UGH! I can't see anything inside the torch head but, I suppose that doesn't mean anything. Oh well I am off to read, Leigh
Old 2007-01-01, 8:46pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You are doing correct thing dumping Fireworks torch... Its crap... Hot Head much better fuel/air torch...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-02, 1:19pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I spend about 10 hours on the torch a week (ish) and I've had 1 bbq tank last FOREVER. Still hasn't run out. (started torching in early november.)

It's nice to be able to sit down for hours and not have to worry.